[For bigtino] Thread about heavy armor

dekrass

Explorer
I think that particular thing is a perfect opportunity to bing back the armor skilll reducing defence penalties. The defence penalty is reduced by -1 for each die in the armor skill (that means you don't really need a light armor skill, but I think that works thematically -- wearing a synthetic weave shouldn't require skill; wearing powered combat armor should).

That makes sense.
It means that there's no reason to have more than 3 ranks in medium armor, though. I think consolidating medium and heavy into just one armor skill would work. It remains relevant for 10 ranks that way, and you get better at wearing heavier armor as you gain ranks. Plus you can work up to the heavier armors in skill much as you do in money.

daniiren

Explorer
The curves seem a little off somehow. Did you include the heavy armor defense penalty in that (to compare kevlar+def18 vs. battlesuit+def14)?

Yep, the code does that automatically. I think the takeaway point from this is that the kevlar survives on being harder to hit. The lines for kevlar don't decrease as quickly as for the battlesuit, but they tend to start at a lower quantile.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I know my simplistic math didn't take it into account, but does your simulator account for 6s rolled on damage always doing at least 1 damage each? I'm not sure it matters here since the minimum damage with at least one 6 is 9, but still.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using EN World mobile app

raspberryfh

First Post
For Kevlar (SOAK 5), that wouldn't make a difference, as any 6 would automatically break through SOAK. Without running the specifics of the math, that would increase the damage a bit more vs. the battlesuit, as any successful hit has a 1/6 chance of dealing at least 1 damage per damage die being rolled.

daniiren

Explorer
I know my simplistic math didn't take it into account, but does your simulator account for 6s rolled on damage always doing at least 1 damage each?

Yes it does. I'll try to clean up the code and post it for others to review and use soon. It's currently a bit unwieldy and obtuse.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I was thinking, how hard would it be to turn your code around so that it also crunches the numbers to see how long each target survives against a given threat? Also, if adding medium armor to the number crunching would be possible. Seeing as the heavy and light armors are so close in numbers, medium armor might be the true bad option.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For reference, final errata in v1.2 includes this:

- just one skill, "armor"
- dice reduce DEF penalties for heavier armor
- basically means don't need skill for light armor, but, hey, anybody can wear a leather jacket
- heavy armor getting a slight SOAK boost, and the electricity vulnerability reduced to half rather than full

Remove ads