Just had an awful AL con weekend

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
One thing I thought about today, maybe having generic entries in the CotN schedule for "Adventurers League", and then something like "Schedule and sign-ups on http- warhorn.etc... for CotN games" in the book.

I think Jon wanted to do this, but was told he had to use the Con reg system -- though they couldn't officially stop him from also using Warhorn (at least as far as I know -- I wasn't that plugged into the process).

With that said, there are advantages to using the Con reg process -- not least of which is folks like MNblockhead and others who aren't already 'insiders' can find out what's going on and participate. I think the quest to find the ideal compromise is still ongoing.

I actually know a guy that's planning on running at least one Delta Green game at CotN next year, Pauper. Maybe we can get in on a table of DG together. :)

That sounds pretty awesome!

--
Pauper

Anthraxus

Explorer
I think Jon wanted to do this, but was told he had to use the Con reg system -- though they couldn't officially stop him from also using Warhorn (at least as far as I know -- I wasn't that plugged into the process).
--
Pauper

That's kinda what I was wondering, if the Con likes things scheduled a certain way(which does not work well for AL), and doesn't want it scheduled on warhorn(which is better for AL), then there's the problem... :p

discosoc

First Post
Sometimes I wish more people would walk away from bad experiences like this with motivation to start DMing rather than simply complain. I've known plenty of DM's who burn out at Con time because it's a generally crappy experience. Last minute assignments, hit-or-miss group chemistry, noise levels, and of course the extra time and effort required to prep for the thing. It's nothing like a home game, or even a small LFGS session, and there's basically not much in the way of an upside to even doing it. Most of the time, you don't even get a chance to go around and enjoy the Con yourself, so it's more like an unpaid job.

I also firmly believe that behind every crappy DM who's on a power trip, not prepared, etc, is a DM who's probably really good with his own group and material. The job just wears you down, and sometimes all it takes is a few bad experiences with a kid who's simply aiming to break your session to "test" you before you start resenting the experiences.

Anyway, I have run a Con game in a long time, but it sounds like nothing has really changed aside from the scale of it. Really need to start paying these guys to do it.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Are you volunteering to organize it? ; ) .... If you've got project manager experience, you might be a better fit to help organize this stuff than you realize!

I would consider *helping* to organize it, but I couldn't take the lead. Just too much going on with work and family.

I think this would help, though it still adds to the complexity for the event goer and I expect many registrants will miss it.

I think it would be better to NOT let anyone register for an AL event using the Con registration process. Instead, simply advertise the locations and time blocks where it will be happening and instruct people to sign up at Warhorn. For example, the Con of the North prominently advertise Fai Chen's, even though it was not something you could sign up for. Just do the same thing for ALL of AL.

Personally, I think AL is big enough, and organized enough, that it would do better to have its own AL-specific event. Something like the Pathfinder Society charity event held at Fantasy Flight's Game Center. SkålCon is a three-day PFS convention organized with War Horn. I would love to see something like that for Adventurer's League. ...

We just had an AL-only con (Hero Camp) in Madison last month.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Nice! Where was it advertised? I would consider making the drive from the Twin Cities to attend next year.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Hello, [MENTION=6863496]Zene[/MENTION].

My name, as my handle would strongly imply, is Chris Carlson. I am one of Strategicon's board members and Operations Coordinator for the entire show. First, I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for the terrible time you had at our event.

I would also appreciate it if you would let me know more details, via PM is fine if you prefer. Names of the DMs you had problems with (especially the inappropriate jerk) being my priority at this time. I take these things very seriously. I would like to address this with my AL department heads and make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again. For anyone.

If you'd also be willing to give me your real name, and or badge number if you still have it, I'd appreciate it. Again, privately is totally fine. PM me, please. I'd like to discuss this further with you and maybe even be able to offer some form of remuneration for your trouble.

Chris Carlson
Operations Coordinator
Strategicon

Zene

First Post
Hello, [MENTION=6863496]Zene[/MENTION].

My name, as my handle would strongly imply, is Chris Carlson. I am one of Strategicon's board members and Operations Coordinator for the entire show. First, I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize for the terrible time you had at our event.

I would also appreciate it if you would let me know more details, via PM is fine if you prefer. Names of the DMs you had problems with (especially the inappropriate jerk) being my priority at this time. I take these things very seriously. I would like to address this with my AL department heads and make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again. For anyone.

If you'd also be willing to give me your real name, and or badge number if you still have it, I'd appreciate it. Again, privately is totally fine. PM me, please. I'd like to discuss this further with you and maybe even be able to offer some form of remuneration for your trouble.

Chris Carlson
Operations Coordinator
Strategicon

Chris, thanks so much for the outreach. I will definitely get some details together in a PM to you, with names (including the couple I encountered that did a stellar job), when I get a chance. Should be able to do it in the next day or so.

Remove ads