D&D 5E Do things cleaned by Prestidigitation stay clean after the duration is over?

I guess it depends if it counts as altering something, but the spell description does use the word Instantaneously too, which might mean it's not subject to the duration.

Oofta

Legend
I've always ruled that it's a one time instantaneous cleaning, with no lasting effect. The description overrides the duration.

In other words, instant dry cleaning but no prevention of getting dirty immediately afterwords.

I guess another question would be how much does Prestidigitation clean?

Like with blood both fresh or on for hours, on things like clothes, blades, morningstars, carpets and so on?
Could it get Barnacles off of boat hulls (anecdotes from other people who've done such jobs for a summer says it's a lot of hard work)?
What about from a walk in the sewer where one has fought Otyughs and Black Puddings?

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I guess another question would be how much does Prestidigitation clean?

Like with blood both fresh or on for hours, on things like clothes, blades, morningstars, carpets and so on?
Could it get Barnacles off of boat hulls (anecdotes from other people who've done such jobs for a summer says it's a lot of hard work)?
What about from a walk in the sewer where one has fought Otyughs and Black Puddings?

In order:

Yes.
No. Reasoning: Barnacles are actually living creatures attached to the boat.
Yes. Assuming all you have is gore/filth and not a living creature attached to you.

Remove ads