Gary Gygax/TSR FBI Files - Looking For the Unabomber at TSR??!!

Aaron L

Hero
I looked through the forums but didn't see anything about this posted anywhere, and I thought it was absolutely interesting enough to warrant discussion on the forums. Apparently the FBI had Gary, and TSR in general, under surveillance for possible connections to the Unabomber case.

Here's a link to the Polygon article, which links to the Reason article and the actual redacted FBI files:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/23/15864590/fbi-dungeons-and-dragons-unabomber-gary-gygax-foia

Reading through the FBI files, what I find interesting is that it seems the FBI apparently had a source within TSR, a woman, who was feeding them information about Gary, TSR, and the RPG/Wargaming community in general... woman who seems to have painted for the FBI a less than flattering portrait of RPG/Wargamers in general, and made some fairly severe accusations about the habits and actions of Gary in particular. Now, this of course got the gears in my head spinning trying to figure out who the source could have been, and the circumstantial evidence lead my thoughts to drift immediately to Lorraine Williams... but I have absolutely nothing beyond my own speculation as "proof."

Anyone else read about this yet? I couldn't have been the first ENWorlder to have come across these articles. Anyone else know anything about any of this? Thoughts? Opinions? Speculations? Wild Mass Guessing? Epileptic Trees? Or even Hard Facts and/or Firsthand Knowledge? Anyone?

(My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on the forums; I did my best to look for it but couldn't find anything about it.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I looked through the forums but didn't see anything about this posted anywhere, and I thought it was absolutely interesting enough to warrant discussion on the forums. Apparently the FBI had Gary, and TSR in general, under surveillance for possible connections to the Unabomber case.

Here's a link to the Polygon article, which links to the Reason article and the actual redacted FBI files:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/23/15864590/fbi-dungeons-and-dragons-unabomber-gary-gygax-foia

Reading through the FBI files, what I find interesting is that it seems the FBI apparently had a source within TSR, a woman, who was feeding them information about Gary, TSR, and the RPG/Wargaming community in general... woman who seems to have painted for the FBI a less than flattering portrait of RPG/Wargamers in general, and made some fairly severe accusations about the habits and actions of Gary in particular. Now, this of course got the gears in my head spinning trying to figure out who the source could have been, and the circumstantial evidence lead my thoughts to drift immediately to Lorraine Williams... but I have absolutely nothing beyond my own speculation as "proof."

Anyone else read about this yet? I couldn't have been the first ENWorlder to have come across these articles. Anyone else know anything about any of this? Thoughts? Opinions? Speculations? Wild Mass Guessing? Epileptic Trees? Or even Hard Facts and/or Firsthand Knowledge? Anyone?

(My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere on the forums; I did my best to look for it but couldn't find anything about it.)

There's two or three threads already, and it was also covered in a front page article a week or two ago.

Aaron L

Hero
Gah!

Sorry, Morrus! I did a search for "Gygax FBI" using the bar at the top of the page but it didn't turn anything up... I must not have done it right, or I just should have been more thorough. You can go ahead and delete this thread, if you'd like. No need for yet another thread cluttering up the forums with a topic that's already being covered elsewhere.

That's what I get for not having enough time to check ENWorld as much as I used to. :( Oh, to be young and free again...

(Er, well actually, I mostly take that back... I am most definitely not going to complain about having a girlfriend who likes to take up my time now . ;) )

Truly sorry, Morrus.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Anyone else know anything about any of this?
The "authors' intro" pages of Grimtooth's Traps Fore, Grimtooth's Traps Ate, and the ultimate Grimtooth's Traps book (forget the proper title) all suggest that TSR and the FBI had some sort of unpleasant interaction. But they are writing in something approaching Grimtooth's voice, so it is not clear what the problem was. (In GT4, they 'explain' why there is no GT3.)

It's not paranoia when you really do have enemies, is it?

Remove ads