D&D 5E Player Lycanthrope Features

Herosmith14

First Post
So, over on DDB, I've been considering starting up a new PbP with a special gimmick. All the players are lycanthrope. Obviously, I'm not using the MM adaptions, so I came here for you guys to critique my custom stuff. Basically, the lycanthropy just gives you new abilities(plus forms), and I'm not going with immediate immunity. 1-4 levels will simply silver vulnerability, which will be traded for resistance at 5th. Full immunity will only kick in at 10th level, by which point EVERYONE will have silver/magic stuff.

On a note, I am letting the players be a Jackalwere, as I'm erasing the whole demonic origins thing, and having lycanthropy has absolutely no effect on alignment in my game. I'm looking for critique on the Jackalwere stuff in particular. Lycanthropy DC is 8 + prof + Con.

Alright, here's what I've got.

Werebear- +2 Str, Keen H/S, +1 AC

Wereboar- +1 Str, Keen H/S, Charge, Relentless

Wererat- +2 Dex, Keen H/S, Pack Tactics

Weretiger- +2 Str, Keen H/S, Pounce

Werewolf- +2 Str, Keen H/S, Pack Tactics

Jackalwere- +1 Dex, Keen H/S, Pack Tactics, Sleeping Gaze

Wereraven- Mimicry, Gradual Flight Development.

Ganymede81

First Post
These are essentially homebrew races.

Your best bet would be to try balancing them against the monster races in Volo's Guide. That'd give you a decent framework for assigning bonuses and features.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Giving many of them the same abilities will make everyone in the party seem the same, and those abilities not to seem special anymore. I'd suggest giving like 1-2 max things like Keen H/S and not repeat any combat-related abilities.

Herosmith14

First Post
Giving many of them the same abilities will make everyone in the party seem the same, and those abilities not to seem special anymore. I'd suggest giving like 1-2 max things like Keen H/S and not repeat any combat-related abilities.

That's a good point. I think I might kick PT off Werewolf (doesn't have it I. The stablock anyway) and maybe give more movement, I'll have to see if I can think of something better. That way there are only two weres that have PT, and you can either have more Rex or a passification ability if your optimizing.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Landon Guss

First Post
For the sake of making each lychanthrope appealing, maybe you could give each one a unique trait and a unique attack type? As of right now, only the wereboar and weretiger have special attack bonuses, and while not every player will be a "fighter" you still may want to consider making each one feel like they are actually living in the body of whatever lycanthrope animla they chose.

Love the idea for the campaign though!

Remove ads