D&D 5E Is it fair to cast save-or-suck spells on the players?

Hey all,

In my game yesterday, the players went up against seven enemies, including three arcane spellcasters with access to level 8 spells. (If you're keen, you can see more details here.) During the fight, I naturally tried to use cool Wizard spells to win the fight, while the players for their side relied on anti-magic fields to protect themselves. One thing that came up quickly, and which was repeatedly complained about, was the consequence of these spells for a player.

One character was mazed, and since it is an Intelligence Check, not a Saving Throw, his Monk is basically unable to escape any time soon (Concentration checks with +11 keeps the spell up). Another, the Rogue, was hit by multiple Finger of Death spells until he was weakened, and then Power Word Stun was used to put him out of commission for five rounds of combat. A third, the Champion Fighter, was hit by Prismatic Spray, which rolled an 8, meaning two rays, which generated a 1 (some Fire damage) and 7 (save vs Blind, save again next turn or be Banished permanently and instantly to your home plane). He failed both saves, and thus returned to the Material Plane, to presumably retire in safety while the rest of the party fights in a dungeon in the Astral Plane. We ended the session with the combat still running, since a fight with 13 complex combatants at level 19 takes forever.

So, that's the situation. One player in particular was quite upset by these spells, and declared them to be 'design failures' for meaning that player characters would be put out of the game, leaving the players nothing to do. This was specifically worse than hit point loss, he stated; I believe the argument was that hit point loss could be responded to by, e.g. healing or resurrection magic, whereas the Prismatic Spray in particular had no chance of being undone in combat. I had numerous counter-arguments, which I won't get into here; what I'm interested in is hearing the thoughts of others. Do you agree with the players?

Mephista

Adventurer
There are two sides to this. First? If players have access to something, there is no reason it can't be used against them. And vice versa - no reason that NPCs should get shinies that PCs couldn't as well, even if its through a polymorph spell.

That said, the job of the GM is to provide a fun and challenging environment to overcome obsticles. If the players were feeling like they had no chance of winning? That does take fun out of it. In this particular case, its just bad luck, and not anything under player control. Which does feel bad when its all a failure and out of player control.

So, that's your answer. If players aren't having fun, its not fair. If they had fun, or could regroup after somehow, and get revenge, it could be. It always comes down to what's most fun for the group.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
If your players were hitting their enemies with Maze, Power Words, and Prismatic Sprays, would they be complaining that the spell worked as intended?

Sounds fairly well like whiny entitlement to me.

No, there is absolutely NOTHING "unfair" about using those spells on your players. High levels = Higher stakes = Highest Risks.

As they always say, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the Astral Planar Dungeon at 19th level."

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Hey all,

In my game yesterday, the players went up against seven enemies, including three arcane spellcasters with access to level 8 spells. (If you're keen, you can see more details here.) During the fight, I naturally tried to use cool Wizard spells to win the fight, while the players for their side relied on anti-magic fields to protect themselves. One thing that came up quickly, and which was repeatedly complained about, was the consequence of these spells for a player.

One character was mazed, and since it is an Intelligence Check, not a Saving Throw, his Monk is basically unable to escape any time soon (Concentration checks with +11 keeps the spell up). Another, the Rogue, was hit by multiple Finger of Death spells until he was weakened, and then Power Word Stun was used to put him out of commission for five rounds of combat. A third, the Champion Fighter, was hit by Prismatic Spray, which rolled an 8, meaning two rays, which generated a 1 (some Fire damage) and 7 (save vs Blind, save again next turn or be Banished permanently and instantly to your home plane). He failed both saves, and thus returned to the Material Plane, to presumably retire in safety while the rest of the party fights in a dungeon in the Astral Plane. We ended the session with the combat still running, since a fight with 13 complex combatants at level 19 takes forever.

So, that's the situation. One player in particular was quite upset by these spells, and declared them to be 'design failures' for meaning that player characters would be put out of the game, leaving the players nothing to do. This was specifically worse than hit point loss, he stated; I believe the argument was that hit point loss could be responded to by, e.g. healing or resurrection magic, whereas the Prismatic Spray in particular had no chance of being undone in combat. I had numerous counter-arguments, which I won't get into here; what I'm interested in is hearing the thoughts of others. Do you agree with the players?

3 wizards with level 8 spells is probably a bit much especially with other enemies present as well. It's not the save or suck spells. It's the amount of save or suck spells you were throwing at them. Maze + Prismatic Spray + Multiple Finger of Death's is pretty ridiculous.

Also, PC's generally have to pace themselves against NPC's since they can have another fight in the day. NPC's have no such issue. So having 3 level 15 Wizards spam all their highest level spells at the start of a fight is crazy strong and that wasn't even all you were having them deal with.

Yea, I'd been aggravated too. You had enough firepower to totally remove 2 characters from combat (1/3 to 1/2 of the party) and then you still had enough firepower to focus fire finger of death on one of the remaining characters.

Generally speaking the concentration spell was probably fine as it could be broken and the player released. The prismatic spray probably shouldn't have been used by you as it had a chance of causing the character to leave the combat for good with no chance of coming back.

Shiroiken

Legend
Not only is it fair, but it's encouraged :devil:

I actually prefer to use them, myself. Damage spells are good for wearing down the party, but final battles are awesome for save or suck spells.

Shiroiken

Legend
Not only is it fair, but it's encouraged :devil:

I actually prefer to use them, myself. Damage spells are good for wearing down the party, but final battles are awesome for save or suck spells.

Croesus

Adventurer
3 wizards with level 8 spells is probably a bit much especially with other enemies present as well. It's not the save or suck spells. It's the amount of save or suck spells you were throwing at them. Maze + Prismatic Spray + Multiple Finger of Death's is pretty ridiculous.

This.

As I don't know how powerful the PCs are, I can't say if this was unfair, but when using spellcasters, you need to watch out for numbers. In one of my PotA combats, the enemy had seven casters who could each cast fireball. Sure, one or two fireballs don't really do a lot of damage, especially to 10th level characters, but seven? Even with party-wide fire resistance, that hurt a lot. Now imagine if those had been clerics throwing hold person spells every round...

I generally find that two or three major spellcasters is plenty. If there's just one, the party will focus fire and drop him pretty quickly. More than three, you run the risk that the party misses too many saves in a single round. Even with just three, you had a lot of spells flying - maybe should have dropped one wizard from the opponents' ranks, or lowered their levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases