D&D 5E Require Feedback on a by-the-book built Shadow Ninja

Brody Brookes

First Post
I would like to here an opinion on my Shadow Ninja build. It is my first attention at a major multi-class character.
Ok here we go ill just list levels and Class Features of on reference along with the book it is from for reference. :)

RACE : Elf from Players Handbook
SUB-RACE -RACE : Shadow-fey from Midgard Heros
To get their passive PATH OF SHADOWS

1st CLASS : Monk : Way of Shadow tradition from the Players Handbook. Take 11 levels in Shadow Monk mainly for the SHADOW ARTS, SHADOW STEP and CLOAK OF SHADOWS features and proficiency in Shortswords

2nd CLASS : Warlock : The Archefey patron from the Players Handbook. Take 6 levels in The Archfey Warlock mainly for the MISTY ESCAPE FEATURE along with PACT OF THE BLADE, the BLINK spell andTHIRSTING BLADE invocation at level 5, DEVIL'S SIGHT invocation

3rd CLASS : Rogue : Shadow : from the The Dark Arts Players Companion book. And finally take 3 levels in Shadow Rogue mainly for the EXPERTISE, SNEAK ATTACK, CUNNING ACTION and SEVERED SHADOW Features along with UMBRATURGY and DUELING SHADOWS cantrips.

ALL DONE NOW :) PLZ GIVE CRITICAL FEED BACK AND ADICE ON VIABLITY AND BUILD CHOICES

I don't recognise most of those sources that you're using.

However, I would suggest that you think about how you will actually be playing the character: most campaigns don't go above 15th level, so designing a character that will only feel complete at level 20 is generally a mistake.

Mephista

Adventurer
Well, first thing we need to do is talk about shadow elf. That's from Kobald Press, not something most of us here are familiar with, so its impossible for us to judge it. I'm going to assume we're looking at a +WIS race. If not, then right then I'm going to stop you and suggest a race that does give it.

The Rogue subclass you're talking about is available free here: http://guidetohomebrew.blogspot.com/p/dark-arts-players.html Might want to edit that into your main post so everyone can see it and be on the same page.

Then, lets consider action economy. The Shadow Monk is a warrior class that makes heavy use of its bonus action - not just for Shadow Step, but any default KI action. Rogue's Cunning Action and Severed Shadow is also competing here. If you use Hex from warlock, that's another. At most, you want two bonus actions you rely on. This is over the top, and too many dead levels. Meanwhile? You have almost nothing that is involving using up your reaction - just misty escape, and that's just once per rest; that leaves several rounds with nothing to do. That's not that great.

Pact of the Blade does nothing for your PC. You can already use weapons, and Thirsting Blade doesn't stack with Extra Attack. Both abilities just allow you to attack twice instead of once when you take the Attack Action. Fighter levels 11 and 20 are the only exception to this, because they flat out say "third" and "fourth" attacks. Every other feature says "two attacks." You're effectively investing 6 levels in warlock for Misty Escape, Blink, and Devils' Sight. That's too many levels for too little benefit; at best, three levels and drop misty escape. Think about getting a familiar or cantrip book instead.

Lastly, lets talk snap shots. Optimization isn't about just level 20 characters, unless you're starting off at level 20. We need to consider how your character is going to function at each level, and if they're up to par with other characters. Now, 11 levels in Shadow Monk followed by 3 in Rogue is not bad. +7 average damage per turn in exchange for giving up proficiency in all saving throws is not a bad trade. However, if we do level 11 Shadow Monk with the six from Warlock? I can tell you right now that you'll be falling behind others in terms of damage and ability. You'll be losing several features as well as an ASI/feat than if you just went to 17th level Shadow Monk. Heck, level 17 Shadow Monk lets you make a reaction attack for free almost every turn, which fixes your action economy issue and adds fair amount of damage since Sneak Attack applies to reaction attacks as well as regular attacks.

Mephista

Adventurer
I just found some info on the Shadow Fey, and I'm going to say right now that its a bad choice. Its a variation on drow that gives Misty Step instead of the usual spells.

Not only is this lowering your AC as a monk, and giving you another bonus action thing that is little different from the monk's shadow step, but you have a warrior type with Sunlight Sensitivity. That's a lot of drawback for little benefit.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Mephista's comments seem pretty solid. And it sounds like you are asking for the kind of optimization advice he is giving.

But if your main motivation here is a character concept that the race and class choices support, then that is fine. The character as you laid out will not be a disaster and as long as you have fun playing it, then you are good. Even in that case, I might scale warlock back to two levels, just to get devil sight, or possibly three so you can cast darkness.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases