Optimizing an Alchemist

Matthew De Haan

First Post
This campaign is using DND Pathfinder rules and books.

I am working on a grenadier alchemist with the saboteur archetype as well. Even thought saboteur is gnome only my DM is allowing it. I don't know if I want to go with half-orc or elf.

I am not sure if going all alchemist will be better or do I want to dip into Eldritch Archer archetype of the Magus to add a little more potency to my bombs.

I am currently lvl 3 but I am trying to maximize the build to 20... If I ever get there.

I will be using a bow to deliver my bombs at a farther range with the help from Nixitur,

Normal bomb gives you your Int bonus once. Explosive Missile allows you to essentially strap that bomb to your arrow, so that's a full bomb damage.
Targeted Bomb Admixture gives you your Int bonus again.
Conductive bow allows you to activate another bomb if you hit with the arrow, so that's another full bomb damage, including your Int bonus. However, Targeted Bomb Admixture should work for this bomb, too, giving you your Int bonus again.
And then, you can also add, say, Acid to your arrow with Alchemical Weapon for another 1d6+Int.Of course, this is extremely wasteful. That's 3 bombs and an alchemical weapon, but let's say you're level 9. Then, you're doing 11d6+5*Int of energy damage with one shot which is pretty disgusting. That's in three attacks, technically (bomb from Explosive Missile, bomb from Conductive bow, acid from Alchemical Weapon), so energy resistance could reduce that quite a bit, but the general idea is sound.
On the other hand, having this many separate attacks means potentially many saves and debuffs. For example, if your Explosive Missile bomb is a Blinding Bomb, your Conductive bow bomb is a Tanglefoot Bomb and your Alchemical Weapon is a Burst Jar, that could leave them blinded, deaf and entangled which is neat.

Here's another thought: If you use the Hybridization Funnel, allowing you to combine, say, Alchemist's Fire and Acid, does the resulting mixture only do your Int damage once or twice? After all, an attack with either Alchemist's Fire or Acid would add your Int bonus to damage and if you hit an enemy with the mixture, they "are affected as if hit by both".
So, if you ruled that hybridized mixtures would add your Int bonus to damage twice, you could get up to 12d6+6*Int damage on level 9 which is ridiculous.

And then, of course, you get Sticky Bomb at level 10 and all hell breaks loose.

I know i need the levels of alchemist to get my potency with bombs, so I don't know if it worth going magus.

Remove ads