D&D 5E Bladesinger - a criticism of its design

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I agree with you and retract my suggestion that they are okay. They're both thoroughly broken. I didn't realise how much by until I did these tests. Yes, absent these cantrips the picture changes, and it might be that fixing BS involves taking away these cantrips. But that is moving the goal posts, because these cantrips are part of the game and BS can use them.

BB is huge because "being sticky" is extraordinarily difficult in 5e. Thanks to disengage and weakening of AoOs in general.

A martial character can't achieve the stickiness of a 4e fighter until 8th level (4th for variant human) and with the use of 2 feats, and even then it's only 1 target per round.

Or they could go EK and do it from level 1 with a simple cantrip. Heck, magic initiate looks pretty attractive to any fighter, just for this cantrip (does magic initiate scale, if so, then it's VERY attractive).

That's big for a Cantrip!

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
BB is huge because "being sticky" is extraordinarily difficult in 5e. Thanks to disengage and weakening of AoOs in general.

A martial character can't achieve the stickiness of a 4e fighter until 8th level (4th for variant human) and with the use of 2 feats, and even then it's only 1 target per round.

Or they could go EK and do it from level 1 with a simple cantrip. Heck, magic initiate looks pretty attractive to any fighter, just for this cantrip (does magic initiate scale, if so, then it's VERY attractive).

Edit: well, level 3, not one. Variant human could do it at 1.

clearstream

(He, Him)

Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade are very enabling to Bladesinger, that's for sure. The former for tanking, the latter for dealing with hordes. Those spells - and Bladesinger - are intelligently designed from a game mechanics perspective: my criticism isn't to do with how they are constructed, but what they are constructed to do.

When I find myself debating whether a Wizard is better than a martial tank, all merely at parity with one, my spider-sense goes off! Oh wait, but you give up Wizard levels to do it... except of course, you don't. Maybe you know fewer spells? Not that either.

Any ideas BTW for a scenario for testing how BS does against another Arcane Tradition? What Tradition do you feel is otherwise strongest?

clearstream

(He, Him)
Maybe take a look at this thread?
Good call. Looks like those posters rated Portent first, Bladesong second*; other Arcane Traditions are fancied here and there, but with no consensus. I've been using a Diviner as my counter-case already, as no change there. My rating of "better at wizardry" is going to be efficiency. I don't care how these characters get results: whichever can do more with less wins. While I'm going to ignore style, I'm going to give "wizardry" a chance to shine in its traditional specialties in AoE and CC by playtesting two contrasting scenarios.

a) 2 lovable Hill Giants as before (CR 5)
b) 1 irritated Eye of Gruumsh and 5 angry Orogs (all CR 2)

All in the best possible taste. No flumphs will be harmed in the making of this comparison.

*My dislike about BS is less to do with its absolute power (which is undoubtedly high) as its capacity to put Wizards into a martial role (the evidence so far showing they overshadow martial tanks).

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Holy tautology: so you count as wizarding casting spells to resolve an encounter successfully, but only so long as those spells aren't used to tank. As a matter of definition, we have thus stipulated that BS is not doing wizardry.

Wizardry then is more a matter of style, rather than casting spells and getting useful results?

Okay, I'll try playtesting where the Wizard that replaces BS focuses on casting Scorching Ray. I tried Tasha's, but the short casting range (30') kept getting the Wizard dropped to zero. I'll include in that group an offensive Champion (although in the party that I've been testing the offensive Champion in as an alternative to BS, the giants keep killing it.)

Maybe alchemy will happen :)

Let's unpack this a bit, then:

You claim that wizards overshadow fighters because they can trivialize obstacles and encounters that the fighter cannot. This was stipulated for the sake of argument at the beginning, and I'll continue to stipulate it.

You then claim that bladesingers in particular are egregious at this overshadowing because the can still trivialize obstacles and encounters but can ALSO take the role of the tank from the fighter. Further, you narrowed the definition of fighter to Champion X and board with defensive style -- a choice I feel is lacking in comparative power due to the general poor performance of Champion in anything other than an offensive role, but that's not the point here.

So, given these two claims of how bladesingers overshadow fighters, we ran some numbers. Those number show that the example bladesinger can expect to use all of their slots performing as the tank at least 1 in 4 days (expected 25% of at least 10 strikes @ AC 22 with blur and warding bond up) as well as significant portion of a cleric's slots. This leaves no room for overshadowing of the first kind.

The examples clearly show that the bladesinger can do the fighter's job of being a tank (given: even better than a Champ X and board) but only if they dedicate all of their resources to accomplishing this task. This means the bladesinger isn't performing the usual wizardy overshadowing -- which would be using resources to do everything not directly related to enabling their tanking shtick. If we generally assume wizards are NOT tanking, then what they do to overshadow fighters would be the normal wizardy things. That's the point, and it's not a tautology -- there's a distinct and reasoned binning of ability here.

But, by your metric, ANY wizard is superior to a Champion X and board at tanking -- all wizards can wear platemail, use a shield, have warding bond cast upon them, and cast blur, for AC 21 with disadvantage, which is much better defensively than what any champion can produce. Sure, they're suffer disadvantage on any number of ability checks, but they can do the job better (according to your definitions here) because spells and a cleric aide-de-camp.

But, doing this requires ALL of the resources of a 6th level bladesinger. On good days you'll have a few slots left for normal wizardy things, but you cannot count on this because not having a shield or blur ready in a combat is likely fatal to the bladesinger. Further, the requirement that you maintain a concentration slot on defense means less flexibility for other things without high risk. This fact puts a significant limiter on when and how the bladesinger contributes other than running the blur/mage armor/shield combo, and is supported by the actual play accounts of running a bladesinger - strong early but then needing to step to the back line to perform as a wizard and not as a tank. This clearly supports my contention - so far completely ignored by you - that the bladesinger is very limited by action economy choices and the fact they can't run as a tank AND a wizard at the same time.

Your continued insistent on looking at isolated encounter setups and then extrapolating the 1 in 2 case as everyday expected is greatly skewing your understanding of how this tradition actually plays. It cannot both perform the tank role AND the wizard role. This limitation greatly reduces the overshadowing from the normal wizard, who can use her resources to trivialize encounters and obstacles in ways the fighter cannot, to being able to use all of those resources normally spent trivializing challenges to performing the tank role. I don't think this is egregious because 1) the resource cost is high, 2) it's risky (an ambush is very bad for the bladesinger and not uncommon in games), and 3) it only outperforms the most marginal of fighter builds.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Good call. Looks like those posters rated Portent first, Bladesong second*; other Arcane Traditions are fancied here and there, but with no consensus. I've been using a Diviner as my counter-case already, as no change there. My rating of "better at wizardry" is going to be efficiency. I don't care how these characters get results: whichever can do more with less wins. While I'm going to ignore style, I'm going to give "wizardry" a chance to shine in its traditional specialties in AoE and CC by playtesting two contrasting scenarios.

a) 2 lovable Hill Giants as before (CR 5)
b) 1 irritated Eye of Gruumsh and 5 angry Orogs (all CR 2)

All in the best possible taste. No flumphs will be harmed in the making of this comparison.

*My dislike about BS is less to do with its absolute power (which is undoubtedly high) as its capacity to put Wizards into a martial role (the evidence so far showing they overshadow martial tanks).

Define efficiency, please.

clearstream

(He, Him)
So, given these two claims of how bladesingers overshadow fighters, we ran some numbers. Those number show that the example bladesinger can expect to use all of their slots performing as the tank at least 1 in 4 days (expected 25% of at least 10 strikes @ AC 22 with blur and warding bond up) as well as significant portion of a cleric's slots. This leaves no room for overshadowing of the first kind.
This misreports the facts. We showed definitively that BS had at least two and more likely all three 3rd level slots unused by the end of the day. And that is assuming that their whole day is hard encounters against CR 5 Hill Giants that solely target them. They are hit twice per encounter.

Mage Armor
E1 Blur, Shield
E2 Blur, Shield
SR Arcane Recovery
E3 Blur, Shield
E4 Blur, Shield
+1 Shield to the combo of lose initiative + hit by rock

When you playtest this, what you find is that the second hit comes late enough that much of the time you don't need to refresh the Blur (Giant will die before another swing). BS has 75% chance to maintain Blur. So overwhelmingly most of the time, there is no need to refresh Blur. Worst case, you need to refresh it once per day. That leaves two 3rd level slots remaining.

And we now need to find out how Diviner does. What I'll do is report spells cast in each playtest.

Your continued insistent on looking at isolated encounter setups and then extrapolating the 1 in 2 case as everyday expected is greatly skewing your understanding of how this tradition actually plays.
I've playtested this character now through numerous scenarios, and I am playing in a campaign right next to one. I know how the tradition works out.

Put concisely, PDFs based on all hard, all CR 5 Hill Giant encounters (with atypical attack bonuses for their CR) fail to capture adventuring days at the table. Playtesting quickly reveals that factors a PDF doesn't capture, like range and position, matter.

It cannot both perform the tank role AND the wizard role. This limitation greatly reduces the overshadowing from the normal wizard, who can use her resources to trivialize encounters and obstacles in ways the fighter cannot, to being able to use all of those resources normally spent trivializing challenges to performing the tank role. I don't think this is egregious because 1) the resource cost is high, 2) it's risky (an ambush is very bad for the bladesinger and not uncommon in games), and 3) it only outperforms the most marginal of fighter builds.
Based on what I have seen so far (numerous playtests replacing BS with a Diviner or offensive Battlemaster or defensive Champion) the resource cost for BS is less than that of the alternative parties. You've remained stonily silent on that issue. What spells are your alternatives casting?

If offensive Battlemaster and defensive Champion aren't better than BS, what martial build is? Nominate it and I will test it.

If the resource cost was high, or BS survival in these fights felt risky, I'd agree with you. But it isn't, and they don't. The strongest tactic that I have found so far for foes is to pretend BS does not exist: spiking Booming Blade damage.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Define efficiency, please.
Efficiency is useful work done / effort or costs. Resolving each day of encounters successfully in favour of the party is the useful work to be done. The costs are in consumption of their resources. The least a Wizard can do is nothing at all. I tried playtesting that to get a sense of the baseline: as you might expect, it transfers resource costs onto other characters. So efficiency is a group metric. It's no good if Wizard ends up with say - all 3rd level slots free - if everyone else is burned out in the first encounter.

My playtesting cast has expanded over time and I am using (6th level)

1x Battlemaster SS Archer (I tried GWM, it gets mobbed and dies too often for my liking)
1x Arcane Trickster (this isn't top-tier damage, but we must pay at least some attention to the exploration tier)
1x Cleric Life Domain (I'm not wedded to this: feel free to suggest a different domain)
1x Diviner/BS/GWM Battlemaster/Defense Champion (for the next round of tests, it will be Diviner versus BS, note that the replacement characters enjoy the same ability array assumptions BS does)

Over our framing day (E1, E2, SR, E3, E4), they have

8 Superiority Dice
2 Action Surges
2 Second Winds
4/3/3 Wizard spell slots
1 Arcane Recovery (unfortunately, Expert Divination doesn't seem to offer much here)
4/3/3 Cleric spell slots
2 Channel Divinity
3 Arcane Trickster spell slots
3 HD each
Various HP totals
4 lives

So far, I've had Cleric proactively casting on BS, and reactively on others. I have an intuition that proactive casts will make non-BS parties also do better. What do you think? Shall I switch tactic for them?

I like the 50/50 point, but if we wanted to choose another then that could prove revealing. For example, Shield of Faith may turn out better than Warding Bond, in ensuring best overall survival. What point do you want to use?

I need to lock down spells (aside from Blur and cantrips, BS and Diviner have the same list). Diviner has Blade Ward, Firebolt, Message, Minor Illusion, Color Spray, Expeditious Retreat, False Life, Fog Cloud, Longstrider, Mage Armor, Shield, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Crown of Madness, Hold Person, Flaming Sphere, Levitate, Fireball, Fly, Haste, Hypnotic Pattern. BS replaces Firebolt and Message with Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade, and Flaming Sphere with Blur (BS is a living Flaming Sphere!)

Any changes?

I can do something like run 5 tests of each against each encounter, record end resources, and report back. The learning from a playtest is as much about the observations as the data: they represent only a small part of the space, but they reveal details that more abstract estimations can overlook.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This misreports the facts. We showed definitively that BS had at least two and more likely all three 3rd level slots unused by the end of the day. And that is assuming that their whole day is hard encounters against CR 5 Hill Giants that solely target them. They are hit twice per encounter.

Mage Armor
E1 Blur, Shield
E2 Blur, Shield
SR Arcane Recovery
E3 Blur, Shield
E4 Blur, Shield
+1 Shield to the combo of lose initiative + hit by rock
No, the analysis I did was for the 20I, 18D bladesinger. The difference between a 23 AC (20I) and a 22 AC (18I) is significant, and accounts for, at the 1 in 2 chance, a change from 6 to 8 expected hits. Adding in the loss of initiative round, that's 9 hits on 50% of the days.

