Wondering If I can get some ideas?

Dustin Torres

First Post
Hello My name is Dustin Torres I have played Dungeons and Dragons since I was 14 years old. I been a Dungeon Master for going on 4 years. I still feel so amateur and low key inadequate in being one. Everyone loves playing with me as a DM but I cant help to feel there is more I can do. I am currently creating a Dungeons and Dragons RPG completely done by scratch with DnD as my backing. I created custom characters in the players design, lore for their characters. I have created new gods, new lore, and now im working on creating new spells. Before they come play this game I feel like I did so little to the development even though I spent months. Is there any advice that you can include to help me make this experience incredible. Its alot of work being the only DM since my Co DM works and goes to college. What are some key elements, factors, ideas, anything to make the game more attention pulling. Please and thank you.

(Back story of the RPG)

Our world of Tropora was once a happy and graceful land. Children played with joy and parents worked hard to provide. Life was simple yet it was full of optimism and purpose. Until a dreadful day came to our beloved lands and more importantly our homes. A dark figure rose from the Earth with tendrils of unholiness. One can describe such a heinous and vile creature as a creature out of hell. This creature was called Balzatar Demon King of Hell. I will never forget the day he rose from the earth to spread darkness. As well as to destroy the many races who came to be friends. Thankfully five brave heroes stood forward to cleanse Balzatar’s evil and banish him back to the depths of hell. Salvator The Paladin, Cassandra The Cleric, Daemon the Sorcerer, Patty The Ranger, And lastly Corbin The Thief/assassin. The epic battle took what seemed like years until Salvator and the noble heroes defeated Balzatar. Peace was known for 40 years which was long enough for our heroes to become old. A cult called Shtulba has risen and sacrificed innocent people to the altar of flames. Finally feeding a village worth of souls to channel energy to feed Balzatar’s power. Balzatar rose once more with his demon general Dalanoth and has took over half of the world. Tropora was divided into alignments and the closer you got to the heart of Balzatars evil the more wicked people were. I was a young teenage boy who witnessed the noble heroes die by Balzatars strength. They were in their seventies and due to their age Balzatar tortured each hero in the worst ways possible. To set an example of what happens when mortals try to defeat gods. For years hell has finally broke loose and many allies of Balzatar are promised power and much more. This is where your story begins and hopefully the end of the demon king's reign. My name is father Max and I am the priest of the great city that you all have been summoned to. Hopefully with my wisdom and your talents we can set our world back to where it was. Welcome to Edenboore City in the great continent of Elysian Fields.

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hello, and welcome to the site!

I'm about to go to bed, so I'll just say this - this is a very valid question, but you didn't really post it in the best place. Go to http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumd...-Edition-News-Rules-Homebrews-and-House-Rules , and re-ask your question :) (you might want to mention that you are re-posting after being suggested to do so, so it doesn't look like you are spamming)

quick advice:

New spells: this can be a lot of work, for not a lot of gain, fun wise.

Writing: You really need to pay more attention to *time*

For example:
Peace was known for 40 years which was long enough for our heroes to become old. A cult called Shtulba has risen and sacrificed innocent people to the altar of flames.
So here the change in verb tense leads the reader to believe that the rising of the cult is a recent event. And yet a lot more happened after that, so it's not recent. This loose usage of verb tenses is confusing to the reader.

For years hell has finally broke loose and many allies of Balzatar are promised power and much more.
. Here again the sentence is confusing. Hell breaking loose is an event. It's like a damn bursting, a wall being broken. But you say "for years"... which is puzzling.

Remove ads