Price Disparity between AL and PFS at Origins.

Chuck Ocenasek

First Post
I am not looking to turn this into a pissing match between the better edition. At Origins I noticed AL adventures are 8 bucks while PFS were half that. I am curious why such a disparity. I wonder if it is a case of Baldmans knowing they can get more and are being greedy or does it cost them to get the adventures from WoTC.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I am not looking to turn this into a pissing match between the better edition. At Origins I noticed AL adventures are 8 bucks while PFS were half that. I am curious why such a disparity. I wonder if it is a case of Baldmans knowing they can get more and are being greedy or does it cost them to get the adventures from WoTC.
Wild guesses (I am not affiliated with anybody involved in any way):

- Anybody can/must buy AL modules from DMs Guild; Pathfinder Society may give con organizers modules for free. Less cost -> lower prices.
- Perhaps it indicates that WotC has little idea how to monetize their game, while Paizo has half an idea.
- Or vice-versa.
- The two groups do not talk to each other (too busy organizing!) and so do not collude to raise prices for both events.
- Prices set by roll of dice; Baldman happened to use a die with more sides on it and by chance rolled well.

All this to be taken with a grain of salt ... or maybe a whole shaker-full.

exile

First Post
Additional speculation...

PFS games at Origins were administered by an all volunteer staff; while AL games were administered by Baldman Games, an organization with at least a couple of employees to pay.

darjr

I crit!
I don't know about PFS but Baldman Games also gave out room shares and convention passes to DMs, that is also not cheap. I think PFS does this too but I'm not sure it's at the same percentage or scale at Origins. Though store GenCin last year I'll bet it was the reverse, number of DMs and seats that is.

Until the last season or two of AL, stores and event organizers were given free access to the adventures. And stores and events had the option to not charge at all to play. When the adventures went onto DMs Guild instead and everyone who no longer had access to the free versions, and who wanted to run the adventures, needed to start charging something to cover their costs. Baldman Games is still fairly new to the organizing and running of the games at conventions, so they are still probably feeling their way to an acceptable price to play, though I am sure the cost will vary based on the size of the convention, as the higher the number of players, the higher a price they can charge and still fill the tables.

Paizo, on the other hand, has always charged for the PFS adventures and they have had several years to figure out a reasonable cost to number of players ratio and can charge a more reasonable price, even at huge conventions. Plus they have made their money back many times over on the early PFS adventures, which many people still play, and can charge a lower price for the newer stuff because of that.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Baldman Games is still fairly new to the organizing and running of the games at conventions

I think the Baldman folks would disagree with this assessment -- they've been running the D&D Organized Play events at both Winter Fantasy and GenCon since 2005 (well before Pathfinder was released).

as the higher the number of players, the higher a price they can charge and still fill the tables.

I'm guessing this is more the case -- they set their price and see if they fail to sell out. Since they do sell out, their price seems reasonable, even if it is twice the price of PFS events (as will be the case at GenCon as well).

--
Pauper

Remove ads