Ethos in RPGs

mmagsgreen

First Post
Hello! My name is Matt Green and I am a PhD student in the Writing and Rhetoric program at George Mason University. I am conducting a study on tabletop roleplaying games; with this study, I’m interested in how players explore different identities through their characters.

Toward this end, I was hoping some of you might be interested in filling out a four question yes/no survey. If you are, I would like to direct you to this page, which contains the informed consent document with a link to the survey at the bottom. I’ll also be keeping an eye on this thread to chat in case you’re interested in talking about this sort of thing.

We anticipate the survey should take you no more than five minutes.

Here’s the link to the informed consent document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPgFMohGCl4WTdtaURoZ0tneDg/view?usp=sharing

IRBNet Number: 1151502-1

Earlier this year, I posted a thread for a different TRPG study. You can find the slides from the subsequent presentation I gave at the 2017 Conference on College Composition and Communication here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPgFMohGCl4TDRHZkpwNU1XbzA/view?usp=sharing

It seems as if the first question is too simple to be too meaningful; of course my character shares many of my own traits, but certainly there are also significant differences.

Also; the second and third questions are going to render a bunch of answers that are subject to perception bias. I don't know that other players enjoy interacting with my character and having him around, except that I know that they haven't disliked it enough to tell me to knock it off or not come back.

mmagsgreen

First Post
It seems as if the first question is too simple to be too meaningful; of course my character shares many of my own traits, but certainly there are also significant differences.

Also; the second and third questions are going to render a bunch of answers that are subject to perception bias. I don't know that other players enjoy interacting with my character and having him around, except that I know that they haven't disliked it enough to tell me to knock it off or not come back.

Since one of the things we're measuring is perception, that works out for what we're trying to accomplish. Just getting a best guess is still useful. Thanks!

Ah. Well, that's what I get for trying to meddle with your material and methods without knowing anything about your actual goals! Carry on, with my apologies.

Remove ads