How I Learned To Stop Worrying About Game Prep

One of the things that eternally plagues game masters is the subject of game prep. How do we find that balance between having more material than we will ever need, and having a session come to a stop because there wasn't enough prep done? This is something, I think that most game masters deal with regardless of how long of a time they have been sitting in the game master's chair. Really, as long as a game entertains everyone at the table, you've done the right amount of prep. However, the question will always remain.

One of the things that eternally plagues game masters is the subject of game prep. How do we find that balance between having more material than we will ever need, and having a session come to a stop because there wasn't enough prep done? This is something, I think that most game masters deal with regardless of how long of a time they have been sitting in the game master's chair. Really, as long as a game entertains everyone at the table, you've done the right amount of prep. However, the question will always remain.

I've been gaming since 1979, and by about 1980 or so I started GMing more or less full time. In the "old days" the answer to "How much do I prep?" was answered by the very robust publishing schedule of most role-playing game publisher. For example, I played a lot of the Marvel Super-Heroes role-playing game from TSR in college, and the years afterwards. I didn't read as many Marvel comics as I did (do!) read DC comics, so I was always at a disadvantage with the Marvel universe because of that. Because of the fact that TSR published so much material for the game between adventures and roster books, they managed to fill in a lot of the blanks for me with their official material. Many of the TSR published settings for AD&D around that same period gave you a lot of material to work with, regardless of whether you played in the Forgotten Realms or Al-Quadim or the Planescape settings, you had a lot of your prepwork done for you.

Publishers like White Wolf took this tact as well, sometimes giving you more material than you might ever even need as a GM.

Unfortunately, while we are in a different sort of golden age of riches as gamers, the day of the overabundance of pre-made material is in the past. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it sometimes requires adaptation from those of us who have been gaming for a longer time. I like a low prep approach to gaming as a GM, since I'm not 11 years old anymore, I don't have the time to spend on game prep that I once did (nor do I really have the desire, either). Sometimes my preferences for low prep games interferes with my running of older games at times, the techniques that work for newer games don't always work in older games.

This is why I was attracted to a system like Fate from Evil Hat Productions. I've played and run Fate games since Spirit of the Century debuted years ago, and the approach of the game has been becoming my default approach for a few years now. The first rule of game mastering is that no idea that you have (regardless of the amount of prep that you put into a game session) will survive its encounter with the players. They will zig when the story zags. But the nice thing about the system is that when this happens all that you need to do is come up with a couple of aspects, a skill or two (approaches if you use Fate Accelerated like I do) and roll with it. Games like the many, many variants of the Basic Roleplaying Game or the open content of Mongoose Publishing's fantasy RPG Legend (or their version of the Runequest rules from which Legend was derived) make that easy too. Come up with a couple of skills on the fly, give them percentages and worry about filling in the spaces later.

With our ongoing Marvel Super-Heroes game I find myself taking NPCs and working them into something close enough to work with. Our campaign is loosely based in the Marvel Universe, which works mostly because the players don't have a super detailed level of knowledge about the world, so that gives me plenty of wiggle room. Besides, the longer the campaign goes on, the less it has to do with the Marvel Universe proper anyway.

So, how do you balance these things out when you want to be a low prep sort of GM? There's a few guidelines that come from how I run a game:

• Know your system. This is probably the most important one. You hear a lot of people talk about "internalizing" a game system. What this means, for me, is that you have developed a high degree of system mastery in your chosen game system. One of the reasons that I like to use the Marvel Super-Heroes RPG is because I have run it long enough that I know the system really well, and can run it without having to flip through books trying to find something. I'll have a few pages of notes, NPCs written out if the game is complex enough to need them in advance, and then everything else during our sessions have me make situational rulings. I will use the game's universal table to resolve things, and come up with similar resolution ideas on the fly. But to do this, you have to know the system.
  • Know your genre. This is almost as important as knowing the system that you're running. I've read comics for longer than I've played role-playing games. I have enough comic plots nearly memorized to be able to repurpose them for campaigns for years. If I don't, I can read a trade collection before a session and use the ideas in our game. Most GMs have read enough fantasy novels, or seen enough fantasy movies, to be able to do the same things. The trick is to find the things that the players don't know, so they won't think that you're just repurposing someone else's story.
  • Be able to be flexible about things. One of the basic skills of a GM is that you need to be able to learn how to spin things out on the fly. If you can't be flexible as a GM, if you can't make things up on the spot as a reaction to what the players are doing, you are going to have a hard time being a low prep GM.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but they are a good starting point. Not everyone is going to want to be a low prep GM, but there will be those times when it will be needed and you might want to know what to do.

I have a friend who is always amazed when I run an evening's game with just some notes in my gaming Moleskine and a copy of the Fate Accelerated rules. Sometimes I'll have a brief idea of what I want to use for the setting, and other times I'll see what bits and pieces the players give up, that excites them.

Recently, on Free RPG Day, I ran a three hour session of Fate Accelerated for eight people (only about half of whom I actually knew). The idea was that the whole game would be generated on the spot, and play would roll out of what the players and I created. Fate's game creation rules are helpful for this, because they quantify a way to make up a setting at the table. I started with some prompts for the game. I wrote up a set of basic genre cues on index cards which said things like "A Space Ship Adventure…but…" The players filled in the "but…" with "all the characters are robots." We were off. For the next few minutes we outlined the details of the setting: everything took place on a sentient AI-driven biomechanical space ship, except the ship's AI was getting senile and things were slowly starting to malfunction. While the players made up their characters I put together a few other details: the ship was on a ten year exploratory tour, beaming back information to a central command that would be used later for voyages with ships that were occupied with people. The ship itself was built with planned obsolescence in mind, and the "falling apart" was planned from the beginning. Within about half an hour we were ready to go, and we played for another two and a half hours, until we got to a stopping point. The game was still left open-ended, so that if we had all so desired we could have spun it into an ongoing game.

This shows the basic concepts of low prep play in action. If this is something that you want to give a try, you now know where to start. The genre of the game, the system that you use all figure into how you do this. Now you know.
What sort of prep do you do as a GM?

Divine Bobhead

Explorer
I still have a hard time believing that without preparation you can achieve better than the gaming equivalent of the TV series 'Lost'. Compelling and fun at first, but falls apart as soon as you have to explain anything or try to finish the story arcs and mysteries that you've begun. No team of writers without a story arc well plotted out to begin with, have in the history of television ever managed to do something like Babylon 5. Usually, the lack of preparation on there part causes the series to fall apart before the end of the first season - just as soon as you get past the six episodes that were part of the original show's pitch - regardless of how tremendously the show began.

I'm not saying it is impossible, it's just inconceivable to me. I've only a limited experience with other DMs, but I've never seen anyone pull off a no preparation campaign and rarely even a no preparation session. My sense is that the duration of most games is under a dozen sessions, and as such the duration both contributes to the sense that no preparation works, as well as being a consequence of the no preparation itself.

Or course, I could be totally wrong and this is just something outside of my experience. But while I have some idea how you improvise, because I have to do that all the time, I have no idea how you improvise without preparation.

I just wrapped up a two year cypher campaign that I put prep into the setting design before we played and then I improvised pretty much the entire game/plot until the final session at which point I pulled together the last remaining plot threads, tied them off and made sure that all the PCs personal plots were squared away. Worked out great. Player's had a really good time. Now mind you I did the heavy lifting at the beginning, working out the details of the setting, but once that was done I didn't really do much more prep the entire next two years.

This is a variation however on how I've ran for the past 30 years or so however so I've got a lot of practice doing this exact thing. I've tried it the other way, building encounters in detail and lots of NPC write ups and detailed plot outlines and I've not found that they turned out as well. I do better the more room I have to adjust on the fly.

Mercule

Adventurer
As such, when you say, "Depends on who it is", I think you hit the nail on the head. There might be a couple dozen GMs capable of winging a fully fun FATE session with no specific preparation, based on their knowledge of the system, their tremendous imagination, and their years of experience as GMs. But if I don't know who the GM is in mflayermonks hypothetical, I'm staying well away from that table on the presumption that they probably aren't as superstar as they think they are.

And I'm still not convinced that a GM could do that week after week and not manage to create Lost or the BSG reboot, rather than Babylon 5 or the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon.
I definitely think the "who" is as important as the "what". Most of the best games* I've been in were 75% winged and I'm not sure the other 25% was ever written down. But.... I've got a player -- he prefers to play, but can be talked into GMing -- who does a fabulous job at running modules. Very enjoyable, ties things together nicely, keeps the action going, that sort of thing.

For myself, I've almost exclusively winged it. Started off that way, but then "got smart" and started copying the style of modules, just less formal. It never took. After about a year, I went back to winging it. It depends on how you frame it, though. There's a lot of stuff in my head, but I don't worry about getting it to paper.

I've run campaigns that lasted for years. In college, I'd run campaigns/chronicles that lasted the school year, close out with a solid resolution, then start something the next fall -- one of those was actually a sequel to the previous year's campaign, but definitely different.

One of the things that really soured me on 3E was that it really did require prep time to do it well. Sure, you can wing the 15th level captain, along with his three friends, but the heavy sense of balance really made me feel like I needed to stat things out fairly. Totally killed my game. Since 5E came out, I've been running the published adventures, but they just don't feel as "alive". I should try winging 5E before doing anything too drastic.

I've really been eyeing Fate and Savage Worlds a lot, lately, though.

* The one that truly amazed me was the guy who ran Fantasy Hero without prep.

3catcircus

Adventurer
For me, i just use published settings and adventures and modify to suit. Then instead of having to spend time thinking up plots and npc backgrounds, you can work out multiple plot threads to plan for multiple directions that the players could go. Npc stats? I reuse alot, and only fully stat important npcs. That captain of the guard just as easily works as a rival npc fighter as he does as a wizard's major domo..

hawkeyefan

Legend
I've come to see that there are two levels of game prep. Campaign prep, which happens before tha game begins and then likely comtimues throughout, and session prep.

I do a lot of campaign prep...NPCs, organizations, locations, events....all of the world building and plot seeding. For me, this is the most valuable prep because if you have these elements established, then you can determine the different ways these things take shape around the actions of the PCs.

For session prep, I generally jot down a list of bullet points that are a kind of loose session summary, and then I let things happen based on the players' decisions. I find if I commit too strongly to what's "supposed" to happen in the session, then it's not as organic. Better to have a sketch and then allow the players to fill in the details.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Using the Cypher System I have literally had players accuse me of writing sections of the game that night for them and I had to explain that I create 90% of the night on the fly - I have a very loose idea of what I want to do and what the players might do (Goals to meet) and then just run with it.

And a little advice from Numenera: have a list of names handy. No one wants to meet Bob the Builder.

A list of placenames comes in handy too. For Numenera players, the book comes with a detailed map and several location descriptions. For other players: no, we don't want to discover the town of "Rivendell" unless we've already been playing in Middle Earth.

And I'm always open to good OGRE suggestions...

Jhaelen

First Post
And I'm still not convinced that a GM could do that week after week and not manage to create Lost or the BSG reboot, rather than Babylon 5 or the Avatar: The Last Airbender cartoon.
I'd say, creating a campaign that is as compelling as the BSG reboot would be a pretty good achievement!

I guess, it mostly depends on your expectations and goals. Also, I cannot imagine a storyline like 'Babylon 5' working as an RPG campaign without being extremely railroady. Otherwise, you'd have to re-write the whole thing after every session! Going for that kind of thing may work in an 'Adventure Path', but not every group enjoys that.

pemerton

Legend
Does using (say) monsters from a published book of monsters, or maps from a module or campaign book, or a vignette or plot hook taken from a published source, count as "prep" or as "no prep"?

3catcircus

Adventurer
Does using (say) monsters from a published book of monsters, or maps from a module or campaign book, or a vignette or plot hook taken from a published source, count as "prep" or as "no prep"?

Depends. Did you flip open the book to the creature and use as-is or did you spend an hour taking it and modifying the stats to something else?

pemerton

Legend
Depends. Did you flip open the book to the creature and use as-is or did you spend an hour taking it and modifying the stats to something else?
Spending an hour modifying a creature seems a pretty clear case of preparation.

I'm asking about using a monster from a published book, or other published material like maps, vignettes, etc.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads