D&D 4E Core 4E vs. Essentials

Simple options are good.
However, looking back to that controversy, I inevitably reach the same conclusion as you: it was meant to fail. Basically, 4e was scuttled and then people used the "failure" of the edition as an argument against pretty much every single idea from 4e.
Honestly, the process 5e was created is loathsome to me. The rules themselves are average, but they would not convince me to drop the my favorite game's new edition by themselves. But after the entire process, I simply cannot stand 5e. I won't play or DM, no matter how much "successful" the edition is. To me, it has failed.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to say that somewhere.

The idea that Hasbro would create a product 'designed to fail' is of course beyond ridiculous. It might not be too much to say that the person(s) you are referring to, or that [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is referring to, couldn't succeed, but maybe nobody could have pulled off what they tried. I think it was an ill-advised attempt to make up for earlier mistakes which couldn't be fixed.

Otherwise I agree, the whole charade of 5e development repulsed me. I won't have anything to do with it, although I did play in one game. My opinion of the rules is similar to yours. Its a VERY much cleaned up 2e that avoids most of the really large pitfalls of 3e. I found the play experience to be snorefull really, just very much like playing 2e all over again, a game I outgrew 20 years ago...

And Essentials could well be knocked for moving in the same direction, though it still has enough of 4e in it that you can play it like 4e core and get pretty much the 4e experience (you have to ignore a few abominations in the RC and of course bring rituals back from core, but that's not a big deal).

The main issue I have with Essentials is the variation on resource recovery that is imposed along with the break from core-style A/E/D/U. Still, what you really need there is to simply make HS fungible. The Slayer spends his getting hacked up in the front lines, the wizard spends his putting out daily level harm to the bad guys. It works, and HoML definitely shows that, if nothing else.

Igwilly

First Post
The idea that Hasbro would create a product 'designed to fail' is of course beyond ridiculous. It might not be too much to say that the person(s) you are referring to, or that [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is referring to, couldn't succeed, but maybe nobody could have pulled off what they tried. I think it was an ill-advised attempt to make up for earlier mistakes which couldn't be fixed.

Otherwise I agree, the whole charade of 5e development repulsed me. I won't have anything to do with it, although I did play in one game. My opinion of the rules is similar to yours. Its a VERY much cleaned up 2e that avoids most of the really large pitfalls of 3e. I found the play experience to be snorefull really, just very much like playing 2e all over again, a game I outgrew 20 years ago...

And Essentials could well be knocked for moving in the same direction, though it still has enough of 4e in it that you can play it like 4e core and get pretty much the 4e experience (you have to ignore a few abominations in the RC and of course bring rituals back from core, but that's not a big deal).

The main issue I have with Essentials is the variation on resource recovery that is imposed along with the break from core-style A/E/D/U. Still, what you really need there is to simply make HS fungible. The Slayer spends his getting hacked up in the front lines, the wizard spends his putting out daily level harm to the bad guys. It works, and HoML definitely shows that, if nothing else.
I disagree with you.

First, I think the plan was to sink 4e so that its fans would go to the next edition, and then WotC and the big guy come out as heroes.
It may seems weird, but thinking a little back, it's clear that the changes they made weren't to please 4e fans.
Also, Mearls actually made a mistake and told the following information: he was already planning 5e by late 2010. Which is when Essentials was released. The rest just follows it.

Second: I know both 5e and 2e, and I just have to disagree with people who say they are similar. 2e has been a huge fun to me - just by reading - more than 5e could ever be. Honestly, 5e rejected most of what I actually like from past editions - instead of fixing it - so all the spice is irrelevant. Plus, they didn't include what I liked about 4e, and the few things that it kept were so altered and out-of-context that it just doesn't matter.
I just don't think this is important to the initial discussion.

One thing I learned is that, it's not safe to try to change too much in the same edition. Some changes should wait a .5 revision, really.
Essentials' design itself isn't that bad by itself. However, in my honest opinion, the paradigm change was so big it should be an official 4.5 edition. Things would be a lot clearer.
Much stuff was good. To flexibilize roles and power sources is one of them. Having simple options is another. And I especially loved the Hexblade, the Witch, healer Druid, Elementalist and Sha'ir.

Obryn

Hero
First, I think the plan was to sink 4e so that its fans would go to the next edition, and then WotC and the big guy come out as heroes.
It may seems weird, but thinking a little back, it's clear that the changes they made weren't to please 4e fans.
Also, Mearls actually made a mistake and told the following information: he was already planning 5e by late 2010. Which is when Essentials was released. The rest just follows it.
In order - No, Yes, Whatever

No: I do not believe WotC would sink money and time into a product designed to fail. That's first of all too Machiavellian, and second of all too absurd. WotC doesn't have money to flush down the toilet.

Yes: The core audience for Essentials was the lapsed players who preferred oldschool or 3e/PF. It was also targeted at players who were (justifiably) sick of the level of errata. It was an obvious attempt to sell the game by including elements that non-4e players would find more palatable than core 4e. It didn't work out - the battle lines were waaay too entrenched - but expanding to a new audience is how you try to grow your game, not kill it.

Whatever: WotC plans new editions years in advance. Had Essentials taken off, 5e would have looked a lot more like Essentials 4e than the "3.5e structure with 2e style" that we got. This is not evidence that anyone was trying to kill the edition; it's a known element of how WotC does its D&D business.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So here is a general question. Do you think that 4E needed feats to begin with?
'Needs?' Maybe not, if there were more customizable class features, or more to backgrounds/themes, perhaps. But, as-otherwise-is, yeah, it kinda does.

Obviously they used the feat system to compensate for math issues, but if they would have play-tested enough to fix these things from the start, do you think the game benefited by having feats in there?
I think the math issues were overblown, that Epic could have been left to play differently from Heroic, with big stat-mod-based buffs/debuffs and huge critical hits mattering more, and the sense that PCs were almost always at least a little over their heads with the kinds of uber-foes they were fighting.
Feats shouldn't've been abused as taxes to provide patches to disign goofs (real or perceived), when honest errata/updates were so readily available, and they should have been more carefully screened/playtested for balance. Expertise should never have existed. Melee Training, for entirely different reasons, also should probably never have been a general feat - it robbed STR-based characters of a minor but meaningful advantage, non-STR MBA should have been kept to class powers/features with some limitations (for instance, a rogue at-will that required light blades & counted as an MBA might've been fine, especially if it was a little less damage and a cool rider, say). There were make-Dwarves-better-fighters feats meant to make up for the Dwarf not having a +2 STR (was that really so vital?) - then they gave the Dwarf +2 STR. There were HotFK/L heroic-tier feats that obviated Paragon and Epic Tier PH feats. (... damn, again, [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is sounding less harsh, and more just accurate.)

The idea that Hasbro would create a product 'designed to fail' is of course beyond ridiculous. It might not be too much to say that the person(s) you are referring to, or that [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is referring to, couldn't succeed, but maybe nobody could have pulled off what they tried.
It certainly seems absurd. But I suppose it's always fair to eschew attributing something to malice, when ineptitude is as or more plausible an explanation.

Otherwise I agree, the whole charade of 5e development repulsed me. I won't have anything to do with it,
There were times it seemed improbably cynical and slanted, but that's much the same kind of perception as Essentials being meant to fail. It looks like it, from a point of view, but it really doesn't make much sense from a practical standpoint.
I did play in one game. My opinion of the rules is similar to yours. Its a VERY much cleaned up 2e that avoids most of the really large pitfalls of 3e. I found the play experience to be snorefull really, just very much like playing 2e all over again, a game I outgrew 20 years ago...
Playing it is hard to get behind, I agree. Running it can really be something, though.

The main issue I have with Essentials is the variation on resource recovery that is imposed along with the break from core-style A/E/D/U.
Agreed on each count.

Still, what you really need there is to simply make HS fungible. The Slayer spends his getting hacked up in the front lines, the wizard spends his putting out daily level harm to the bad guys. It works, and HoML definitely shows that, if nothing else.
A plausible solution. Something like that occurred to me when my first character got Bloodcut armor (which re-charges it's daily if you feed it a HS), and again when I finally got around to reading Cure Light Wounds. Surges were very much a daily resource, and daily resources could be neatly balanced against eachother - and even, with HS the obvious candidate, standardized.

Oh, clearly. They were in response to criticisms - many of them completely invalid, made in compete ignorance and/or with active malice. Mearls had this story of going to a con, and some guy horsing around, saying "I just wanna hit da orc with my ax" and feigning incomprehension at the prospect of using a clearly-spelled-out attack, right on the character sheet, to do so.

I bet that guy never played a fighter before or since, and is now having fun with his 5e wizard or whatever.

I know both 5e and 2e, and I just have to disagree with people who say they are similar. 2e has been a huge fun to me - just by reading - more than 5e could ever be.
I've heard a lot of 2e fans waxing rhapsodic about 5e. For me, I opened the 2e PH, read it mostly through, once, and concluded it wasn't that different. I was running, rather than playing by then, and I updated my variants to 2e, and didn't pay much attention to how it evolved - and really, sooo much of it was setting stuff that I had no interest in anyway.
So I don't have the 'feel' for of love of 2e that it's ardent fans do, AD&D for me will always be 1e.
And, I find 5e very reminiscent of AD&D, in 'feel,' even though a lot of the technical stuff is clearly d20, it's attitude, and they way it just doesn't work without a DM in the drivers seat, feels like AD&D, to me.

Essentials' design itself isn't that bad by itself.
By the standards of D&D outside of 4e, sure. Following only two years after, not so much.
However, in my honest opinion, the paradigm change was so big it should be an official 4.5 edition. Things would be a lot clearer.
It'd've made more sense if Essentials were released, first, say, covering only the Heroic Tier, then 4.0 a few years later.

Heck, if some future game-archaeologist tried to organize RPGs into clades with nothing to date them from but their mechanics, he might well conclude AD&D->5e->3e->PF->13A->Essentials->4e... ;)

Last edited:

Igwilly

First Post
Look, I'm not going any further. It is clear why I thought the whole Essentials - 5e weird. That's not the initial discussion here.

Last edited:

Igwilly

First Post
However, I will discuss about design, because that's why I'm here.

Bug: it was supposed to edit the previous post, not create another.

In the beginning, it provided a useful conceptual design space for any ability that transcended a single race or class. At a minimum, they needed a place to make ritual casting and various weapon and armor proficiencies available to classes that didn't start with them.

It didn't need to be a feats system. They could have done something like a "universal" class, and had multi-classing rules that let everyone access powers from there, but feats were already a known quantity so it was probably easier to adapt that way.

Right. Its hard to see another way to have brought all the various bits together into a cohesive system. You'd have also required things like weapon proficiency slots, and something like 'NWPs' and etc. which is all a big mess. Get rid of feats and instead you have 12 little niche subsystems and no way for a player to grab stuff out of one little niche and use it with other stuff.

In my own 4e hacking what I came up with was going the opposite way. Don't do away with feats, just unify them with items, themes, backgrounds, etc into one seamless whole. Yes, there are always some options that are better than others, but if your classes are well-designed then which those are will vary from one to another, so there will always be a lot of variety. 4e really didn't do badly on this, but it can be done better. One aspect being making these things a little bigger, sort of like 5e does.

Anyway, I thought Essentials actually wasn't bad in its approach to feats either, have far fewer of them and make them more significant.

Jhaelen

First Post
So here is a general question. Do you think that 4E needed feats to begin with? Obviously they used the feat system to compensate for math issues, but if they would have play-tested enough to fix these things from the start, do you think the game benefited by having feats in there?
Well, I agree about the math-fix feats being unnecessary, but they're only a small subset of the available feats.

I agree that feat bloat was quite real in 4e, but that's probably because they were too granular: a +1 here, a +2 there. That's also not very interesting.
The feats I like are feats that serve to flesh out your player character. Imho, 4e needed feats as a means to further customize a character. Otherwise two characters of the same race and class could be too much alike. Then again, backgrounds, which were introduced later, served a similar purpose and worked much better.

Imruphel

First Post
Wow, that is harsh. Sugar-coat the truth a little, next time.

Maybe it's just me - see next comment - but I thought that was sugar-coated. I stuck to facts - he didn't like 4E, he didn't run 4E, and he was the only 4E designer whose 4E design got worse (eg, Heroes of Shadow) - without insulting him or anyone else personally. And my comment should also be read in the context of the fact that he's now believed to be one of those who saved the D&D TTRPG by being a key player in the creation of 5E. Nobody remembers the days of d20 spam or bad 4E design: He's the king of 5E.

[MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] definitely doesn't believe in adding honey to his arsenic ;)

My maternal grandmother always said of that side of my family: We were all weaned on razor blades.

Yeah. Expertise was a feat tax that was just too powerful and too bland. Solution? Make it inconsistently more powerful depending on the weapon group, so it'll be less bland.

...OK, maybe [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] has a point. (snip)

It's sometimes hard to sugar coat facts. ;)

The idea that Hasbro would create a product 'designed to fail' is of course beyond ridiculous. It might not be too much to say that the person(s) you are referring to, or that [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is referring to, couldn't succeed, but maybe nobody could have pulled off what they tried. I think it was an ill-advised attempt to make up for earlier mistakes which couldn't be fixed. (snip)

Firstly, we're not talking about Hasbro: We're talking about a subsidiary that pretty much runs itself. But it is accountable to Hasbro.

Secondly, this sort of behaviour is not that unusual in the corporate world. They would have needed Hasbro to sign off on a new edition so they do something that appears to be a good faith attempt to revitalise the existing edition (even though it made next to no sense to the fan base, it's an attempt that would have translated well into corporate-speak) while actually putting it to death. But, in the process of putting it to death, they would have "discovered" all this feedback in the post-mortem process about wanting to go back to something closer to D&D of old: Et voila, you have what you need to get 5E approved.

Which, of course, was already in progress.

I disagree with you.

Also, Mearls actually made a mistake and told the following information: he was already planning 5e by late 2010. Which is when Essentials was released. The rest just follows it. (snip)

Exactly.

Essentials was more about playing the corporate game with Hasbro than it was a good faith attempt to resuscitate 4E. If WotC had really wanted 4E revived, they would have kept Rich Baker and put him in charge of the revision.

In order - No, Yes, Whatever

No: I do not believe WotC would sink money and time into a product designed to fail. That's first of all too Machiavellian, and second of all too absurd. WotC doesn't have money to flush down the toilet.

Yes: The core audience for Essentials was the lapsed players who preferred oldschool or 3e/PF. It was also targeted at players who were (justifiably) sick of the level of errata. It was an obvious attempt to sell the game by including elements that non-4e players would find more palatable than core 4e. It didn't work out - the battle lines were waaay too entrenched - but expanding to a new audience is how you try to grow your game, not kill it.

Whatever: WotC plans new editions years in advance. Had Essentials taken off, 5e would have looked a lot more like Essentials 4e than the "3.5e structure with 2e style" that we got. This is not evidence that anyone was trying to kill the edition; it's a known element of how WotC does its D&D business.

1. Too Machiavellian? Never worked in corporate, eh?

2. If Essentials had involved a book called a "Player's Handbook" and published in hardcover in the normal D&D book size then I would have agreed that Essentials was an attempt to reach out to lapsed players. As it involved none of those things, I cannot agree with you.

This is a hobby that appeals to people who are - and I will sugar coat this - set in our ways. We don't like too much change. We like our books to be a certain size. We like them to be hardcover. We like them to be called PHB, DMG, and MM etc.... 5E succeeded because it went back in time and delivered on this question, "What would a properly-designed update of 1E and 2E look like?"

3. WotC doesn't do anything: People do things. And Mike Mearls had already shut down his own 4E games and was going back to the well of earlier editions when he was in charge of Essentials. That's not a criticism of him; ultimately, the success of 5E proved that he was right from a business point-of-view. But a guy who's not running an edition is not the guy you want in charge of a revision of that edition... unless you don't have high expectations for that revision and you (not MM but someone in management) are using Essentials as a cat's paw for what you really want to do with the brand.

(snip) (... damn, again, [MENTION=15684]Imruphel[/MENTION] is sounding less harsh, and more just accurate.) (snip)

That sounds like the sort of feedback I would get back in my consulting days. ;)

(snip) And, I find 5e very reminiscent of AD&D, in 'feel,' even though a lot of the technical stuff is clearly d20, it's attitude, and they way it just doesn't work without a DM in the drivers seat, feels like AD&D, to me. (snip) Heck, if some future game-archaeologist tried to organize RPGs into clades with nothing to date them from but their mechanics, he might well conclude AD&D->5e->3e->PF->13A->Essentials->4e... ;)

Agreed.

For me, 5E is AD&D3E. Sure, it's informed by 3.xE and 4E in some respects but it otherwise feels like an attempt to take the raw material of AD&D, deliver a coup de grace to Gygaxian non-sequiturs, and produce an edition of AD&D that works as written rather than as interpreted - while also leaving room for a fair amount of DM interpretation.

Obryn

Hero
1. Too Machiavellian? Never worked in corporate, eh?

2. If Essentials had involved a book called a "Player's Handbook" and published in hardcover in the normal D&D book size then I would have agreed that Essentials was an attempt to reach out to lapsed players. As it involved none of those things, I cannot agree with you.

This is a hobby that appeals to people who are - and I will sugar coat this - set in our ways. We don't like too much change. We like our books to be a certain size. We like them to be hardcover. We like them to be called PHB, DMG, and MM etc.... 5E succeeded because it went back in time and delivered on this question, "What would a properly-designed update of 1E and 2E look like?"

3. WotC doesn't do anything: People do things. And Mike Mearls had already shut down his own 4E games and was going back to the well of earlier editions when he was in charge of Essentials. That's not a criticism of him; ultimately, the success of 5E proved that he was right from a business point-of-view. But a guy who's not running an edition is not the guy you want in charge of a revision of that edition... unless you don't have high expectations for that revision and you (not MM but someone in management) are using Essentials as a cat's paw for what you really want to do with the brand.
On all of this - no. I am in the 'corporate world' now, and the idea that anyone - Mearls included - is somehow so diabolical that he could both design it to fail, not blink at throwing away potentially millions of dollars on a project he manages out of spite, and then cackle over a pile of money - is kind of fanciful.

I think you're giving him too much credit, when other explanations are at least as reasonable without involving conspiracies.

Remove ads