Ready Player One - SDCC Teaser

Upon reading io9’s trailer breakdown, I’ll have to amend this slightly – I didn’t notice at the time, but the scene with the giant scorpion is from the Joust competition. Here's hoping Acererak still makes an appearance.

I’m hopeful for it, but I didn’t recall any of the action scenes in the trailer as having been in the book. The trailer looks pretty cool, and it is certainly too short to pass judgment, but that’s setting off some warning bells for me.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I’m hopeful for it, but I didn’t recall any of the action scenes in the trailer as having been in the book. The trailer looks pretty cool, and it is certainly too short to pass judgment, but that’s setting off some warning bells for me.

Is that really important, though? To be frank, the actual story is bad in RP1, it's the fan service that made it passably worthwhile. Adhering to the general concept and overarching plot (the search for the hidden prize) and pouring on the fan service seems like it would do just fine to honor the book. Actually following the story wouldn't. I mean, it was cool to read about the multiple tries at Joust with Acererak, but I definitely don't want to watch that. Same (and more so) with the Pac Man interlude.

MarkB

Legend
Is that really important, though? To be frank, the actual story is bad in RP1, it's the fan service that made it passably worthwhile. Adhering to the general concept and overarching plot (the search for the hidden prize) and pouring on the fan service seems like it would do just fine to honor the book. Actually following the story wouldn't. I mean, it was cool to read about the multiple tries at Joust with Acererak, but I definitely don't want to watch that. Same (and more so) with the Pac Man interlude.

And some aspects of the Oasis are very cumbersomely designed. Like, if you can get from world to world instantly via teleportation, why bother placing them all inside a single shared space and having to fly between them in spaceships? That's like the old-fashioned concept of cyberspace where you have to dive into a virtual city and fly through it to a location instead of just clicking a link to a website. Not that having spaceships isn't cool, but you'd be more likely to have parts of the Oasis specifically dedicated to that.

And if you need multiple copies of a particular location, there's no need to pre-place hundreds of them across a single world - you just make one, and then have the server spawn new copies for incoming visitors as needed.

I'd also fully expect them to ditch the WarGames and Holy Grail "karaoke movie" sections, not because of copyright issues but simply because I suspect they'd be terribly boring to actually watch, even in abridged form.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
And some aspects of the Oasis are very cumbersomely designed. Like, if you can get from world to world instantly via teleportation, why bother placing them all inside a single shared space and having to fly between them in spaceships? That's like the old-fashioned concept of cyberspace where you have to dive into a virtual city and fly through it to a location instead of just clicking a link to a website. Not that having spaceships isn't cool, but you'd be more likely to have parts of the Oasis specifically dedicated to that.

Because it has an inbuilt economy which is deliberately designed to make instantaneous travel a commodity, that being what its creator wanted.

" in-game vending, teleportation, fuel, and almost everything else costs real-world money,"

Even Wade has a mental wince when he uses a stargate to get to one of the locations quicker due to how much it cost, which says something since he bought and out fitted an asteroid as a base of operations.

The only instant teleportation (without the use of an artifact) that is done is on the same planet, which is how Wade got to the ToH, via a voucher from his school since he used a sporting event as a cover.

Looks like the movie will also dip into the 90s more overtly than the book,since it appears based on comments from twitter that the Iron Giant is a key element.

Remove ads