Mentzer's Epic Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter Launches For 10 Game Systems!

Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter has launched! "Box, Darlene maps, 5 core books, 1 System book: D&D 5E, Pathfinder, Runequest, Savage Worlds, DCC, C&C, S&W, HackM, D&D BECMI, or 1E/2E"

Frank Mentzer's Worlds of Empyrea Kickstarter has launched! "Box, Darlene maps, 5 core books, 1 System book: D&D 5E, Pathfinder, Runequest, Savage Worlds, DCC, C&C, S&W, HackM, D&D BECMI, or 1E/2E"

834e50daab72e1da6ef25a44cd604417_original.jpg

For $50 you get the boxed set in PDF format, or you can go for the $65 print version. Each box contains a full-colour two-part map, an Empire core book softcover, a Player's Guide softcover, a system book for the game of your choice, and three "little brown books". There are larger reward tiers, of course - for $10,000 you get to join the inner circle of playtesters, and Frank will host 10 or more games on a virtual tabletop (VTT).

The aim of this Kickstarter is ambitions - a central game setting used by a multitude of different game systems, starting with the above ten, but with more planned for the future. Currently the setting supports:

• [FONT=&quot]Dungeons & Dragons 5E[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1E & 2E[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]​Dungeons & Dragons BECMI[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]RuneQuest[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Savage Worlds[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathfinder[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Castles & Crusades[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dungeon Crawl Classics[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Hackmaster[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Swords & Wizardry.[/FONT]

Frank is raising $250,000 for this Kickstarter.

Check out my interview with Frank here.

"Legendary Dungeons & Dragons® game author Frank Mentzer presents his own fantasy world, 40 years in the making!Philadelphia PA, 1978: Singles and spouses gather to tell stories together in a game that has run for 2 years, half as old as the rules themselves. These are the new Role Players, choosing cooperative games over competition. They love the epic tales from Frank’s D&D® game...fun and exciting, the dawn of an era!

Lake Geneva, 1983: Working at TSR, publisher of the game, Frank writes the D&D “Red Box” set and a full line thereafter, selling tens of millions of copies in 14 languages.

Near Lake Geneva, 2017: After a lifetime of gaming experience, the creator of that original campaign offers it for everyone’s use.

Loxley inc proudly presents—Frank Mentzer’s Worlds of Empyrea."

The all-star roundup of legendary TSR authors includes: David "Zeb" Cook (D&D Expert, AD&D 2e), Ed Greenwood (Forgotten Realms), Allen Hammack(Ghost Tower of Inverness), Tracy Hickman (Dragonlance, Ravenloft), Harold Johnson (Lost Shrine of Tamoachan), Tim Kask (Dragon Magazine), Len "Leomund" Lakofka (Lendore Isles),Steve Marsh (D&D Expert), Douglas Niles (City of Greyhawk), James M. Ward (Deities & Demigods, Gamma World), “Skip” Williams (Sage Advice, D&D 3e), with a Foreword by Margaret Weis (Dragonlance).

And the artists involved with the project are equally impressive: Clyde Caldwell, Liz Danforth, Jeff Dee, Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore, Jennell Jaquays, “Diesel” LaForce, Erol Otus, Stephen D. Sullivan.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
10 systems supported is also very ambitious. There is a lot being promised here.

I actually worry that it's overpromised. I had assumed that the different systems would be "stretch goals" - like it would start with a 5e compatible book at some smaller dollar amount target and then each game system would be a stretch goal to get the funding up. Having it all out there in with a lump $250K target without any stretch goals kind of defies the typical model.

That said, there's a lot of excitement about this project. I guess we'll see.

ZehirDisciple

Explorer
This looks interesting. I never played BECMI, but I have looked through my dad's old copies.

However, the $250K goal seems a bit much. They should have started lower and then added stretch goals, I mean, does he have any track record with Kickstarter?

Matthan

Explorer
I wish them all the best, but there wasn't anything in there that really grabbed my attention and made me want the product. I didn't watch the video (I never watch the videos), but I don't know what makes this setting special other than Mentzer's name and the list of contributors (but no sense as to the what or the scale of their contribution). Why does the setting even need a separate mechanical rulebook for so many settings? What does it include? Classes? Spells? Is it just stats of various NPCs? Is there something unique to the setting that requires mechanical adjustment? If so, I would like to know in the pitch. If not, why not save some money and energy by just making a rules free setting that can be used anywhere?

I don't even know why it's called Worlds of Empyrea. All the descriptions make it sound like a continent. Are there other worlds? Do they impact the setting? Is it just a clever nod to the DMs who will undoubtedly make their own world of Empyrea? I would appreciate knowing that in the pitch.

I also think creating and printing 10 separate system booklets is going to be a millstone around the project's neck. I don't doubt that they've run numbers and have estimates, but printing, sorting, packing, etc... is going to be a logistical nightmare. That may just be my pessimism though.

I came to D&D in late 2E and never read or played the modules that defined the D&D experience for the generation prior to me. My biggest gripe is that I feel like this is being pitched towards a hole in my nostalgia. I wish them all the best, but I also wish they would have considered pitching their content instead of the names involved.

dave2008

Legend
I started with BECMI and have very fond memories of those little boxes of heaven. Thus I really wanted to like this by I just don't see anything that grabs. In addition, the artwork shown just looks bad (despite some of the great names attached to the project). Coupled with the really high goal, this seems like a first timer / amateurish attempt at crowd funding. I will pass on this for now and maybe pick it up later if it gets good reviews.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
@ Matthan I began playing in 2nd edition as well, but pretty much the year it came out (89). I believe the big draw for it is the relation to Greyhawk, if you ever played that back in 2E. I'm not sure if I'll back it or not myself, but my love of Greyhawk, and how similar I believe this will feel, will make my nostalgia mode shell out cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Who is Darlene and what are the 3 little brown books (contents)?

i think it will get there considering how well 7th Sea and Numeria did. I plan on the $75 level but need to decide what D&D edition :)

edit - since my first post 2 hours ago, it's went up over 8k.
for a setting book, maps and a rule book for one of them, and still not knowing what the 3 little brown books are, $75 seems good to me. The green ronin taldorei campaign setting is $35 for 144 pages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads