D&D 5E Arcane Shot (XGE)

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Ok, I've seen the errata that fixes the "Magic Arrow" issue, but am I right in my reading that you never actually get more USES per rest? I.E. you get 2 uses which refresh with a short or long rest, but that number never increases, so even at level 20 when you have 6 options, you still only have 2 Arcane Shots?

pukunui

Legend
There is the ability that gives you one use if you start combat with no uses. Can't remember what level that kicks in, though.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yes, two uses per short or long rest.
Compare Samurai, whose comparable ability gets three uses per long rest.

Both get the re-up (where if you start a combat with no uses, you get a freebie): AA at level 15, Sam at 10.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
With the expected 6-8 encounters and 2-3 short rests per adventuring day, features like this that you can use twice and recover on a short rest are intended to be usable about once per encounter. This is further emphasized in the case of Arcane Shot by the fact that rather than getting more uses between short rests, they get a feature that allows them to recover one use of it per encounter if they run out.

For groups that don’t take a lot of short rests, it would be in the spirit of the rule to allow features like this and the warlock’s spell slots to be used once per encounter instead of twice and recovering both uses on a short rest. In fact, it’s probable that the reason they don’t just work this way by default is that encounter powers were one of those unpopular “game-y” features of 4e, so instead of giving them to us straight, they gave us short rest recovery powers, and since 5 minutes short rests were also deemed “unrealistic”, they had to give us two uses between a smaller number of longer short rests per day, to preserve the functionality of encounter powers while disguising their design.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
With the expected 6-8 encounters and 2-3 short rests per adventuring day, features like this that you can use twice and recover on a short rest are intended to be usable about once per encounter. This is further emphasized in the case of Arcane Shot by the fact that rather than getting more uses between short rests, they get a feature that allows them to recover one use of it per encounter if they run out.

For groups that don’t take a lot of short rests, it would be in the spirit of the rule to allow features like this and the warlock’s spell slots to be used once per encounter instead of twice and recovering both uses on a short rest. In fact, it’s probable that the reason they don’t just work this way by default is that encounter powers were one of those unpopular “game-y” features of 4e, so instead of giving them to us straight, they gave us short rest recovery powers, and since 5 minutes short rests were also deemed “unrealistic”, they had to give us two uses between a smaller number of longer short rests per day, to preserve the functionality of encounter powers while disguising their design.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory...

Remove ads