D&D 5E Tomb of Annihilation recaps

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

My Friday group is three sessions into Tomb of Annihilation. We segued into it at 4th level after playing through The Sunless Citadel and The Forge of Fury from TftYP.

So far it has not been particularly deadly, but it's early days yet. After teleporting into Port Nyanzaru, they got the lay of the land and eventually hired Eku to be their guide. They canoed up the river to Camp Righteous, where they successfully acquired the alchemy jug. They'd befriended Undril Silvertusk along the way, so she helped them out at Camp Vengeance, allowing them to continue on to Mbala, where Nanny Pu'pu and her flesh golem proved to be no match for them.

They've now been to Orolunga and know they need to find Omu. I had Eku suggest they head east, stopping at the Heart of Ubtao to see if they can spot Omu from there; if not, they can press on to Kir Sabal and get the aarakocra to bestow upon them the power of flight. They liked that idea, so that's what we'll be doing.

If you want to read more about my group's adventures, you can read the full session recaps here: Tomb of Annihilation recaps.

Cheers!

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Hi all,

My Friday group is three sessions into Tomb of Annihilation. We segued into it at 4th level after playing through The Sunless Citadel and The Forge of Fury from TftYP.

So far it has not been particularly deadly, but it's early days yet. After teleporting into Port Nyanzaru, they got the lay of the land and eventually hired Eku to be their guide. They canoed up the river to Camp Righteous, where they successfully acquired the alchemy jug. They'd befriended Undril Silvertusk along the way, so she helped them out at Camp Vengeance, allowing them to continue on to Mbala, where Nanny Pu'pu and her flesh golem proved to be no match for them.

They've now been to Orolunga and know they need to find Omu. I had Eku suggest they head east, stopping at the Heart of Ubtao to see if they can spot Omu from there; if not, they can press on to Kir Sabal and get the aarakocra to bestow upon them the power of flight. They liked that idea, so that's what we'll be doing.

If you want to read more about my group's adventures, you can read the full session recaps here: Tomb of Annihilation recaps.

Cheers!

I have been reading through your recaps and thoroughly enjoying them. Thank you!

pukunui

Legend
I have been reading through your recaps and thoroughly enjoying them. Thank you!
Awesome! Thank you for letting me know! Sometimes they feel like a bit of a chore, but knowing that people are enjoying reading them makes it all worth it.

In case you hadn’t noticed, we had a near TPK in Omu. We did a sort of reboot, jumping about a month forward in-game and skipping over level 8 so we could go straight into the tomb itself with the PCs at level 9.

We are supposed to be playing again tonight but unfortunately it looks like I’d only have 2 out of 5 players, so we may have to postpone.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Awesome! Thank you for letting me know! Sometimes they feel like a bit of a chore, but knowing that people are enjoying reading them makes it all worth it.

In case you hadn’t noticed, we had a near TPK in Omu. We did a sort of reboot, jumping about a month forward in-game and skipping over level 8 so we could go straight into the tomb itself with the PCs at level 9.

We are supposed to be playing again tonight but unfortunately it looks like I’d only have 2 out of 5 players, so we may have to postpone.

I've noticed that you're running a very deadly game, which seems appropriate to the theme. I find it fascinating that Elvraema and Carn have somehow managed to stay alive from the beginning of the campaign, while at least one poor player seems to have lost a minimum of four characters with rhyming names. Is this a reflection on the level of experience of the players themselves, or is there some other factor at work? I'd love to know which players are attached to which characters, even if you referenced the players by pseudonym. I am assuming, for instance, that the player of the Tortle Druid just decided to switch characters, though this is purely conjecture on my part. I am also wondering what lessons you and the players have learned from all of these challenges.

Your writing style is excellent, and I keenly await the next installment. I have been thinking about running ToA myself and you have given me a lot of inspiration.

pukunui

Legend
I've noticed that you're running a very deadly game, which seems appropriate to the theme.
Interestingly enough, it didn't really get all that deadly until the group reached Omu.

I find it fascinating that Elvraema and Carn have somehow managed to stay alive from the beginning of the campaign
Technically they have both cheated death twice.

Elvraema technically died at the very start of the campaign. She was the first to descend into the ravine in The Sunless Citadel. I rolled Stealth for the giant rats on the landing and all of them beat her passive Perception, so they surprised her. I rolled two natural 20s and an 18. The damage was precisely enough to instakill her. Her player turned to me and said, with a shocked look on his face, "Now what?!"

It was virtually the very first thing that had happened in the campaign! I ruled that she could remain alive, albeit unconscious. I think I had the player spend his Inspiration for it. We only had three players/PCs during that first session, so it was a bit touch-and-go, but the other two managed to kill the rats and rescue Elvraema.

A similar thing happened to Carn during a later session: his player hadn't been able to join us for the first one or two sessions, so Carn ended up a prisoner of the goblins in the Sunless Citadel. The other PCs rescued him only for him to get killed by the white dragon wyrmling. Again, since it was the first session of the campaign for both player and PC, I ruled that Carn survived (possibly also via the spending of Inspiration).

Carn then also died trying to defeat the gladiators in Shagambi's tomb, as did Elvraema in the fight against the Red Wizards, but since their respective players were both absent on those occasions, I ruled that their deaths didn't stand.

while at least one poor player seems to have lost a minimum of four characters with rhyming names.
Yes. Miles was the first, and when he died, Niles came in. A fighter/wizard, he lasted all of 90 minutes in real time. I did give his player the option of continuing to play him, but he decided he wanted to make a new character that was a straight-up fighter. Thus Giles was born. He lasted a few sessions before perishing at the hands of the Red Wizards. The player decided he wanted to go back to playing a wizard, thus Ziles entered the picture.

Is this a reflection on the level of experience of the players themselves, or is there some other factor at work?
As you can see, there are a few factors at play here. The guy playing the PCs with the rhyming names is an old school gamer. Before joining my 5e campaign, he hadn't played since the 1e or 2e days. I think he's just having a bit of nostalgic fun with the rhyming.

I'd love to know which players are attached to which characters, even if you referenced the players by pseudonym. I am assuming, for instance, that the player of the Tortle Druid just decided to switch characters, though this is purely conjecture on my part. I am also wondering what lessons you and the players have learned from all of these challenges.
You're right about the tortle druid. Here's a breakdown of who's been playing whom:

Player A: Elvraema
Player B: Carn
Player C: Miles, Niles, Giles, Ziles
Player D: Nikolai, Armstrong, Ghoom-Ra, Gareth, Veronica, Hakkar
Player E: Max, Tobias, Gretchen

Player D gets bored of his characters rather quickly. He retired Nikolai after The Sunless Citadel and Armstrong after The Forge of Fury. He got bored with Ghoom-Ra as well and wanted to bring in Gareth instead. I arranged for Ghoom-Ra to disappear by falling into a seemingly bottomless pit after the player told me about a dream he'd had in which that had happened. When Veronica died, I gave him the opportunity to continue playing a clone of her, but he said the character wasn't playing as well as he'd hoped and wanted to try something different.

After the near-TPK, the group felt that they a) didn't have enough firepower (which is partly why Ziles exists and why Gretchen is part-sorcerer) and b) had too many ranged/roguey types (hence why Gretchen and Hakkar both have really high ACs/Constitutions and the Tough feat).

I gave Player E the option of playing a clone of both Max and Tobias, but he declined in both instances, although he says he may still take me up on the offer now that we're in the tomb itself. He was most attached to Max and was rather sad when he died. (As were we all really, as Max's crush on Elvraema often resulted in some fun RP.)

Your writing style is excellent, and I keenly await the next installment. I have been thinking about running ToA myself and you have given me a lot of inspiration.
Thank you! That is fantastic!

Luckily it looks like we'll be playing on Sunday instead of tonight, so all is not lost!

Last edited:

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
Thanks so much for the detailed break down. I really look forward to seeing how the group fares. One other thing I was wondering about is the extent to which your group is getting stumped by the various riddles and puzzles in ToA. Have you had to help them a lot, or have they been able to piece most of the clues together by themselves? Are you, for instance, letting them use Investigation checks to gather clues to help with puzzle solving, or are you making them work things through on their own? As an old school gamer, I am partial to the latter approach, but I have a hard time gauging how difficult the puzzles are for someone who has not read the module. What has been your experience?

pukunui

Legend
For the most part, they have not had too difficult a time with the puzzles. A few have stumped them, and I did allow for Investigation and/or offered some hints, but for the most part they’ve managed quite well.

It remains to be seen how well they’ll handle Acererak’s clues.

pukunui

Legend
A brief update: I've got a new player, which brings the total up to six. However, I don't expect to have more than 3-5 of them present at any given session.

The new guy is playing an eladrin champion fighter named Erethas. I gave him a few options for introducing the new PC to the group, and he went with the "trapped for centuries in a magical carving" option. I had the carving magically appear on the wall in the magic fountain room while the group was taking a rest there as well.

On a side note, so far the group is having a fairly easy time in the tomb. No one has died yet, which makes for a big change compared to when they were hunting for puzzle cubes in Omu. Still, it's early days yet, and some of the deadlier traps are still to come.

So far, they have found three of the trickster god spirits, and all three succeeded in inhabiting a different PC. The spirits they've found so far are Moa (who is inhabiting Gretchen), Obo'laka (who is inhabiting Hakkar, much to everyone's amusement), and Kubazan (who is inhabiting Elvraema).

EDIT: On a whim this weekend I went back and reread my past recaps for this campaign. Since they're all essentially first drafts, I resolved to work my way through them from the beginning, editing them for clarity and correcting any errors or omissions I come across, which is easier now that I am viewing them with fresher eyes. So far I've just done the four recaps detailing the party's adventures in the Sunless Citadel but I hope to eventually get through them all.

Last edited:

Remove ads