D&D 5E That’s a lot of charcoal! Find Familiar problem

The Big BZ

Explorer
That’s a lot of charcoal! Find Familiar problem

Apologies if this has been done already but I have only just spotted it. I am playing a Pact if the Chain Warlock in ToA and just reached Level 3 so learned Find Familiar as a ritual! Great you say, well in my preparations I went about sourcing the 10gp of charcoal that must be burnt to cast it and in doing so realised that 10gp is a hell of a lot of charcoal! Charcoal is a very cheap commodity so we’re talking maybe 100kgs for 10 gold. There goes my plan of lugging it in to the jungle for multiple castings!

It does show that proper use of use of gold and resources adds a good layer of detail and complexity and cuts down in some gamier elements of casting.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Perhaps it''s charcoal made from some rather pricey wood/substance!

Though to be fair, the 10 gp cost isn't just for the charcoal - it also includes incense and herbs (...that must be consumed within a brass brazier). So perhaps the herbs and incense are the components that bump the price up to 10 gp.

Croesus

Adventurer
I agree with the responses, the cost includes other materials than just charcoal.

That said, I think I'll create an NPC wizard who's a bit dotty, leading a mule with sacks and sacks of charcoal. He was taught an inferior version of the spell that only uses charcoal - lots of charcoal. :)

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I agree with the responses, the cost includes other materials than just charcoal.

That said, I think I'll create an NPC wizard who's a bit dotty, leading a mule with sacks and sacks of charcoal. He was taught an inferior version of the spell that only uses charcoal - lots of charcoal. :)

...all the more reason to BURN EVERYTHING, my dear.

gyor

Legend
It could specially prepared charcoal, made from only the finest trees, mixed with rare herbs and exotic incense, and finally bathed in pool of water that has only know the light of moon, never light sun.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Just an update to this my DM says that in his world the incense is a common aromatic oil and the herbs like a sprinkle of coriander (cilantro) for the ‘Muricans but in his benevolence he is ruling that the full weight of charcoal is only required for the first casting and a much smaller amount is required for subsequent castings so that’s a result. He made this ruling after consulting his original first edition books of course.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Just an update to this my DM says that in his world the incense is a common aromatic oil and the herbs like a sprinkle of coriander (cilantro) for the ‘Muricans but in his benevolence he is ruling that the full weight of charcoal is only required for the first casting and a much smaller amount is required for subsequent castings so that’s a result. He made this ruling after consulting his original first edition books of course.

So, the DM chooses to devalue two of the more expensive components, but graciously allows that you only need 10gp of charcoal for the first casting?

He should have just waved the material costs or reduced them instead of changing two things and then requiring the third to assume all of the expense.

EDIT: Although, I am impressed at the dissonance between handwaving away some things and being absolutely rigid to the rules on others within the same line of rules.

ro

First Post
Also remember that it is 10gp worth of charcoal, with no exchange rate specified. You can just go to a shop and insist on buying tiny pieces of charcoal for 10gp each.

Remove ads