D&D 5E Repeatable DPR Kings

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Since the previous thread seems to have disappeared, at least to my search-fu, here's its replacement.

We're going to be a bit more technical with this than before though. It will measure both average damage per round, assuming hits, and a cross chart of actual damage (average damage * accuracy) against a range of ACs (from 1 to 30).

I'm also adding the "repeatable" tag to it. If you can nova all your resources and do a septillion damage and then nothing, that's certainly impressive, but not really practical.

From below this line, anyone can edit to add submissions.
[MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION]: All books and UA are allowed, also the AL's +1 source rule is not in force.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half-Elf Barbarian 2/Champion Fighter 5/Swashbuckler Rogue 13
by @Yunru

The core of this build is to get in, recklessly attack three times, and fish for criticals. It combines Elven Accuracy, Reckless Attack, and Improved Critical for maximum critical hit chance, which has a convenient side effect of being hyper-accurate even when it doesn't score a critical. It also serves of a perfect example of why the cross chart is helpful. It deals moderate damage, but with a precision that makes it stronger than at first glance.

Starting stats are:
16 Strength
14 Dexterity
16 Constitution
8 Intelligence
10 Wisdom
10 Charisma

Equipment consists of dual-wielding Scimitars from the get go.
At level 6, you pick up Elven Accuracy.
At level 11, we +2 Strength.
At level 15, we +2 Strength.
At level 17, we have a spare ASI. Probably +2 Con to live more.
At level 19, we have a spare ASI. Probably +2 Con to live more.

When attacking, always use Reckless Attack unless you have another source of advantage, and only apply Sneak Attack if it's either a critical hit, or your last attack.

Level1234567891011121314151617181920
Average Damage per Round10.3510.682513.682513.682514.3314.89722.345527.989527.989533.633636.633642.277642.277647.921650.921656.565656.565662.209762.209767.8537

Actual Damage vs. AC

Last edited by a moderator:

faria

First Post
How do you guarantee Sneak Attack each round? The Ranger levels may be worth it if the boost in damage is more reliable. Plus, spells...

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
A few things I've noticed:
1. Reckless attack only affect the first attack.

~ Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first attack on your turn, you can decide to attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn ~ (PHB 48)

2. With Scimitars you'd probably do better with a Dex build. (Just my opinion is all)

3. You can't get the bonus of Rage unless you use a strength based weapon.

~ When you make a melee weapon attack using Strength, you gain a bonus to the damage roll that increases as you gain levels as a barbarian, as shown in the Rage Damage column of the Barbarian table ~ (PHB 48)

4. Sneak Attack applies only once per turn

~ Beginning at 1st level, you know how to strike subtly and exploit a foe’s distraction. Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. ~ (PHB 96)

5. Taking Ranger 3 levels you take Hunter's Conclaive for Colossus Slayer.

So by forgoing Barbarian and 1 level of rogue, you lose 1d6 for sneak attack and your Elegant Maneuver. HOWEVER you gain Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, another Fighting Style (Defence for more AC?), Spellcasting to buff yourself, Hunter's Mark from your spell lists (Does an additional 1d6 for EVERY HIT), AND an additional 1d8 from the Hunter's Conclaive.

With this you gain advantage on creatures who've not yet acted.
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf

By taking Ranger instead, you effectively increased your DPR by 1d8. If you take the Spells:
1. Hunters Mark you can make up for your lost d6 sneak attack
2. Absorb Elements, you gain an additional d6 if you took elemental damage
3. Cure wounds for survival reasons

I dont know the actual math of all of it but by going this route I'm pretty sure you deal 1d6 and 1d8 more damage per round. First round it wont be much but after that you'll do ALOT

Also as you level up you might want to think about taking the Dual Weapon Feat so you can switch weapons to Rapiers which do 1d8 instead of the Scimitar's 1d6

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
1. Reckless Attack gives you advantage on "melee weapon attack rolls using Strength during this turn." All of them.

2. See 1. You need to use Strength.

3. Who cares about Rage? That said, you're using Strength anyway so it doesn't matter.

4. Sneak Attack is only applied once per turn.

Hence by taking Ranger instead of Barbarian, you tank your DPR as you lose reliable advantage every turn. Hunter's Mark doesn't compensate because you're using your bonus action to TWF. If you swap levels of Rogue for Ranger, you still miss out as you swap 2d6 for 1d8.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
May I suggest a rating system?

Most play seems to be in the earlier levels, and some combinations only come together late so aren't as generally strong.

I suggest we have a decreasing multiplier per level, sum them all (and round at the end). Say we picked 25 - it would be 25 * avg level 1 damage + 24 * lvl 2 + ... + 6 * avg lvl 20 damage.

Now, damage does increase dramatically over the levels, so this actually probably favors the mid levels more. Just plucking some numbers from Yunru's first entry (as it is on June 1, 2017), first level would add (25 * 10.35 = ) 258.75, eighth level adds ( 18 * 27.9895 = ) 503.811, fifteenth adds ( 11 * 50.9216 = ) 560.1376 - not that much more, while 20 gives ( 6 * 67.8537 = ) 407.1222.

I'm too lazy to total up all of them, that's what spreadsheets are for. I just did those few to show the curve to expect as a proof of concept. This is (26-lvl), I could easily see an argument for another base. Heck, I might argue a point or two less but then I don't get a lot of high level play.

Remove ads