D&D 5E Starting ToA at 5th Level

pukunui

Legend
We just finished Forge. After losing one PC to the succubus, the party decided to bail out without fighting the dragon, the duergar, or the troglodytes. I'm thinking I'll keep them at 4th level as a result. That way some of the early stuff in ToA might still be a wee bit challenging, and I can let them level up to at least 5th somewhere in the jungle (I will track XP at my end) before they reach Omu.

To be honest, I think they'd probably enjoy just exploring. I don't think they need a strong central narrative at all. Which just makes me wonder: should I hold off on introducing the Death Curse so they *can* explore freely for a while, even though they're already 5th level, or should I bring it in from the start to give them a goal while they explore?

I think you answered your own question! Let them explore, then bring in the Death Curse at your leisure.

Croesus

Adventurer
In retrospect I wish I had dropped more hints on them in Port N., rather than waiting for them to find the hints all on their own.

Before running ToA, I'm planning to pull together a list of hints and where they lead so I ensure passing on this info to the PCs. Unless someone does all the work first, I expect this will take me quite some time.

This raises a couple points that all module writers should consider: 1) list hints that players can receive, and 2) have a quick list of all hints in the section with the side-trek/quest/adventure.

If I'm trying to encourage the party to take a specific side quest, or want to foreshadow something, having that list handy makes it more likely I'll communicate the information. If I just trust the PCs will talk to the right people, in the right order, at the right time...yeah, that's not happening.

When I ran PotA, a number of times someone would say "Who was it that told us about abc?", and I'd promptly go to section abc of the adventure and find...nothing. The person(s) giving the hint(s) were listed in the NPC description in their section of the adventure. If at the beginning of each adventure location there was a quick list of the hints that led to the location and who gives them, that would have helped enormously. It would also serve my first point, as a quick reference of the information that I may want to convey before the party go off toward that encounter/area/whatever.

Not sure how clear my point is, so I'll try again: module writers - make it easier to run your adventures by giving GMs quick lists of hints, clues, and so forth for each adventure area/quest. And put that list in the section describing that adventure area/quest.

Valmarius

First Post
I think you answered your own question! Let them explore, then bring in the Death Curse at your leisure.

This is essentially what I'm doing. Although I have introduced a rival exploring party, who can possibly get to ruins and ransack them before the PCs do.
So there's a bit of time pressure on getting to as many of the early ruins first. Then once the Death Curse kicks in they'll have a new objective. Exploration replaced with Survival.

CapnZapp

Legend
Before running ToA, I'm planning to pull together a list of hints and where they lead so I ensure passing on this info to the PCs. Unless someone does all the work first, I expect this will take me quite some time.

This raises a couple points that all module writers should consider: 1) list hints that players can receive, and 2) have a quick list of all hints in the section with the side-trek/quest/adventure.

If I'm trying to encourage the party to take a specific side quest, or want to foreshadow something, having that list handy makes it more likely I'll communicate the information. If I just trust the PCs will talk to the right people, in the right order, at the right time...yeah, that's not happening.

When I ran PotA, a number of times someone would say "Who was it that told us about abc?", and I'd promptly go to section abc of the adventure and find...nothing. The person(s) giving the hint(s) were listed in the NPC description in their section of the adventure. If at the beginning of each adventure location there was a quick list of the hints that led to the location and who gives them, that would have helped enormously. It would also serve my first point, as a quick reference of the information that I may want to convey before the party go off toward that encounter/area/whatever.

Not sure how clear my point is, so I'll try again: module writers - make it easier to run your adventures by giving GMs quick lists of hints, clues, and so forth for each adventure area/quest. And put that list in the section describing that adventure area/quest.
Did you see "my"* wiki thread?

*) I might have started it, but it's not really mine; it's a wiki thread!

(Sorry, can't easily find the link on mobile)

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
I have now. Thanks!

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?588985-Tomb-of-Annihilation-Leads-and-Clues-(spoilers)

I've also bookmarked the following site. Lots of info, though it appears to be mostly notes taken as someone read through the book, as opposed to an organized guide.

http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.ca/2017/09/dungeons-dragons-guide-to-tomb-of.html
Yes, his guides are normally more... holistic and less... just a dump of the adventure's crunch.

I take that as evidence that ToA is indeed challenging to wrap your mind around. It's a veritable web of info, scattered all over.

He did write a starter guide which is much more immediately accessible, to be fair.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'd like a more extensive list of such hints and info in the adventure, but even so, the rumors chart is a good start and other adventure writers should take note. Thanks.
What's missing is the backwards references.

You need a given piece of info both listed as a rumor, and then a reminder at the site (or NPC).

Not coincidentally that's exactly what I set up the wiki page to do. (Thanks for linking!)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases