D&D's Lead Slightly Increases On Roll20 & World of Darkness On The Rise

Industry stats are a bit like buses - you wait ages for one, and then two come along at once. I covered Fantasy Grounds' latest stats a few days ago, and now Roll20 has weighed in. The two data sets usually line up reasonably well at the top end (taking players as the metric, both give 62% to D&D 5E, although Fantasy Grounds has the next highest at Pathfinder with 11%, while Roll20 reports nearly 20%). In third place, Fantasy Grounds features Savage Worlds, but that system is #14 on Roll20. For Roll20, as well as Fantasy Grounds, D&D's lead increased slightly over the last quarter. Interestingly, World of Darkness is now above D&D 4E for the first time.

Industry stats are a bit like buses - you wait ages for one, and then two come along at once. I covered Fantasy Grounds' latest stats a few days ago, and now Roll20 has weighed in. The two data sets usually line up reasonably well at the top end (taking players as the metric, both give 62% to D&D 5E, although Fantasy Grounds has the next highest at Pathfinder with 11%, while Roll20 reports nearly 20%). In third place, Fantasy Grounds features Savage Worlds, but that system is #14 on Roll20. For Roll20, as well as Fantasy Grounds, D&D's lead increased slightly over the last quarter. Interestingly, World of Darkness is now above D&D 4E for the first time.

tumblr_inline_oga8dsY5Ko1t4momn_1280.png
tumblr_inline_okyr3gpXI81tmt2jn_1280.png
tumblr_inline_ooxof8qTTA1tmt2jn_1280.png
tumblr_inline_otd19kGp1f1tmt2jn_1280.png

Roll20's explanation of their figures: "We pull our data from two locations within Roll20 member profiles. Player numbers are drawn from the “Enjoys Playing” and “Seeks Group For” sections, while Game numbers come from the “My Campaigns” section. Our percentages can total more than 100%, particularly Player numbers, since each player will list their interest in multiple games. The report is meant to be a representative sample, and the game listings are curated by Roll20 staff. For more details about how our report works, you can always look back at our in-depth explanation."
SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

Kite474

Explorer
Well, it's nice to see that everyone else is at the very least not sinking. I really hope all this new blood that D&D brings in eventually tires new games and allows the hobby as a whole to grow. Though at the same time I really don't see that happening, unfortunately mainly due to that most of these new folks are more interested in "D&D" than "Tabletop RPG".

Granted this is me most likely being a grouch

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
What I find fascinating is Star Wars doesn't seem to be gaining any traction despite the massive cultural presence it has right now. It's basically totally off the radar. They really should have a celeb game featuring featuring stars like Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega etc to show it off.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I find fascinating is Star Wars doesn't seem to be gaining any traction despite the massive cultural presence it has right now. It's basically totally off the radar. They really should have a celeb game featuring featuring stars like Mark Hamill, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega etc to show it off.

It’s the third largest selling RPG on the planet after D&D and Pathfinder. It’s doing pretty well for itself!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
It’s the third largest selling RPG on the planet after D&D and Pathfinder. It’s doing pretty well for itself!

And yet not many people are playing it online... (which I know is not entirely representative but I see no reason why the proportions would be different from D&D?). In fact the number of Roll20 games dropped in Q2 17 while D&D added about 4,000!

So I guess people are buying lots of books (I know I have - they're so pretty :) ) - but actual play time?

Is an RPG successful if people just buy the books but don't play the game?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
D&D's Lead Slightly Increases On Roll20 & World of Darkness On The Rise

And yet not many people are playing it online... (which I know is not entirely representative but I see no reason why the proportions would be different from D&D?). In fact the number of Roll20 games dropped in Q2 17 while D&D added about 4,000!

So I guess people are buying lots of books (I know I have - they're so pretty :) ) - but actual play time?

Is an RPG successful if people just buy the books but don't play the game?

I imagine because the VTTs have licenses to produce official rule sets for D&D and PF, but not FFG’s Star Wars.

Online play is only a small part of it. Millions of people play RPGs at home or in game stores or clubs, y’know!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I imagine because the VTTs have licenses to produce official rule sets for D&D and PF, but not FFG’s Star Wars.

Online play is only a small part of it. Millions of people play RPGs at home or in game stores or clubs, y’know!

That's an excellent point! And a good reason why it might be unrepresentative.

Edit: But I still think there could be some more high-profile marketing for it. D&D has done really well with the celeb endorsements its been getting :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's an excellent point! And a good reason why it might be unrepresentative.

Edit: But I still think there could be some more high-profile marketing for it. D&D has done really well with the celeb endorsements its been getting :)

FFG even had issues with selling PDFs because Disney considers them “electronic products” and thus not part of their license.

Dealing with major IPs presents a lot of licensing hurdles about what you are allowed to do and what you aren’t. I’m sure FFG’s license also doesn’t let them use actors to portray Star Wars stuff on film.

Despite all that, they’re still the third largest RPG in the world.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
FFG even had issues with selling PDFs because Disney considers them “electronic products” and thus not part of their license.

Dealing with major IPs presents a lot of licensing hurdles about what you are allowed to do and what you aren’t. I’m sure FFG’s license also doesn’t let them use actors to portray Star Wars stuff on film.

Despite all that, they’re still the third largest RPG in the world.

Yeah - I'm sure it's a legal minefield. It's a great system and I'm glad it's apparently selling well (and they're still producing new content, they've just announced a new kind of sourcebook which is interesting)

Remove ads

Remove ads