The Journey To...Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

Role playing games are rooted in human myth and the continuation of oral tradition, up to and including the war games that are RPGs' direct ancestors. Although the stories that primarily drive play are derived from north and northwest Europe (Moorcock, Tolkien, various versions of Norse mythology), there is a vast and often neglected collection of human mythology and history available for play. The idea of this series is to talk about the history and mythology of other cultures and how players and game masters can incorporate this bounty into their own characters and stories. Today we journey to ancient China and the last days of the Han dynasty.

Role playing games are rooted in human myth and the continuation of oral tradition, up to and including the war games that are RPGs' direct ancestors. Although the stories that primarily drive play are derived from north and northwest Europe (Moorcock, Tolkien, various versions of Norse mythology), there is a vast and often neglected collection of human mythology and history available for play. The idea of this series is to talk about the history and mythology of other cultures and how players and game masters can incorporate this bounty into their own characters and stories. Today we journey to ancient China and the last days of the Han dynasty.

The Three Kingdoms is a period of Chinese history that has been covered by film, video game, and board games but seems underrepresented in RPGs. A real historical period between the fall of the Han dynasty and the beginning of the Jing, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a novel that has immortalized this period. The historical romance is attributed to Luo Guanzhong. Guanzhong takes historical events and transforms them into legend to tell a tale of war, politics, ambition, and betrayal. The fates of the nations of Wei, Shu, and Wu are entwined in an ever shifting world of alliances and personal politics.

With such a dense source material to work from, a game master won't lack for conflict and details to choose from. It is however, the focus on the personalities that makes the novel as well as the period a perfect sell for a campaign. Role playing games are about larger than life characters and few works of literature express this better than Romance. These are not mere mythological analogues, but actual people who lived, loved, and died during a tumultuous period in the history of one of Earth's greatest nations.

How can you use this? Romance of the Three Kingdoms is not a dungeon crawl setting. Where it can shine however, is as a campaign focused on politics and power, with high stakes decisions affecting the lives of millions. Every character will not be carrying a sword, which makes a game focused on the politics behind the battles extremely rewarding. A tale of families and politics on par with the War of the Roses / A Song of Ice and Fire is available for the ambitious game master willing to tackle the source material in depth. Of course there is plenty of fodder for individual heroes interacting with legendary figures like Liu Bei and / or the more metaphysical myths of Chinese lore. Indeed, combining Journey to the West with Romance of the Three Kingdoms would make for an outstanding play experience.

China has a long history and a wonderful mythology that goes beyond what we have talked about here. I recommend taking a look for yourself and breaking free from gaming tradition for a while to walk among legends who actually lived. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms is well worth the experience.
SaveSave

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
"Dao" is literally a single edged sword (a cutlass-like peasant sword). The primitive versions of a guandao are little more than a peasant sword on a stick for mounted combat. I'm not sure if one culture influenced the other, but I'd wager as soon as any civilization domesticated horses, lashing swords to poles wasn't far behind.
Evidently Japanese military technology was highly influenced by the Mongol invasions but yep, once you have horses you're going to see swords on sticks, as opposed to daggers on sticks (aka spears).

As to Chinese influence on the Japanese, the answer is "lots", as indeed they influenced the Vietnamese, Okinawans, and Koreans, though often with a certain amount of strident "but we're not Chinese!" as part of it. The Japanese even use Chinese characters in part of their writing.

Argyle King

Legend
I love Romance of The Three Kingdoms. I'm also a big fan of Nobanaga's Ambition in Japan and Genghis Khan. I've played games based on the ideas in those stories; I was first introduced to them as a young kid who happened to play the Romance game on NES.

I think there is plenty of material to draw from. I likely wouldn't use a d20 system though. (It could be done and likely done well, but I think other things would work better.) I think a game engine which is better suited to breadth of play rather than the typical D&D-style growing of numbers upon numbers would be better. Though, I suppose that depends upon what part of the setting(s) you would focus on. Personally, if I were to play a game like this, I would want the political intrigue and mass combat.

aramis erak

Legend
The problem with a chinese themed game, for me, is lack of knowledge coupled to too many time periods with huge differences.

Add on top of that the Japanese pseudo-chinese settings in much anime and manga... much disinformation there.

I know China has a lot of cultural mythology... and it is rife with chances for adventure... but it's just too broad to be a useful label, and the research materials scattered too thinly and across too many periods...

Japanese is similar, tho' less so — Japan has been exporting its culture and history as an exotica for almost a century now. Thank you, Meiji-Heika. Your Arrogance and pride hath made many a gamer happy by your spreading your history far and wide.

werekraken

First Post
A great of fantasy novel inspired by Chinese history and myth in general, and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms in particular is 'The Grace of Kings' by Ken Lui. There also is a sequel that I am planning to read later this year.

imredave

Explorer
On the magic card set

As for game versions - there was a Magic the Gathering set released themed around it - Portal, The Three Kingdoms. It had very limited release, in the Pacific/Asia region, and is about the hardest set to come by nowadays

Wow that's a really cool card set I have never seen before. Wonder why they didn't release it in the states.:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

I once did a "d20 Modern" campaign in this setting in the Yellow Turban period. (It seemed the best way to do no-magic D&D-like at the time.)

However, finding a large enough group of people familiar with Three Kingdoms is kind of hard. For the most part I only had two players (and an NPC doctor).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads