D&D 5E 7th Level Spells allow lots of minions!

Gwarok

Explorer
Hey, if you can't find gainful employment to the tune of well over 360kgp/year for 30 invisible flying assassins I think it's time to turn in your evil bag guy card and take up knitting! :)

jasper

Rotten DM
Interesting. I hadn't notice the casting time problems. Good catch!

Another is cost. Each planar binding spell costs 1,000 gp to cast. So each bound creature will cost 1,000 gp per month, 12,000 gp per year. Having 30 of these creatures would cost 360,000 gp per year. Good luck with that. :)
rats ninja
Ok cost wise. Magic Circle calls for 100 gp of silver dust which is consumed. Planar Binding costs 1,000 gp jewel which is consumed. So that’s $1,100 per day you are spending. Planar Ally Cost 50 gp min and can go up to 10,000 gp per day. Hmm might be cheaper to get married and have the spouse do the dishes and put out the cat.

neogod22

Explorer
rats ninja
Ok cost wise. Magic Circle calls for 100 gp of silver dust which is consumed. Planar Binding costs 1,000 gp jewel which is consumed. So that’s $1,100 per day you are spending. Planar Ally Cost 50 gp min and can go up to 10,000 gp per day. Hmm might be cheaper to get married and have the spouse do the dishes and put out the cat.
The game isn't designed to allow PCs characters to build armies of permanent or semi permanent minions, that's what NPCs can do.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Croesus

Adventurer
The game isn't designed to allow PCs characters to build armies of permanent or semi permanent minions, that's what NPCs can do.

Yeah, this has been a problem since the beginning. In AD&D, I had various characters create strongholds at "name" level. We used the rules in the DMG, and in every case, tax revenue was insufficient to pay upkeep on the structure and all the retainers, much less for an army to protect them. My PCs had to adventure just to bring in enough gold to avoid bankruptcy.

Last edited:

Another is cost. Each planar binding spell costs 1,000 gp to cast. So each bound creature will cost 1,000 gp per month, 12,000 gp per year. Having 30 of these creatures would cost 360,000 gp per year. Good luck with that. :)
Step 1: Be a Conjuror.
Step 2: Conjure a 1,000 gp jewel.
Step 3: Cast Planar Binding.
Step 4: DM hits you with a heavy object.

Horwath

Legend
Interesting. I hadn't notice the casting time problems. Good catch!

They are invisible assassins!!

I think that you can safely send them out to pick pocket 3×their upkeep in a first major city in a week

CapnZapp

Legend
That is certainly true, but I also have a PC in another campaign that will be doing likewise at some point. Part of the exercise is to play around with the game mechanics, and I've had a lot of fun doing somethings with NPCs with character levels. Made a 20th barbarian based on Orc Warlord stats that's a real humdinger of a melee death machine. Agrak the Untamed, Champion of Gruumsh weighs in at a hefty 325hp with a 24 STR and CON, resistant to all but psychic while raging don't hurt none either. Doesn't strictly follow the MM rules for adding character levels to a monster, but a fun exercise nonetheless.
I'm glad you don't strictly follow the MM rules! :)

Regards

Gwarok

Explorer

Why not? If my players want to do something, I let them try. I had a friend that never wanted to play high level campaigns, anything over 10th was too much for him. His reasoning was that characters with 8th and 9th levels spells and abilities like that would just take over the world. I told him, "Go ahead if that's what you want to do, I'll be happy to DM it". Clever people structure the world around them so their reach exceeds their grasp, even normal everyday folks in the real world. I see no reason my players can't do the same if they wish and it can fit in the rules.

Gwarok

Explorer
Yeah, this has been a problem since the beginning. In AD&D, I had various characters create strongholds at "name" level. We used the rules in the DMG, and in every case, tax revenue was insufficient to pay upkeep on the structure and all the retainers, much less for an army to protect them. My PCs had to adventure just to bring in enough gold to avoid bankruptcy.

Which is exactly why in the olden days most nations or cities decommissioned their armies except for a handful when the fighting was done. The idea of large standing armies being maintained is a modern concept, only modern economies have enough production to maintain that, it was ruinous to nations back in the day. The basic DND "Companions Set" from back in the day had a really simple way to run a small fiefdom that I like to use for my players. If anyone is thinking about including that in their campaign I recommend looking up an old copy.

Phazonfish

B-Rank Agent
Rd 1: Cast Summon Elemental. Rd 2: Begin Casting Planar Binding. ... Rd 601 Summon Elemental ends and the elemental returns to their home plane. Rd 602, the Planar Binding is complete, but the elemental is no longer there and the spell fails. There is no extension of the duration of the summons before the binding is completed.

I don't think that was the intent, but it is, technically, how it plays out, AFAICT. Only a character with two levels of fighter (for Action Surge) can technically make use of this combo.

I allow this combo to work in my games.

Sage advice from Crawford says 1 hour duration summon spells last long enough to get bound.
Also, an inverted Magic Circle (upcast to last longer than an hour) would arguably prevent the summoned creature from returning home while it remains within it.
Thirdly, if you don't want to take two levels of fighter and your DM insists that summon spells don't last long enough to work, you could also take 3 levels in sorcerer to apply Extended Spell to your summon.

Remove ads