Pathfinder 1E SO MANY OPTIONS - help please

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello

I have been GMing 5e for a while now but I haven't been able to play in a D&D game in several years - over 5 years ago I think (it was 3.5), and I've been missing playing. So I talked to a friend of mine about this, and it turns out that he has an opening in his ongoing campaign, huzza! - and it's a pathfinder game.

I think I need a bit of help. My only real exposure to pathfinder was, besides leafing through the books, was importing an alchemist into that 3.5 game I mentioned. He was a lot of fun, but I can't "resurrect" that PC since there is already an alchemist in the party. And I was remembering looking through some books during the bladedancer debate (5e) and telling myself "it's a shame there isn't a true gish class" - and lo there is one in pathfinder! I talk to the GM and I get the green light, apparently the party needs a 2nd tank so this will help.

So I start making a Magus - a fairly complex task. I have to choose race, class, skills, feats, spells and magus arcana. Also 23 000 gp to spend on magical equipment! Fair enough, this isn't too far from 3.5....

But then I learn there are alternative archetypes. Traits - and drawbacks. Favored class bonuses - and alternatives to those based on race. Alternative race features....

So... did I miss anything? are there other nobs, dials and levers I don't know about? Mutations? Quirks? Talents? Abilities? Curses?

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I wish I could help you, but I bailed out of Pathfinder after the Advanced Player's Guide (with specifics, anyway).

How much do you care about min/maxing vs. just having a thematic character? If the answer is 'little', you could always just run the Magus straight with default options and keep it simple. I seem to remember it being decent during the playtest, not sure what the finished product is like.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
First off, check with your DM about Traits, Drawbacks and alternate Race Features. Not all DMs use/allow them.
*For the Favored Class bonus you don't have to pick the same one every time. Some of the Racial options give a fraction of a bonus each level. For example, a Half-Elf gains +1 point to their Arcane Pool for every 4 levels of investment.
*You can have multiple archetypes, in so long as they do not interact with the same class features. It is possible to build a Magus who has the Bladebound, Myrmidarch and Staff Magus archetypes (not recommended but possible).
*If you're using the SRD, be careful of 3rd party content, unless your DM doesn't give a rat's arse. Generally speaking, if there is a link to the right to purchase a pdf, the content is 3rd party (even if it was published by Paizo).
*Technically there are Prestige classes; however, the vast majority only are beneficial for Pathfinder Society/role playing purposes.

Honestly, unless the people you're joining (or yourself) are minmaxers, I'd not worry so much about missing any extra bells and whistles. Try to have your DM look over your character sheet at least a day before your first session. That way they can tell you what, if anything you missed (or bring up a house rule they forgot to mention earlier).

jimtillman

Explorer
just go with what looks fun , well if playing in society a little min maxing is a good idea :)
there are some decent magus guides out there, there one of my favs , but i would recommend that for your 1st magus go with a pure magus or maybe a hex magus there the easiest to make and play IMHO

Arilyn

Hero
Yes, don't let choices overwhelm you. Pick what interests you, and worry about one level at a time. You don't need to read every option, unless you enjoy doing that. When I play PF, sometimes I will haul out every book and 3rd party book, and spend a hours on crafting my character. I find it fun to do. Other times, just thinking about all those books exhausts me, and I will create a character from one book only in half an hour or less. Either way gives me a fun, viable character.

jasper

Rotten DM
what a gish class? Hmm sword bearing spell caster. Thanks.
I would talk with your friend and say I want this ? When can I come over and have you help me build it.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Folks folks, I'm not asking for generic advice, I'm asking:

APART from feat, skills, archetypes, alternate race features, favored class bonus, traits, arcana (for the magus)... Did I miss something?

Thanks

(I'm making a Bladebound if you are curious. I know that you can't have a familiar, but I'm going to cast defensive bone on a skull and claim he's my familiar. I've named him Mr Magoo)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Folks folks, I'm not asking for generic advice, I'm asking:

APART from feat, skills, archetypes, alternate race features, favored class bonus, traits, arcana (for the magus)... Did I miss something?

Thanks

(I'm making a Bladebound if you are curious. I know that you can't have a familiar, but I'm going to cast defensive bone on a skull and claim he's my familiar. I've named him Mr Magoo)
From that list, I think just magic items.

Remove ads