D&D 5E Infusing gems to use on weapons and armor for more than one use.

Omarius peladus

First Post
Back in college I created a campaing setting where you had a post apocalyptic world and there where vestiges of ancient advanced technology but society was still rebuilding after thousands of years. It's like Renaissance meets steampunk with some final fantasy 7 elements. One of them was infusing equipment with pre enchanted gems. Back then there was only AD&D 2nd edition and we didn't have rules for half the stuff in the game. I see now that 5th edition may have the mechanics for my old setting to work. Can an artificer infuse a gem to then infuse equipment later on and for more than one use?

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
Back in college I created a campaing setting where you had a post apocalyptic world and there where vestiges of ancient advanced technology but society was still rebuilding after thousands of years. It's like Renaissance meets steampunk with some final fantasy 7 elements. One of them was infusing equipment with pre enchanted gems. Back then there was only AD&D 2nd edition and we didn't have rules for half the stuff in the game. I see now that 5th edition may have the mechanics for my old setting to work. Can an artificer infuse a gem to then infuse equipment later on and for more than one use?
In the Giants campaign, you can find words of power, that are usually in gems that you can either keep the gem on your person, or bind them to nonmagical weapons or armor.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Staccat0

First Post
I am working on the exact same thing I think. I'm calling them augments and I'm using them as a way of letting players buy weak magic items in my campaign, but it's a pretty weird campaign.

Anyway, you can buy weapons, armor, spell focuses and amulets with up to 5 Augment Slots. They have 3 charges.

Each augment doubles the cost of the item. (Ex 1gp, 2gp, 4gp, 8gp)

The augments each correspond to an element as per the Ring of Resistance entry (DMG p 192)

An augment costs 3x the value of the stone (supplying your own stone reduced the cost by 1/3 but takes a day)

When attached to either armor, weapons or whatever they have different effects. I can get more detailed if you are interested
Or would find it helpful.

Last edited:

Omarius peladus

First Post
I am working on the exact same thing I think. I'm calling them augments and I'm using them as a way of letting players buy weak magic items in my campaign, but it's a pretty weird campaign.

Anyway, you can buy weapons, armor, spell focuses and amulets with up to 5 Augment Slots. They have 3 charges.

Each augment doubles the cost of the item. (Ex 1gp, 2gp, 4gp, 8gp)

The augments each correspond to an element as per the Ring of Resistance entry (DMG p 192)

An augment costs 3x the value of the stone (supplying your own stone reduced the cost by 1/3 but takes a day)

When attached to either armor, weapons or whatever. I can get more detailed if you are interested
Or would find it helpful.
Sounds pretty much like what I'm doing. Except your's is more accessible in terms of cost. Items with slots should be expensive though.

Sent from my R1 HD using EN World mobile app

Staccat0

First Post
Sounds pretty much like what I'm doing. Except your's is more accessible in terms of cost. Items with slots should be expensive though.

Yeah, the economy in my campaign is pretty weird. Players rolled their stats and they are all super weak, they have no starting equipment and leveling requires GP. So having extra money will be some high level stuff and buying crappy single-use magic items shouldn't over-power them.

Omarius peladus

First Post
Yeah, the economy in my campaign is pretty weird. Players rolled their stats and they are all super weak, they have no starting equipment and leveling requires GP. So having extra money will be some high level stuff and buying crappy single-use magic items shouldn't over-power them.
In mine you either craft it yourself or be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it. I have a social class system for starting money so it's a question of dice rolling luck. The thing is true magical items are legendary relics, very well guarded and usually the objective of a quest. The story is about finding the truth about what really happened to the world and these items found in ruins could hold the answer.

neogod22

Explorer
Have you read the creating magic items section in the DMG? It has tables for pricing and time,it takes to create magic items. Legendary and above can't be created though, and based on the time and cost, you would have to,be an elf to attempt one. I did the calculation and it would take 54.5 years.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Remove ads