But, again, the 1 in 2 metric is a poor assumption. Even going to 1:3 days the 18I bladesinger is taking 9 hits, and 1:4 10 hits. That burns out all 3rd slots. AND the fact that double the previous number of hits for 23 AC cannot be shielded at all. If we go for the 1:10 days, the takes 12 hits.

I'm not misrepresenting anything -- you've cherry picked an outcome that supports your premise. You cannot claim that you always keep all 3rd level slots when that obtains a bit less than 50% of the time (47% of the time) across the example day.

When you playtest this, what you find is that the second hit comes late enough that much of the time you don't need to refresh the Blur (Giant will die before another swing). BS has 75% chance to maintain Blur. So overwhelmingly most of the time, there is no need to refresh Blur. Worst case, you need to refresh it once per day. That leaves two 3rd level slots remaining.
At the 47% of days mark, sure. Are you really claiming that slightly less than half of all days is the appropriate baseline for assessing bladesinger power?

Let's have a bit of fun and go the other way. Let's look at the 2:3 day, the 67% day. The bladesinger uses 1 less 1st slot. At the 3:4 or 75% day, it's 2 less 1st slots. And, at the 9:10 day, or 90%, it's 3 fewer 1st slots. The take on this is that even great days, where the giants can't roll, you pick up some 1st level resources. On bad days, you burn 3rd level resources. Do you not see yet that the 50% mark you've chosen isn't a valid assumption of actual usage?

And we now need to find out how Diviner does. What I'll do is report spells cast in each playtest.

I've playtested this character now through numerous scenarios, and I am playing in a campaign right next to one. I know how the tradition works out.

Put concisely, PDFs based on all hard, all CR 5 Hill Giant encounters (with atypical attack bonuses for their CR) fail to capture adventuring days at the table. Playtesting quickly reveals that factors a PDF doesn't capture, like range and position, matter.
No, which is why I insisted that if we're going to compare how a bladesinger can tank, it needs to be on a per hit basis, as all the other things that confound, including scenario and actions taken biases, will result is skewed representations. For instance, it's possible to kill the giants effectively without a tank character at all -- in your scenario you're already kiting with 3 characters, so why not kite with all 4 and really get in some advantaged DPR?

This is why I completely discount your playtesting as anything but anecdotal.

Based on what I have seen so far (numerous playtests replacing BS with a Diviner or offensive Battlemaster or defensive Champion) the resource cost for BS is less than that of the alternative parties. You've remained stonily silent on that issue. What spells are your alternatives casting?
Because it's a bogus determination. In three fights, three hypnotic patterns shut down the giants (at least 1), dramatically reducing load on the champion and allowing focused fire damage. A fog cloud can allow for separation of the giants, again leading to defeat in detail. Many tactics exist to reduce incoming attacks with wizard spells that it's going to be highly dependent in each test what the dice roll.

Heck, a fireball 1st round adds enough damage on average (28) to each giant that they die a round earlier to the champion party, significantly reducing incoming attacks, and that assumes nothing but flame bolts after the first round cast.

YOU can't come up with a scenario that defeats a hard encounter with fewer resources than your favored bladesinger.

If offensive Battlemaster and defensive Champion aren't better than BS, what martial build is? Nominate it and I will test it.
What offensive battlemaster? An offensive greatsword weilding battlemaster with GWM, defensive style, and plate is AC 18, +8 (+3) to hit, and deals 2d6+15 per hit, with precision to boost hits (which are at 50%). The DPR output over the bladesinger is (assuming round 1 cast by bladesinger and javelins by battlemaster) almost double (110 to 65). The battlemaster accounts for a giant by himself in 4 rounds, even opening with javelins. A scenario where

If the resource cost was high, or BS survival in these fights felt risky, I'd agree with you. But it isn't, and they don't. The strongest tactic that I have found so far for foes is to pretend BS does not exist: spiking Booming Blade damage.
ONLY in situations where the rest of the party can kite, which, incidentally, limits incoming damage to rocks only. A better tactic for the giants is to leave a single giant holding the bladesinger while the other engages the party. And, I'm assuming you also are using perfect party cohesion where everyone else in the party attacks the giant held by the bladesinger? So, perfectly run party against giants that charge and you're shocked to find out your tactics built for this encounter work pretty well, but when you substitute in other builds and use the same tactics things don't work as well?

Come on, man.

Remove ads