Running Mods cold

Chuck Ocenasek

First Post
Looking to vent a bit. I hate going to a con and having a DM run the mod with no prep. Look I get it, getting enough people to DM is not always possible so some have to be pressed ganged into it.

Also I know someone is going to say " well you can always run." I do, but I also like to play at times.

My issue is our local GM, who NEVER prepares. He had all the adventures on his IPad and depending on the players availible players he picks the mod to run. It is always horrible, boring and no pashion. I have tried to offer to run, but he says he likes to DM and never wants to play. I am getting to the point I want to quit AL. Thoughts?

jasper

Rotten DM
Just stand up at the table and say "Jasper sucks at dming. I running Tier 1 module. I have prepared . Who is with me?"
Of course the other dm may put you on double secret probation.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
I'm not normally a proponent of 'dueling DMs', but in this case, if you've got complaints about your local DM, it's likely other players do too but keep mum at the table to avoid conflict. If you've got enough players at your venue to divide between the two of you, feel free to approach the owner/organizer and offer to run another game. At the very least, it'll give your players a chance to try both styles and decide which they like best.

And if your venue doesn't have space or otherwise isn't keen on setting up a 'competing' game, keep in mind that you can always run a 'private' AL game from your home or other location, as long as your table follows the rules in the ALPG, ALDMG, and other organizing documents.

Best of luck!

--
Pauper

jasper

Rotten DM
Psst CappZapp, pauper is preaching against the main dm. Put him on double secret probation and swap out some his d20 with cheater dice which roll 1s.

Anthraxus

Explorer
Maybe bring it up after a game sometime- "Hey, I was thinking of trying some DM'ing, and run Season (x) mods." and see what people think?

I just finished prepping for tonight's game (starts in under an hour). Took about 20 minutes to review my notes from last time and take a look over of the area in the AP the players are in. I do most of my prep the day after we play by writing up notes and putting in some ideas for next time, then review them shortly before we play.

jasper

Rotten DM
How we had fun two Labor day weekends ago. The Dm got the mod when he got to the store. So he was 3 sentences in front of us. So we had fun going off script and yell cut and rewind when he messed up.
So talk to your dm about his lack of prepping, and ask the group can you dm.

Remove ads