D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

Severite

First Post
So, see here is the thing... to reach your conclusion you seem to want to hold that not only i ignored your other points about table rules, GM authority or respect etc and such in my response but then treat that ignoring of those as a challenge to them?

Now, please, BLOCK ME.

Pretty please?

With a cherry red beholder on top?

Why would I? You finally answered the question I asked three posts ago. That said, measuring one point of my post, which contained multiple points, based on other posters, to which I may not have read is a touch silly, don't you think? What I do think, is that you are indeed "spoiling" for a fight, while what I want is a discussion, you are not only super welcome to disagree with me, it is even helpful, as it gives me other perspectives.

As in, " your way is wrong!" is what I was reading, which is dandy, but instead of discussing why my way is wrong, or, could be made better, you instead continue with repeating "your way is wrong."

Now, you are under no real obligation to respond to this, or indeed, can freely block me if you wish.

I am confused, though, why you didn't just say the above, the first time I asked you to clarify. Or, even, "I don't like the method, your other reasons don't matter to me and I will not discuss them, and other posters have used your reason two as their only reason, and I am diametrically opposed to it."

To which I may have asked why you were opposed to it, but otherwise you have made your points clear.

Ah, well, thank you for your reply.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You'd said something like that on a failure where there was no time pressure they'd just succeed; to which my point in reply was that succeeding isn't a failure.
Ok, I see. What I’m saying is, failure when there is no pressure, such as time or other risk involved in the attempt, does not preclude the possibility of eventual success. Unless there is something stopping you from trying again, you will eventually be successful as long as you stick with it. I just narrate over that process and skip to the part where you succeed.

There's a big disconnect somewhere here. I think it's because you're stuck on allowing unlimited retries, which to me are an absolute non-starter.

I'm not deciding when a character (or player) gives up, I'm merely narrating the results of their best attempt (as set by the roll) to do whatever they're doing. Up to the player/character whether she gives up or not, but simply trying again will accomplish nothing as your roll has already determined the best you'll do without some significant change.
Ok, let me try to walk you through my thought process cause I agree we seem to be talking past each other somewhere.

I allow players to re-try failed actions. I do this for a variety of reasons. One of these reasons, as we discussed earlier, is that assuming a single roll represents the culmination of a character’s best efforts, possibly over many attempts, to be too abstract and disconnected from the fiction for my taste. I prefer each roll to represent a single action.

Now, most of the time, retries are largely self-limiting. Picking the lock on a door takes time, and every attempt you make to unlock it, the risk of encountering wandering monsters increases, or the evil ritual creeps a little closer to completion. Bashing a door down is noisy, and every time you attempt it, you risk attracting the attention of wandering monsters, or alerting the troll in the room you’re trying to break into of your presence. Casting a spell like knock to open the door costs a limited resource, usually spell slots and/or or expensive material components. This is something I really like about allowing retries - each attempt is a calculated risk/reward, which is a good thing because decision points are what make the game fun for me.

of course, there are some times when attempting a task doesn’t carry any risk. Maybe there are no wandering monsters and there’s no ticking clock. No pressure preventing you from taking all the time you need to pick that lock, making all the noise you need breaking that door down, or taking a long rest after casting a single knock spell. These situations don’t come up terribly often in my games, but they do come up, and in such situations, retries aren’t interesting. If there’s no risk or cost, then making the check isn’t decision point, it’s just “press A to continue” only you also have a certain percent chance that pressing A to continue won’t work, so you have to press it again.

Now, saying “you can only try once” is one way to resolve the situation in the above paragraph, but it’s not a satisfying option for me. It doesn’t make sense within the fiction for a roll of less than 20 to represent the character’s best attempt. If you roll a 7, that attempt was objectively only 35% of your maximum potential on that task. Now, you can justify that in the fiction by assuming there are other factors preventing the character from producing their best results, but this is again too abstract for me. I want to be able to say what factors are causing that issue. You could say that, for whatever reason, the task confounded the character and they gave up on the task, even though it was theoretically within their power to do. But I don’t like to tell players what their characters think. I leave it up to the players at what point their characters get too frustrated to continue, which in my experience means characters basically never get frustrated and give up. Understandably because we’re here to have fun and that’s not a fun outcome. I could say that this one roll represents a whole lot of attempts, and at some unspecified point, they get frustrated and give up, but that doesn’t really resolve the issue of me telling my players what their characters think, it just hides it behind an abstract number of attempts, and it runs into the afformentioned problem of abstracting multiple attempts into a single roll.

