One-Liner NPCs

How much dialogue should the average NPC have?

• None. If it conveys information, it should be indirect.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One line, like Nintendo NPCs.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Several lines, like a Skyrim/Witcher NPC.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Unlimited. An NPC is a real person.

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Poll closed .
If my players develop an interest in npcs that I didn't have more plans than a 'one-liner' for, they get 'promoted' to 'real' npcs. For that purpose I always have a list of names ready. We're playing an RPG here, not a video game.

One of the great things ive learnt from dungeo world was "to leave blanks". Im running a campaign where some npcs i thought would play a part have caught no interest and otherrs who were mere flavourings have become major forces.

One for example was a witness to a cri me in the first session. Thats it. He's now become a crimelord and protector of the common people and a major political player in the key city of unknown motive.

If I'd writte out too much for him then none of that would have been possible

I agree with this poll. I think having great NPCs is almost as crucial as having great villains.

I dont always distinguish :)

Ive taken to writing a motive for every interesting npc that players come across. Between sessions i determije how each of the most ambitious npcs react to what the players have done.

Who becomes friend or foe depends on what choices the players have made, and if it hinders or helps their plans.

For convenience sake all random non-campaign important NPCs should die off screen from a drunk dragon landing on their head 5 minutes after they are done interacting with the players. That way a DM never has to remember they name, how they interacted with the players, or the impact the players may have had on the NPC.

Of course given time this fact will become apparent that the players are the angels of death and everyone should run screaming when they see the players to avoid interacting with them and thus spelling their own doom.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
One of the great things ive learnt from dungeo world was "to leave blanks".
I picked up on this while reading the DW guide someone posted earlier. It's a good technique, and especially important if you want the PCs to "write" just as much story as the GM does. It definitely saves you from writing too much...

If I'd writte out too much for him then none of that would have been possible
So, just one line would have been enough? ;)

Of course given time this fact will become apparent that the players are the angels of death and everyone should run screaming when they see the players to avoid interacting with them and thus spelling their own doom.
I sometimes get this impression from players anyway. There is a way to indirectly use your one-line NPCs, without risking too much PC conversation: you can tell the PCs what "chatter" they hear as they cross certain areas. Then you just pick out which lines A) the PCs are likely to hear on their way through, or B) that you want the PCs to hear. This can add some ambience to your scene, and you can give the PCs the option of engaging a specific one-liner NPC for more info if they choose.

Remove ads