Best dimension-hopping games/settings?

S'mon

Legend
Best dimension-hopping games/settings?
Either modern earth or fantasy, like parts of Moorcock's Eternal Champion series (Erekose, Oswald Bastable), but excluding Planescape & Spelljammer type stuff. What are some of the best RPGs & settings with dimension-hopping as a central premise?

Nagol

Unimportant
It is a relatively rare conceit -- most games presume a base setting to match their mechanics. Few games have that base setting be a multiverse.

The Strange, as mentioned.
Amber
Kult can have the PCs pulling the curtains of reality back thus gaining access to new "dimensions".
Rifts (sort of, in reverse).

GURPS has a line of supplements; I think Hero had one as well, but don't see it on my shelf with a cursory look.

A wider set of games include more than one dimension (typically 2-3) to explore without a lot of hopping going on. The cyberpunk-style games have the virtual universe, for example. CoC has the Dreamlands. From creaking memory, Wraith the Oblivion has the real world and Underworld and there are other examples of situations with a "here" and a "there".

S'mon

Legend
Thanks, I've ordered the GURPS time travel book & AE preview, will check out Infinite Earths.

I've located and ordered GURPS: Infinite Worlds thanks & cancelled my GURPS Time Travel order as IW appears to cover all the d-hopping stuff from TT.

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
There's Call of Cthulhu and the Dreamlands. I've never used the Dreamlands sourcebook as such, but the CoC scenarios I've run with time/space travel were always a big hit.

Remove ads