D&D 5E OrcPub is Closing Down

Rellott

Explorer
I can't say I'm surprised, though I am disappointed. He was using non-SRD content without a licensing agreement or anything like that. With Beyond out there, it was just a matter of time before he was shut down. Really though, it was a solid product and WOTC probably should have hired him and his team to do Beyond. Trying to make money on a product that uses someone else's IP will get you that cease and desist though.

To my knowledge, there was no team. It was a one-man operation as a side-gig/hobby for him. Which makes it that much more impressive.

manduck

Explorer
To my knowledge, there was no team. It was a one-man operation as a side-gig/hobby for him. Which makes it that much more impressive.

Wow, it was impressive enough if a team had worked on it. If it was just him, then I'm that much more impressed. He has some incredible skills and ideas.

Mercule

Adventurer
Wow, it was impressive enough if a team had worked on it. If it was just him, then I'm that much more impressed. He has some incredible skills and ideas.
Yeah. It makes some of the DDB shortcomings that much more painful.

Don't misunderstand. I do actually think that WotC was well within their rights to send a C&D (assuming that's what happened). I also did not use OrcPub because I like MPMB's sheet much, much better. I'm hoping that MPMB putting his(?) sheet on the DMsGuild gives some protection from a similar fate, but I've been concerned about it since DDB was announced.

manduck

Explorer

Don't misunderstand. I do actually think that WotC was well within their rights to send a C&D (assuming that's what happened). I also did not use OrcPub because I like MPMB's sheet much, much better. I'm hoping that MPMB putting his(?) sheet on the DMsGuild gives some protection from a similar fate, but I've been concerned about it since DDB was announced.

I completely agree. WOTC was well within their rights (assuming that's what happened). Were I in their position and someone was using my content for a similar product that wasn't licensed with my company, I would do exactly the same thing. It really is a shame to see that talent and good work wasted though. I haven't checked out MPBM's sheet. I wasn't even aware of it, as I don't get to DM's Guild much. So I'll have to take a look and see what it's all about.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls

Keep in mind those that made D&DB had people they had to answer to when trying to add ideas to product. A single person or small independent team has no such restrictions.

Mercule

Adventurer
Keep in mind those that made D&DB had people they had to answer to when trying to add ideas to product. A single person or small independent team has no such restrictions.
I get it. I'm a professional web application developer. The bureaucracy takes its toll, even though it also pays the bills. I would almost guarantee that having extra layer of Curse/WotC licensing is more a multiplicative factor than additive.

Cause doesn't really matter, though. It's not a rational response, just perception.

Remove ads