D&D 5E Kuo Toa or Bullywugs? Who is more fun?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Both are fun.

I used Kuo-Toa in my last campaign. The PCs were delving deep into a dungeon to get at the lair of an aberrant dragon. The kuo-toa were its worshippers, led by the insane kuo-toa archpriest Holy Mackerel who called upon all fishmen everywhere to make a pilgrimage to the dungeon ahead of the gate to The Shade opening. Some arrived with a holy relic - the skull of the last Fish Pope (a flameskull) - which nearly killed the characters. To this day, everyone's still afraid of the Fish Pope.

Previously, I have used bullywugs as pirates. Captain Burrp was one of my favorite NPCs. He sailed a great, fat galleon called The Crapaud.

The_Gneech

Explorer
Both are fun.

I used Kuo-Toa in my last campaign. The PCs were delving deep into a dungeon to get at the lair of an aberrant dragon. The kuo-toa were its worshippers, led by the insane kuo-toa archpriest Holy Mackerel who called upon all fishmen everywhere to make a pilgrimage to the dungeon ahead of the gate to The Shade opening. Some arrived with a holy relic - the skull of the last Fish Pope (a flameskull) - which nearly killed the characters. To this day, everyone's still afraid of the Fish Pope.

Previously, I have used bullywugs as pirates. Captain Burrp was one of my favorite NPCs. He sailed a great, fat galleon called The Crapaud.

Brilliant!

-TG :cool:

The Human Target

Adventurer
Bullywugs.

The name is fun to say.

I ran a fun adventure with them once.

The PCs were hired to retrieve an artifact of Pelor in an abandoned mud covered tower in a swamp. Turns out the swamp around the tower was a bullywug hatchery. The waters were swarming with bullywug tadpoles and heavily guarded by members of the tribe and guardian bull frogs. The top floor of the tower held the artifact, which the Bullywugs worshipped as a sacred fertility idol. It also held a teeny tiny portal to a mud dimension that constantly dripped mud and scumy water into the tower which had drained down the sides for centuries creating the swamp.

In the end they killed/bypassed the frog folk, fought some mud elementals, and managed to close the portal... kind of. The portal became unstable and blew up right as the party leapt from the top floor into the muddy water below.

Good times.

They still hate Bullywugs on spec.

irish44

Villager
Enough with goblins and skeletons. Let's talk about having fun with the c-team of low level monsters.

I've never ran either. Looking for some inspiration.

Howdy folks! I hope everyone is well!

I have a soft spot for Kuo Toa going back to the early 80's so I guess I would lean that way.

Cheers!

schnee

First Post
I have had some non-combat fun with bullywugs, however.
---
I've set up bullywug society as led by a deeply insecure nobility that desperately (and badly) replicates the behaviours and trappings of the human culture that they've had contact with. Of course, being deeply insecure, the bullywug leaders are always intent on proving that they are better at everything than everyone else - which they are quite clearly not.
---
This has led to some hilarious gaming sessions, including one where the PCs had to negotiate with one "Blubber the Glutt", self-proclaimed king of all the bullywug tribes
---
The party had to engage in various games of skill against bullywug champions, whom they had to beat (to avoid becoming dinner for the tribe), while also humiliating members of the king's court, and stroking the king's own ego, to solidify the king's position as premier leader of the bullywugs.
---
Then the PCs had to flatter Blubber the Glutt and shower him with gifts, while humiliating and embarrassing his courtiers for their breaches of etiquette. And note that you don't give a bullywug king gold and gems. You give him frilly lace shirts, foppish hats (feather obligatory), velvet surcoats with shiny buttons, an ornate rapier, and all of the other trappings of pretentious nobility.

This is one of the most inspiring low-level adventure ideas I've ever heard.

This is like Alice in Wonderland, in D&D form.

Giving XP wasn't enough. Bravo.

Herosmith14

First Post
Honestly, I've never used either, though they both sound fun. I'm considering doing an adventure with a Kuo-Tao that's either a Warlock or a Cleric, but their patron/deity doesn't actually exist.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Coroc

Hero
In my Imagination bullywugs look a Little bit like teenage mutant ninja turtles, so if you want it to be comical, go for them. And they can jump real far and high (=Parcours for City Settings)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
After the bullywug-set trap underneath the Swamp Castle in HotDQ nearly killed our party Rogue (and I got to rescue her from drowning, being a Paladin and all), I came out not especially liking bullywugs. So much so that, when we found the tadpole hatchery, I asked if any of the magic-users in the party had a lightning cantrip so we could just zap the tadpoles all dead. But if you want to use them, be sure to include some similar trap and scenery.

MarkB

Legend
There's some nice background on Kuo-toa in Out of the Abyss, specifically a sidebar on roleplaying them in the Sloobludop chapter. For instance, Kuo-Toa lack eyelids, and thus look exactly the same asleep as awake - and additionally, practically all kuo-toa are prone to sleepwalking. As a result, there's roughly a 25% chance that any kuo-toa found wandering the streets of their village is actually asleep.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Bullybugs can be fun if you use their social structure and psychology as other people told you. In HotDQ you can see exactly how their worship an insecure and dirty shaman. I would use the thing with drug and hallucinations to enhance the adventure. That is where the fun with them came when I ran that adventure.
On the other hand, kuo-toads proved to be much more than crazy fish-men, they have churches, beliefs, buildings, societies and they are crazy as &@#@. In OotA you can spoil an entire community and it is AWESOME. Only great memories from that session. They way they created a deity just believing in her is amazing. They are not only crazy cultists. They have fears and feelings.

Remove ads