Changing Racial bonuses

Tony Vargas

Legend
4E is my favorite edition of D&D. However, one of the things that I do not like is that racial bonuses are a huge factor into selecting a race for the class that you have chosen (or vice versa). For example, if you want to play a Gnome fighter you will be hampered because the Gnome racial bonuses don't really benefit a fighter.
Races already, post-Essentials, got an alternate stat, so one +2 and choose another from 2, so every race covers half the stats. This would just be expanding that to any stat, so shouldn't be crazy. You do want to watch out for feat support that some races got to make them extra-good at classes they didn't formerly have the stats for - that already happened to the Dwarf when STR was added as an alternative after they'd already gotten lavish fighter feat support, for instance.

For Humans I'm not yet decided on what to change to compensate having one of their strengths nullified.
I'd say just go ahead and give them the second +2. Maybe +2 from STR/DEX/CON and +2 from INT/WIS/CHA, or +2 WIS (since none of the PH races have that yet in your version) and +2 any (it'd also make fighters particularly good Paladins & Clerics, which'd be evocative of D&D tradition, as, back in the day, only humans could be PC clerics & pallies).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases