Dispel Magic on Armor?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
If 1e Dispel Magic is cast on magic armor that grants the wearer of the armor invisiblility, does the "A dispel magic willnot affect a specially enchanted item such as a scroll, magic ring, wand,rod, staff, miscellaneous magic item, magic weapon, magic shield, ormagic armor," from the spell description (PHB p. 47) mean that the magic is not removed from the armor yet the wearer becomes visible or that the spell does nothing in this case?

Celebrim

Legend
If 1e Dispel Magic is cast on magic armor that grants the wearer of the armor invisiblility, does the "A dispel magic willnot affect a specially enchanted item such as a scroll, magic ring, wand,rod, staff, miscellaneous magic item, magic weapon, magic shield, ormagic armor," from the spell description (PHB p. 47) mean that the magic is not removed from the armor yet the wearer becomes visible or that the spell does nothing in this case?

In general, the spell will do nothing. The exception is if a magic item does not grant a magical effect, but instead grants the ability to cast a spell, in which case the ongoing spell might be dispelled but the item itself will be unaffected. For example, the spell cast from a ring of spell storing can be dispelled, but the ring itself can't be effected. However, I can't think of any armor that works like that in 1e.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It can't affect the permanent magic of the armor so it wouldn't affect the armor's magical bonus at all and wouldn't remove the armor's ability to confer invisibility on the wearer. The strictest interpretation is that it can't really affect the invisibility effect either, but I think it would be entirely reasonable to dispel the invisibility effect. I'd set the caster level of the effect at 11th level (at least) since it would have taken at least an 11th level caster to enchant the magic item.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Your welcome, but at the time you posed the question, I didn't realize you were roping me into an argument in a different thread.

I was trying to help you understand the 1e game, not make points in some EnWorld thread.

Sorry. I'll delete that post in the other thread. I didn't mean upset you.

In general, the spell will do nothing. The exception is if a magic item does not grant a magical effect, but instead grants the ability to cast a spell, in which case the ongoing spell might be dispelled but the item itself will be unaffected. For example, the spell cast from a ring of spell storing can be dispelled, but the ring itself can't be effected. However, I can't think of any armor that works like that in 1e.
Per the DMG, if cast AT a magic item (not just within the area but cast ON the item) it will cause it to be non-operational for 1 round if the item fails a save. If an item other than a potion is simply in the area of effect rather than the target then there is no effect. Artifact/relics are, of course, completely unaffected regardless. Potions are another exception in that they simply need to be in the area of effect to possibly be destroyed by a Dispel - and are considered 12th level for that purpose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases