Human Fighters Most Common Race/Class Combo In D&D

G

Guest 6801328

I can see the appeal of a world in which there are lots of playable non-standard races, including monsters, and the heroes can be anti-heroes if they want. And I can also see the appeal of a world (yes, like Middle Earth) in which players are expected to be the good guys, orcs and other monsters are essentially always the bad guys, and only a handful of races would ever be the heroes, with other races maybe playing supporting roles.

Just because the latter version was the default back in 1977 doesn't make it bad or uncreative. (You can still make bread with just flour, water, salt, and yeast and it may not be innovative or clever but it can still be delicious, even after all these years. Regardless of what Nathan Myhrvold says.)

Some people just like playing D&D the traditional way. You don't have to play with them if you don't like it.

Alexemplar

First Post
I can see the appeal of a world in which there are lots of playable non-standard races, including monsters, and the heroes can be anti-heroes if they want. And I can also see the appeal of a world (yes, like Middle Earth) in which players are expected to be the good guys, orcs and other monsters are essentially always the bad guys, and only a handful of races would ever be the heroes, with other races maybe playing supporting roles.

Just because the latter version was the default back in 1977 doesn't make it bad or uncreative. (You can still make bread with just flour, water, salt, and yeast and it may not be innovative or clever but it can still be delicious, even after all these years. Regardless of what Nathan Myhrvold says.)

Some people just like playing D&D the traditional way. You don't have to play with them if you don't like it.

There's also "Game of Thrones-style" where it's just Humans and all other races, including Elves (children of the Wood) are NPCs/monsters.

G

Guest 6801328

There's also "Game of Thrones-style" where it's just Humans and all other races, including Elves (children of the Wood) are NPCs/monsters.

Yeah, great example. Also totally valid and fun. ANd it could be that everybody plays an (insert non-human race here) and all other races are monsters, NPCs, slaves, whatever.

"Hey guys, this is fun, but I really like race X, and they don't fit here, so if anyone has some time, I was thinking of DMing a game every other week in a setting where race X fits."

I guess I put too much time into my setting... unless people can wait a few years for their new game setting :)

I'd say it's more likely someone else volunteer for the new time sink, er... setting. Humor aside, I've always tried to accommodate my players, just not at the expense of the setting which has seen over 40 years of play.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Lost mines of phandelver pregen characters: 2 human fighters, 1 elf wizard, 1 dwarf cleric, 1 halfling rogue.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/character_sheets

Also seems to consist of over-represented race/class combos, with a few exceptions (human druid, elf fighter, human barbarian).

I know that my home campaign started out with the phandelver pregens, but filed the numbers off, simply to make startup easier.

Oh, and if 10% of characters are multiclassed, but a multiclass counts for each class that it takes, then they're heavily overrepresented in these numbers.

Mephista

Adventurer
There is also a trend of human religious types being the evil, prejudiced ones, while all those labelled monsters are just folk trying to live their lives

prosfilaes

Adventurer
I can see the appeal of a world in which there are lots of playable non-standard races, including monsters, and the heroes can be anti-heroes if they want.

Which is conflating a lot of different stuff. You can play in a world where there's clear good and evil and have good people who are orcs. You can also have worlds where dragonborn and orcs are just another group of people, not monsters.

Labeling people who don't look like Cate Blanchett, Sean Bean, or Orlando Bloom as evil has some deeply problematic history. The standard mix can feel less diverse than just humans from diverse societies.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases