Odd things about superheroes...

you know what..a lot of the issues brought up in this thread have actually been answered one way or another in various comics/films/cartoons over the years....

MarkB

Legend
Still...even the Boss is going to have issues with blaming MRE Roulette after a while, and will be itching for a change. And he won't exactly be able to fly to the Pizza Hut nearest Demon Skull Island without attracting somebody's attention.

Still the sidekick / henchperson's job.

"Hyperlad, I'm peckish. Pop down to the corner shop and pick up some muffins, and those fruit-flavoured teabags - the good stuff, not the store-brand ones."

"But sir, the corner shop is 238 miles away through trackless swamp and jung-"

"No excuses, boy - it's character building!"

And how much stuff can he reasonably fit in The Demon Plane to supplement the minions' twice monthly trips to Sam's and a good Army/Navy surplus store?

He doesn't need a whole plane. The sidekick just takes along his utility belt and fills it up - those things have near-unlimited storage space.

Hussar

Legend
It’s this sort of thing that keeps me away from superhero rpg’s. :)

But to add to the list:

Given the coverage of cameras today, how could a superhero possibly hide his identity?

While Batman might not kill, why hasn’t anyone else, and there are lots, chucked the various recurring villains off a building?

For that matter, why aren’t various villains whacking other villains? It’s not like Lex Luthor has anything in common with Joker.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
While Batman might not kill, why hasn’t anyone else, and there are lots, chucked the various recurring villains off a building?

For that matter, why aren’t various villains whacking other villains? It’s not like Lex Luthor has anything in common with Joker.

Joker and Lex cooperated several times, actually, starting way back in 1957.
And if heroes killed their recurring villains, aside from them no longer recurring, that would be a big burden on the writers and make the comics nothing but a gritty, Iron Age fest of bleakness. And nobody really wants that.

MarkB

Legend
Joker and Lex cooperated several times, actually, starting way back in 1957.
And if heroes killed their recurring villains, aside from them no longer recurring, that would be a big burden on the writers and make the comics nothing but a gritty, Iron Age fest of bleakness. And nobody really wants that.

Also, we do see various villains trying to kill each other often enough. Quite often, it's up to the hero to save one from another.

Hussar

Legend
Oh, I understand the reasons. Which are all sort of meta-level reasons that don't really reach down to the level of the actual fiction. I mean, you've got someone like a crime boss Falcone, who has lots of money. Why not just hire Deadshot, and execute these guys that are hurting your business? Batman's bad enough, but, at least he's not trying to burn the city to the ground.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh, I understand the reasons. Which are all sort of meta-level reasons that don't really reach down to the level of the actual fiction. I mean, you've got someone like a crime boss Falcone, who has lots of money. Why not just hire Deadshot, and execute these guys that are hurting your business? Batman's bad enough, but, at least he's not trying to burn the city to the ground.

Venture Brothers answers this humorously and neatly with The Guild of Calamitous Intent. Essentially, the villains are all part of a cartel with rules about...well, everything. Step out of line, and you MIGHT get killed. Note: some guild members- being evil, sneaky people- secretly do break those rules and DO plot to have other members whacked without official permission.

And heroes rarely get killed because that’s against most of the rules for “Arching”.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
if heroes killed their recurring villains, aside from them no longer recurring, that would be a big burden on the writers and make the comics nothing but a gritty, Iron Age fest of bleakness.
OTOH, from time to time the writers could have a new villain make his presence known by killing off some old semi-retired B-Team villains from yesteryear.

Remove ads