D&D 5E Stuff to make high level games more viable?

So according to this thread, there are people who have trouble with high level 5E. If there were products that would help them, perhaps they would consider purchasing them? Are there any eager creators out there willing to answer the call for fun (maybe) and profit (also maybe)?

I'm looking for things like super hard adventures designed to challenge optimized and smart PCs. Monsters with powerful abilities and numbers high enough to not fall flat in two rounds. Advice and guidelines to help DM become better able to deal high level PCs. Or whatever that can help DMs make higher level play easier/funner/better to run/play.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I was involved in the original thread that led to this one.

I think that perhaps some "paragon" versions of some of the higher CR monsters from the Monster Manual would be in order. Some of the upper echelon of demons and devils and the like.
[MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION] has done some great work in http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES but as the title suggests these are incredibly high level monsters along the lines of deities and elder beings and the like. I believe that there are a few "slightly beefed up" versions of things like the Pit Fiend and Balor, but the majority of creatures in the entry have CRs that are off the charts.

I think something like this but not quite as deadly would be possible. A middle ground of sorts. Take the base creature, let's say a Pit Fiend for example, and then maybe create a few varieties of the creature to try and increase the challenge, or to give the DM some options to choose from. Something like a "Pit Fiend Hellslinger" or a "Pit Fiend Hellcaster". Shift the creature's focus a bit, or tweak their abilities slightly, in order to increase their efficacy and utility.

But as I mentioned in the other thread, it may prove tough to gain interest in something like this, since the folks crying loudest for a solution to this problem will only accept something from WotC as a solution.

dave2008

Legend
I was involved in the original thread that led to this one.

I think that perhaps some "paragon" versions of some of the higher CR monsters from the Monster Manual would be in order. Some of the upper echelon of demons and devils and the like.

@dave2008 has done some great work in http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES but as the title suggests these are incredibly high level monsters along the lines of deities and elder beings and the like. I believe that there are a few "slightly beefed up" versions of things like the Pit Fiend and Balor, but the majority of creatures in the entry have CRs that are off the charts.

I think something like this but not quite as deadly would be possible. A middle ground of sorts. Take the base creature, let's say a Pit Fiend for example, and then maybe create a few varieties of the creature to try and increase the challenge, or to give the DM some options to choose from. Something like a "Pit Fiend Hellslinger" or a "Pit Fiend Hellcaster". Shift the creature's focus a bit, or tweak their abilities slightly, in order to increase their efficacy and utility.

But as I mentioned in the other thread, it may prove tough to gain interest in something like this, since the folks crying loudest for a solution to this problem will only accept something from WotC as a solution.

Well, I also have the 5e Hardcore Monsters thread that has monsters more like what your looking for. There is not as much there yet, but there are demons, giants, dragons, and Yaun-ti in the CR 10-24 range.

Unfortunately I haven't updated in a while. I want to finish up the Epic Monsters first then I will get back the lower CR threats.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Well, I also have the 5e Hardcore Monsters thread that has monsters more like what your looking for. There is not as much there yet, but there are demons, giants, dragons, and Yaun-ti in the CR 10-24 range.

Unfortunately I haven't updated in a while. I want to finish up the Epic Monsters first then I will get back the lower CR threats.

My apologies...I had forgotten about that thread. Definitely more in line with what I meant, and inspired by the same types of conversations.

dave2008

Legend
My apologies...I had forgotten about that thread. Definitely more in line with what I meant, and inspired by the same types of conversations.

No need to apologize, just wanted to make sure you knew that there was something closer to what you were talking about.

Remove ads