Effects of Death Curse (Tomb of Annihilation)

eryndel

Explorer
So, a question came up about the Death Curse for a DM planning session. Specifically, the death curse states:

"A humanoid whose hit point maximum is reduced can't increase or restore it. This is true whether the creature's hit points maximum is reduced by the Soulmonger or by some other life draining effect, such as the touch of a wight, wraith, or similar creature."

The question (interpretation) that was raised comes from the statement that the hit point maximum cannot be increased. Does this include when the character gains a level? If, say at 3rd level, you wander in the wrong direction and tangle with a wight. You survive, but your hit point maximum is reduced to 12 hp. Are you stuck at 12 hp even as you gain levels throughout the rest of the adventure (at least until the Death Curse is lifted)?

Tullowit

First Post
This may answer the question.

On page 1 and 2 of the "DDAL Death Curse Primer", it says:

"Characters who have been previously raised from the dead find their hit point maximum reduced by 1 each day at midnight, at the beginning of each non-DDHC adventure, and for each downtime day spent. The season starts after the curse has been active for 20 days—thus any previously-dead creatures subject to the curse find their maximum hit points reduced by 20 at the onset of the storyline. This reduction can’t be resisted or restored, and the reduced hit point maximum can’t be increased by spells or effects such as aid—although you can still get temporary hit points. Characters that advance in level increase their hit points as normal."

The files can be downloaded from http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208178/DD-Adventurers-League-Players-Pack

jasper

Rotten DM
No. You gain levels normally. 3rd level 18 hitpts. Wright smack down. Hit pts max is now 12. 4th level gain 8. Hit point now 20 max. But your total hit pts 26.

eryndel

Explorer
Thanks, I missed that part of the Primer. I don't mind making Wights and other undead scarier in ToA... just not that scary!

Tullowit

First Post
Welcome!

But fear not, I have found that several of the AL documents to contain some wording that makes things somewhat confusing.

I love the stuff, but hope things will be explained a tad more clearly for future documents. Especially since some of us are new to 5e after being away from D&D since, like 3e or so.

Terran589

First Post
Does this mean the adventure is less combat focused? The way this game system is built, enemies are guaranteed a swing at the PCs, so perma HP loss would be almost unavoidable if they force us to fight enemies with life drain on a regular basis. Does this season focus more on investigation?

CapnZapp

Legend
Does this mean the adventure is less combat focused? The way this game system is built, enemies are guaranteed a swing at the PCs, so perma HP loss would be almost unavoidable if they force us to fight enemies with life drain on a regular basis. Does this season focus more on investigation?
I would think it will run pretty much the same.

After all, the consequence of character death is... you rolling up a new character.

That's this season's theme. Annihilation.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads