Licensed Role-Playing Games: Threat Or Menace?

Let's just get the controversial statement out of the way: I'm not a fan of licensed settings in role-playing games. Today's column is rolling out of a Skype conversation that I had with a friend the other day. There's a lot of cool RPGs out there that are based upon cool movies, comic books, novels and cartoons. None of them are bad, and I'm not trying to call out licensed games or anything, but this column is going to be an exploration of different tastes and approaches to gaming. I know, something that I never do.

Let's just get the controversial statement out of the way: I'm not a fan of licensed settings in role-playing games. Today's column is rolling out of a Skype conversation that I had with a friend the other day. There's a lot of cool RPGs out there that are based upon cool movies, comic books, novels and cartoons. None of them are bad, and I'm not trying to call out licensed games or anything, but this column is going to be an exploration of different tastes and approaches to gaming. I know, something that I never do.

Before we get too far into things, let me just say that the headline for this article is a joke. In 1980 something amazing happened to role-playing games: the first licensed RPG was published. Just in case you don't know, that was the Dallas role-playing game from SPI. Yes, the first ever licensed role-playing game was based on the television show Dallas. I'm sure that the people at SPI thought that it was an excellent idea, I mean millions of people were watching the show. Millions. I was one of the 83 million people who were watching the episode of Dallas where JR was shot. I'm sure if I had known about the Dallas game I would have given it a try, but I also watched the reboot of the show a couple of years ago so I am a glutton for punishment.

But this opened the doors to every other licensed RPG over the years. From Rocky And Bullwinkle to The Dresden Files and from Masters of the Universe to Doctor Who, every licensed game out on the market has been sown from the seeds strewn by the Dallas game. There have been some really great games to come from those seeds, and a few mediocre ones but that is the breaks. The D6 System from West End Games was brought to us because of a number of licensed role-playing games and became a game of its own based on the system's strengths.

Now that I have you past the jump I am going to admit that this piece isn't just going to be about licensed games. I'm going to talk a bit about games with strong settings to them as well, but first a confession. I have never played an RPG in any of the following settings:

• Star Wars
  • Star Trek
  • Game of Thrones
  • The Dresden File
The reasons that I haven't played in any of those settings are different, because a couple of them are settings that I'm not a fan of and wouldn't play in because of that. No, I'm not going to say which ones I don't like. But, for a variety of reasons, these represent some of the reasons why I don't play in licensed games. One of the biggest reasons that I don't play them is because the cool stuff has already been done in the primary media (and, really, how many times do we need to blow up the Death Star anyway?) and I think that the strategy of playing around the edges of the setting doesn't have as much of an appeal.

When I do play in an established, licensed, setting I will play around the edges of things. I've run a Doctor Who game where the players were a timelost group of UNIT soldiers and researchers trying to find a way home again. For some reason early on the group decided that they had to avoid the Doctor (I don't remember the reason the players came up with, but it was a suggestion of the group) so they would bounce around in a few episodes of the show, and a couple of novels, while trying to not be noticed by the actual characters of the show.

I also extend this to a number of the "stronger" settings that have developed out of role-playing games, too. The Forgotten Realms. Glorantha. Warhammer 40K. Now, I've never played in The Forgotten Realms, but all three of those settings have one thing in common, they have taken on a size and life of their own. They have been developed through their games, and in a couple of case other media as well, until they have become as involved as many licensed settings. This weight can make them as difficult to use as licensed settings, because their development has lead to what can be an overwhelming amount of detail over the years. After "What do I do that the media's characters didn't already do?" the next mark against some settings can be that there is so much detail that it can be overwhelming. How do you deal with that? Sometimes you have to just focus into a tiny part of the setting and work from there.

As a GM I'll say that there are settings that scare the bejeezus out of me because of the amount of detail involved in them. I'm not one to commit myself to the amount of detail that you get from a lot of members of fandoms, which sometimes means that what I think is a good amount of setting knowledge ("Yeah, I've seen all of the Star Wars movies in the theaters.") ends up only being the tip of the iceberg. What I consider to be knowledgeable about the setting and what someone who has read a lot of novels and tie-ins and comics and watched a bunch of television shows considers to be knowledgeable tend to be different things. This can sometimes lead to friction within a group when there are two dramatically different sets of expectations that can clash with each other. Being open about what a campaign based on a pre-made setting will and won't contain is a good starting point for trying to alleviate those frictions. This is why a campaign pitch of "We're going to be playing in the Star Trek and/or Star Wars universe" isn't a good starting point. Both of those settings contain multitudes, and the aspects that appeal to one person about them might not appeal to another.

I've written before about one of my favorite games, which happens to be a licensed RPG. I've always been more of a fan of DC Comics than Marvel Comics, but the system from TSR's classic Marvel Super-Heroes Role-Playing Game always had more of an appeal to me than most of the DC Comics role-playing games that have happened (although I will always have a weak spot for the D6 version that West End Games put out). Luckily, TSR was really good about putting out support in the form of converting Marvel characters to the game, and giving you background on their stories. I have also usually worked around this by having the Marvel characters typically out of the way ("Yeah, the Fantastic Four is in another dimension, or something, and their helpline gave this number instead."), leaving the player characters to do things without being overwhelmed by the more famous heroes. In our college Marvel Super-Heroes campaign this ended up becoming a metacommentary as the player hero group started calling themselves "The World's Most Convenient Super-Heroes." Sometimes a work around can become a fun part of the game.

Not wanting to sound like I'm focusing on the negative here, I'll talk about a couple of games I like and their settings. Both of these I've talked about before: Stormbringer/Elric and Palladium's Rifts. I am not a huge fan of fantasy fiction, but the work of Michael Moorcock has been a favorite of mine since I started reading him as a kid. While the Elric books were my favorite when I was younger, they've been supplanted over time by his Jerry Cornelius and Dancers At The End of Time cycles. Both of these series are woefully underrepresented in role-playing games. Admittedly my intimate knowledge of the Elric stories are probably why I felt comfortable with games set in it. The main issue that comes up with playing a game in any of Moorcock's worlds comes from his periodic revising of his stories, or revisiting an earlier concept in a later book and casting it in a different way. Moorcock's multiverse from the early Elric stories and from the more recent Second Ether books like Fabulous Harbors are almost two entirely different settings. You get the extra challenge of "Which version of how the author addresses things do we use?" thrown into the mix.

I came to terms with my uncritical love for Palladium Games' series of Rifts games and setting books a long while ago. I'm not much of a fan of class and level systems, but I will drop everything for the chance to run a Palladium game. It doesn't make much sense to me either, at times. And I don't know if there are any settings that typify "OMG THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON IN THIS SETTING I CAN'T EVEN" than with Rifts. I've played in a game where there was a player with a character who was a Rogue Scholar and another character was a centaur that was a ROM-like Spaceknight knock off. Both of which were made using official character classes for the game. It becomes a worked example of "this is the stuff we pay attention to and let the rest become background noise" approach to a setting.

So, despite starting this column by talking about how I don't like to play in licensed or "heavy" settings, I end by talking about two of the settings that fit the criteria for things that I shouldn't like and then talk about why I like them. Much like our real lives, our gaming lives are filled with contradictions and sometimes it is better to focus on those contradictions rather than the absolutes. I think in the long run it ends up making us all happier as people and gamers.
SaveSave

Jhaelen

First Post
I don't have any particular like or dislike for licensed settings as a whole. I'd like to think I judge each one on its own merits.
I do prefer systems that have mechanics that support the setting, though. I.e. I rarely consider generic RPGs (or D&D) to be the best fit for a licensed setting.

'The One Ring' has already been mentioned, and I think it's a great example of a system that has been created specifically to tell stories that have the 'feel' of one of J.R.R. Tolkien's stories set in Middle-Earth.

FFG's Star Wars RPG is also a pretty good match, but I feel it could be even better, e.g. regarding its treatment of the Force.

I don't usually have a problem to tell new and independent stories in licensed settings. But I can see how players' expectations could be a potential problem. If you have a player who insists he wants to play Frodo or Luke Skywalker, he's sure to be disappointed.

Ghal Maraz

Adventurer
Greg Stafford has always said - and keeps on doing it - that "Your Glorantha may vary". And I think that that sum it up everything about existing settings: you want to adher to the "canon" and play around it? Feel free to do so. On the other hand, if you want to go wild and crazy with your games, take the established background at any point and time you decide and blow it up.

"The One Ring" has already been mentioned at least twice, but I would like to point to "The Darkening of Mirkwood" supplement as an example of how to frame a campaign (and a sandbox-y one too!) by skirting to the edge of the canon, letting the strength of the setting shine and also giving some Named Character "fan-service" to the players, whose PCs are still the stars of the game.

knasser

First Post
I have a simple question: Do licensed settings bring new players to the hobby of RPGs?

I already have an answer ready: Yes.

And now, I give my conclusion: Hooray for licenced settings! We desperately need new players.

Apologies for the lengthy post! :)

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Because you get strange issues like four sessions later BSing about why a character did something and they said "well, the prince has been established as having a hatred of dwarves after what happened to his sister, so I made myself scarce not to turn him against us".

And the DM goes "huh, what?"

Or the other side is that the DM may expect the players to know the Realms if they say they do. Say she expects the players to know about political tensions between group X and nation Y, and when they don't adventure hooks and opportunities get missed.

It's not difficult to have a conversation with your players before a campaign begins and hit the high points of what you are and are not using from the vast amount of setting lore. Most GM's I know do that. Some even have a campaign intro handout that covers something like this. I've never run into a scenarios such as you describe, where a player makes major in-character decisions based on assumptions that were never discussed within the game. Additionally it sounds like player knowledge driving character actions that make no sense for the character.

As a DM if I want my players to know about political tensions beforehand, because it's relevant to the game in some way, then I'm going to tell them - I'm not going to assume or make them guess.

Why would you use a pre-existing setting if you don't want to use the pre-existing setting? I'm most familiar with the Realms back in 2nd Ed days, and we could talk to players at other tables the mythal around Myth Drannor, and if someone said "skyship" we knew they were from Halruua.

Using an established setting is so that you've got that shorthand and mental images already. It's not just "know-it-alls" trying to ruin things, it's expectations on the players and DM which can be out of sync.

Yes! Exactly! And using that common knowledge does not require you to use every single piece of canon out there!
Star Wars: "Only the movies are canon" has been a common campaign rule for many years for many people. You draw the line wherever you think best serves your campaign.

Forgotten Realms: "Only the 1st edition boxed set is canon and we're playing in that time, prior to the time of troubles". Look at that - using an established universe without expecting everyone to know every single piece of lore about it. This is pretty common stuff.

Now I can't talk about Traveller, but I can talk about 13th Age. There they have a setting done in broad strokes, more hooks and things to make you go "wow", and not just do you customize it, but explicitly they have mechanical bits for the players to really make it their own in some ways it impacts their character. I can picture Traveller like that.

That's a very different feel then FR where ever detail has been recorded and there's a history that goes back millennium.

If you don't know anything about the Traveller setting then I'm not sure why you would compare it to 13th Age and its what, 4 books? Traveller has been in print (roughly continuously) since 1977. The main setting is the Third Imperium which is made up of over 11,000 worlds all of which have been mapped and described in game terms, as have most worlds in neighboring sectors. It's a ridiculously detailed setting with thousands of years of history, politics, wars, technological changes. It was created by wargamers, so it uses hex maps to show all of this. An interactive example:

https://travellermap.com/

Despite all of this canon information a regular topic of discussion is "what parts of this do I use for my game" because you literally cannot use all of it because it doesn't always agree! There are conflicting dates, important personalities described as being in multiple locations at the same time, drastic re-interpretations of how the technology works in-universe between different editions of the game, and sometimes stuff people just don't like. There was a shake-up in the official timeline at a certain point as the emperor was assassinated and a civil war started up. A lot of people prefer the more steady-state Imperium so the parallel GURPS Traveller universe carried on with no assassination and no rebellion, which meant we had two official timelines in print at the same time that followed very different paths. There have been 11 different editions of rules for the Traveller RPG, sometimes with 2 or 3 versions in print at the same time. Conflicts happen. The vast majority of them will have no impact on your game but if you want to set some common expectations all it takes is a conversation.

You can use a setting without using everything tied to that setting. A game setting is not some holy writ stored behind glass - it's intended to serve your campaign, not the other way around. You shouldn't be afraid to mark it up, bend it, or break it if it makes for a better game. I'm running a Star Wars game where the main point of distinction is that at the end of Empire, when Vader says to Luke "Join Me", Luke says "OK". Everything before that point is probably fine to assume as "canon". After that point, not so much! It's still a "Star Wars" game. My players were pretty excited when they realized this as it's still totally familiar yet it's wide open too.

You only really ever get into trouble if you have players that treat the thing as a religious text. That seems to be a lot more rare in real life than it is on the internet. I've never had a player say "but you can't do that or that can't be true because of X". Maybe I've been lucky, maybe they get that this is a game, I don't know, but you can have a ton of fun with licensed or established settings if you aren't afraid to make them your own. That's kind of the point of playing in them.

BytomMan

First Post
I always run my Star Wars games in the Knights of the Old Republic era. It feels "Star Wars" but it's so far removed from the movie timeline, that it never feels like the characters are less important than any canon characters. I'm going to run my Star Trek game in the Kelvin universe, since that canon is wide open anyhow. Your home game is YOUR game...

AriochQ

Adventurer
One licensed setting we had a great time playing...James Bond 007! Running the pre-packaged adventures were hit or miss, but the general concept of being a member of MI6 and stopping over-the-top bad guys dastardly plans was a load of fun. We had already played Top Secret, but it was nice to have the shared knowledge of the 007 universe to draw upon. If JB007 would have been better supported, we probably would have played it longer.

On the other end of the spectrum, a licensed game I had a hard time getting into, Middle Earth Role Playing. It was hard to have a really enjoyable play experience just nibbling around the edges of that universe. You were far better off just inserting elements of the MERP universe into a generic fantasy campaign setting, allowing the characters to be the real heroes.

But, let's take that Rogue One example. It's a great movie, true, but, as an RPG would blow chunks. Completely linear and railroady. And lots of Deus Ex Machina as well. You would have to ensure that none of the NPC's died at the wrong time, that other NPC's remained squarely off screen (no meeting Vader, for example) and that the PC's fit within an extremely constrained plot line.

Great stories don't necessarily make for great RPG's.

I mean, yay, 5 seasons of Clone Wars where you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that none of the primary characters is ever in any danger. You know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Grievous (as an example) cannot be killed or captured. So on and so forth. Great story, sure, but, as an RPG? Blarg. No thanks.

But, like any great contradiction, I do actually LIKE some extensive settings. I'm a ginormous Battletech nerd. :p So, I get the attraction. But, I also understand the other side of the coin which says, "10000 pages of setting material? Bugger that!"

This cracks me up because I consider Star Wars: Rogue One to be the archetype of a RPG session turned into film. Maybe you're thinking about this the wrong way: Star Wars is exceedingly rich as a universe and also immense. If you play the Knights of the Old Republic games and MMO it shows how you can do an entire "semi canon" Star Wars campaign indefinitely with all the trappings and never once violate the events of the movies.

Rogue One was an example of what a storyline from a game would look like if it was filmed. You're thinking about this backwards: it's not a film the game must emulate, it's a film which emulates the game you ran. There are all kinds of interesting niches in the films which would allow for impressive stories spun off from the main plot without ever touching on the Star Wars core storylines or characters.

Grievous, for example. Assuming the GM wants a viable foe for the PCs but doesn't want a storyline that either goes alternate reality of Grievous dies, or requires handwavium for him to escape in the eventual conflict, then you simply use him as point of inspiration for that other Separatist General, Lord Vulmoth the Defiler who was recruited by Count Dooku in the fringeworlds to lead the conflict against the Correllian Sector. BAM you've got a villain and a location that's full of endless potential in a region untouched by the films. As Lord Vulmoth builds a prototype Sunkiller Weapon, one which may or may not bear a suspicious resemblance to the thing in The Force Awakens the PCs must rush to save Corellia and its neighboring systems against this dire Separatist threat....even while a Sith Agent, recruited as part of Sidious's endless tentacles, plays both parties behind the scenes.

Star Wars plots are so frickin' easy to write. All you have to understand is that the RPG is not about emulation, it is about capturing the core of what makes the films interesting: bigger than life plots, bigger than life characters, endless galactic potential in a pulp SF universe, and a playing ground that is the size of a Galaxy. The films focus on maybe 12-15 worlds, but the Old Republic dominated 25,000 planets over just as many years. That's an enormous amount of room in the sandbox to play with.

Hussar

Legend
/snip

Grievous, for example. Assuming the GM wants a viable foe for the PCs but doesn't want a storyline that either goes alternate reality of Grievous dies, or requires handwavium for him to escape in the eventual conflict, then you simply use him as point of inspiration for that other Separatist General, Lord Vulmoth the Defiler who was recruited by Count Dooku in the fringeworlds to lead the conflict against the Correllian Sector. BAM you've got a villain and a location that's full of endless potential in a region untouched by the films. As Lord Vulmoth builds a prototype Sunkiller Weapon, one which may or may not bear a suspicious resemblance to the thing in The Force Awakens the PCs must rush to save Corellia and its neighboring systems against this dire Separatist threat....even while a Sith Agent, recruited as part of Sidious's endless tentacles, plays both parties behind the scenes.
/snip

But, hang on. Isn't the point of playing in a world like this to use that shared language that people already know about the setting?

I know nothing about Lord Vulmoth. He's no different than any other home-brew baddy that I can make for my own home-brew setting world. Oh, we're in the Fringeworlds. Ok, a setting that no one knows anything about - because they aren't really detailed anywhere.

So, you've just made your Star Wars game into Generic Space Opera setting. Why am I bothering wading through thousands of pages of back story and whatnot? Why not just go full on home-brew if I'm not actually going to use any of the details from the setting?

IOW, what's the point of using a licensed setting if I'm ejecting 99% of that setting? This was the point in that horrendously long Forgotten Realms thread back a few months ago. Everyone points to the vast treasure trove of knowledge for these settings. BUT, for some of us, that's a NEGATIVE. Having an encyclopedia sized backlog of setting material completely turns me off of the setting.

I'M NOT INTERESTED IN READING THOUSANDS OF PAGES OF MATERIAL TO FIGURE OUT WHAT I CAN RUN IN A SETTING.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I don't like being overshadowed by main characters so when I'm playing or running in a licensed world (or just a heavily detailed one like FR) I tend to prefer an edge of some kind. Most worlds have good ones, either temporally or just areas that aren't very explored.

Take Star Wars. I've played in at least five different SW games over the years: One I can't recall the time frame of (SWD6), one set about 1000 years before the first trilogy (SWD6), one (sadly too brief) set in the Corporate Sector (SWD20Revised), one set in the Old Republic between the comics and the events leading up to the really excellent video game Knights of the Old Republic (SWD20Revised), and one set after the prequels (SAGA). The latter game had a lot of cool moments although there were times when I felt signature characters got to be a bit much, though fortunately they were from some novels and not the movies. The rest avoided signature characters or the main arc of the movies. All campaigns were fun and let us explore iconic aspects of Star Wars---Hutt crime bosses, bounty hunters with jet packs, Jedi, ship combat, the really insane ergonomics of long drops, and blasters based on a tricked out Mauser C96---without feeling like our characters were unimportant or irrelevant. (D6 really breaks down for very experienced characters, though.)

Where things get unpleasant is when you have a fanboy who's an "expert" at all things Star Wars (or whatever), but who wants to play with that kind of person anyway?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads