New Podcast Roundup 10-19-2017

In the second part of this series, we'll continue to highlight the best in new RPG podcasts. This week's offerings range from an eclectic bunch of cyberpunks, through a piratical D&D live play, to a monster-inspiring discussion of cryptids.

In the second part of this series, we'll continue to highlight the best in new RPG podcasts. This week's offerings range from an eclectic bunch of cyberpunks, through a piratical D&D live play, to a monster-inspiring discussion of cryptids.

The cast of DumDumDie describes themselves as an "All female. All awesome!" live-play podcast. The show actually started as a way to explore improvisational play as performers and now is a weekly gathering of remarkable women creating high-fantasy adventures together. The action is frenetic, there is a distinct vein of comedy, the group chemistry is excellent, and the accents are…….inconsistent.

The Cryptid Keeper isn't specifically an RPG podcast, but it is an excellent resource for GMs of any system. A self-described Appalachian folklorist and a horror-savvy scream queen discuss mythical monsters and their origins. A lot of the cryptids discussed are native to North America, but there is also a smattering of old world horrors. The show is a font of monster lore, and the information they dish up could easily add depth to whatever critters you are planning to throw at your players.

Neo Scum is a Shadowrun inspired festival of cyber-punk styling, vicious cussing and on-point musical ques. The cast dissolves into hopeless giggles too often to really bring out Shadowrun's more grimdark aspects. The show is more a hyper-violent, neon-lit, caffeine-fueled roller coaster ride. It's consistently well acted, the characters are loveable, and the players are genuinely funny.

Wanderquest is a D&D 5th edition fantasy live-play adventure from Encounter Roleplay, set in the homebrew world of Khera. The first four episodes have been dedicated to filling out the character's backstories by playing out important events in their history. There's been a lot of strong character building and considerable attention to detail that will hopefully carry over into the main campaign.

DM’s Deep Dive is the brainchild of Slyflourish.com's Mike Shea. The show only has nine episodes so far, but each one is packed full of solid GMing advice. Each month Shea invites another veteran GM to sit down with him and dig into a particular aspect of roleplaying. So far the show has featured luminaries such as Matt Mercer and, the Dungeon Bastard himself, Tom Lommel. Whether you are an experienced GM or just starting out, there is plenty to learn from this show.

Seadogs is a 5th edition D&D live-play with a distinctly nautical theme. The players and GM are all relatively new to both Dungeons and Dragons and podcasting. The audio quality of the first couple of episodes is a little rough, but they are 7 episode in now, and the show is really hitting its stride, both narratively and in the quality of their recording.

contributed by John McCloy

Yaarel

He Mage
Hey, this stuff sounds awesome. Thanks for bringing these shows to my attention. Looking forward to checking out the Neo Scum near future setting, and Cryptid Keeper about reallife folklore. Others too.

1d4damage

First Post
Hey, this stuff sounds awesome. Thanks for bringing these shows to my attention. Looking forward to checking out the Neo Scum near future setting, and Cryptid Keeper about reallife folklore. Others too.

Cryptid Keep is an amazing show. Its a great resource for DMs and its just really bloody interesting. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Evenglare

Adventurer
If anyone's interested we have a D&D liveplay called Crystal Keep Chronicles. Essentially modeled after old snes JRPG type of games. I create tile based maps, and we play over roll 20. You can find podcast versions of it where ever you get your podcast, but more than that I do some heavy editing with polish on them for my youtube channel, add proper music, animations, sound effects, that kind of thing. Its a 5e game with some variant rules to make it run quicker, along with it I have the Crystal Keep Companion which are videos to explain the world that I've built. My day job is astrophysics and there's a lot of that with how the world is structured. Magic filling in the places where physics can't.

Anyway, its a biweekly thing, we stream on Tuesday nights. We shoot for each episode to be about an hour or so. If anyone is interested the youtube channel is www.youtube.com/crystariumnet Keep in mind that the channel has a bunch of stuff on it, each type of video has a correspondence to the color of thumbnails. Specifically the D&D liveplay are the purple ones. Anyway, we are a super small channel and I don't really like advertising my stuff, in lieu of it bothering people, but I figured this was a pretty good thread to do that. Anyway, take it easy guys and even if you don't listen, thanks for at least reading this post. .

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
D&D is for Nerds and Taking Initiative are 2 pods casts that I've enjoyed and ended up backing them on patreon....funny stuff and enjoying them both while I drive to work!

Fandabidozi

Explorer
I’m all caught up on Drunks and Dragons so I’ll definitely give these a listen.
Anyone into Power Rangers check out the Ranger Danger Podcast it’s brilliant.

Wurf_Stoneborn

First Post
This is a great list! One D&D podcast I particularly enjoy is called The Stranger Lands. It’s a really fun steampunk/fantasy and the cast has a great time. Their story features a lot of intrigue surrounding a missing archeologist and ancient treasure. A really good listen.

Fandabidozi

Explorer
Hey, thanks.
I don't know how much PR you watch but listening to the podcast after each episode of Dino Charge (2nd half of this season is called Dino Super Charge) is a great way to start.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads