D&D 5E Assassin suggestions

corwyn77

Adventurer
So I'm playing through Hoard of the Dragon queen during encounters and we're approaching 9th level. The problem is the 9th level archtype ability is a little lacking, especially as we've had close to 0 downtime and that seems unlikely to change.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement ability. My DM is okay with pitching a substitution.

I'm looking for something that still fits the theme - he's not evil, per se, just efficiently ruthless in killing those who deserve it; in this case remorseless cultists. So, poison or just plain killing efficiency would fit, as would stealth, deception, perception bent. The only other rogue in the party is an AT so no risk of stepping on toes of a Thief.

Quickleaf

Legend
So I'm playing through Hoard of the Dragon queen during encounters and we're approaching 9th level. The problem is the 9th level archtype ability is a little lacking, especially as we've had close to 0 downtime and that seems unlikely to change.

So I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement ability. My DM is okay with pitching a substitution.

I'm looking for something that still fits the theme - he's not evil, per se, just efficiently ruthless in killing those who deserve it; in this case remorseless cultists. So, poison or just plain killing efficiency would fit, as would stealth, deception, perception bent. The only other rogue in the party is an AT so no risk of stepping on toes of a Thief.

How about a take on the ranger's 10th-level Hide in Plain Sight, but adapted for urban environments? Something like...

Face in the Crowd
Starting at 9th level, you can spend 1 minute blending in to an urban milieu. You must have access to appropriate clothing and other accoutrements that fit in with the particular urban environment which you use to guise yourself. Once you have blended in this way, you can try to hide by staying close to a group of creatures, that includes at least nine creatures. You gain a +10 bonus to Dexterity (Stealth) checks as long as you remain among the crowd without taking actions and moving no more than half your speed. Once you move more than half your speed or take an action or a reaction, you must spend another minute to guise yourself to gain this benefit again.

Remove ads