Another way to handle it might be to model the mounting frustration with a cumulative penalty for each successive roll. Each try gets a bit harder until eventually you can’t hit the DC because the penalty is too much to overcome even with a 20. That would circumvent my problem with the one-roll approaches abstractly representing a whole series of attempts with a single roll, but still it doesn’t actually fix the problem of telling the players their characters are getting frustrated; it just changes the mechanical representation of that DM-imposed frustration. On top of that, it doesn’t resolve the problem of retries being uninteresting without a risk or cost. There’s still nothing actually at stake and no decision point. You just try until you succeed or the penalty becomes too great.

So, in a no-stakes situation like the locked door with no monsters on the other side, in a place with no wandering monsters, and no ticking clock, I just let the action succeed, under the assumption that if there’s nothing in-universe preventing them from continuing to try until they get it, they do just that. Frankly, I’m not sure why I would even have put that locked door there in the first place if there wasn’t going to be any risk or cost to trying to get it open.

Which again gives them more information than they should be getting. Why not go through the motions of rolling, to keep them guessing?
Because I don’t want my games to be “going through the motions” and I don’t value “keeping them guessing” over keeping their decisions meaningful.

So in effect you don't allow your players to invent and then pursue their own red herrings?
Not so. If the players have it in their heads that there’s a secret door in this room, they can and probably will try all sorts of ways to look for it. As 5ekyu and I went on about for several pages earlier in the thread, knowing that there is no chance of finding a seam in the wall by dragging your blade across the mortar doesn’t really tell you there’s no secret door. All it tells you is that if there is a secret door, it either has no seam, or the seam cannot be found by dragging your knife across the mortar. Players who are convinced there’s a secret door to be found can still spend time pursuing that red herring. The difference is, that pursuit looks like describing actions and having the world respond to those actions in a believable way, instead of going down the Skill list trying to figure out what check that they haven’t already blown their one try with will give them the best chance of finding it. As well, when they walk away without finding a secret door, it’s because they are out of ideas for ways to look, not because they ran out of tries the DM allows them to make.

Sorry, I just can't get behind that.
That’s fine. I’m not here to convince you to switch to my way of doing things, just to discuss why I prefer it.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ah, no sir, I was not confusing you with another poster, but I did think you were disagreeing with my method, and was interested in teasing out your thoughts on a possible better way, or at least highlighting a potential mishap that I may not have noticed. So far our interactions have been positive, at least to my mind. Discussion, after all, is why I am on a message board.

Edit: Thank you for your response

You’re quite welcome.

I do disagree with parts of your method, but only in terms of thinking that insistence on sticking to that protocol at all times may be unnecessary, and that ignoring the roll even if it is what you would have called for anyway serves no purpose other than to “correct” behavior with negative reinforcement, which can come across as paternalistic. I think that is probably part of the source of your issue with the other poster. They seem to have strongly read that paternalistic mindset some DMs have toward players into your posts. I will say that I don’t think that you actually have that mindset.

Regardless of paternalistic mindsets or lack of same, to me it reaches beyond the authority of the DM to engage in negative reinforcement for behavioral correction, and I do beleive that punishing player actions with in game consequences is *very* bad DMing. Again, though, I don’t think you’ve said that you do so.

To me, it’s both easier and better to, in cases where there is a roll coming, to simply correct them on what roll they aren’t making, and tell them to add their appropriate modifier to the d20 roll they just made, rather than ignoring the roll and having them make a new one.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No argument, just as the choices of TRY THE DOOR or SKIP THE DOOR or USE DIPLOMACY or FIGHT or RUN all play their party.

The key is in these cases just like you describe, these are all DAD choices - the player choosing the trip, when, where etc... not the PLAYER skill being the determining element for the success failure of the individual steps.

i mean, really can you not see "player chooses which foe to attack first" as "DAD chooses to go to grandmas house now" and "character hits or misses with axe" as more "MOM driving skill vs bad turn"?

As always though, as an aside, its also good when PLAYERS also invoke that other element of character (other than player choice and build) which is the "person" by making decisions they would not normally AS A PLAYER see as wise but that their character would do anyway. (i am looking back at my own thief-acrobat "pole vault the enemy front line" move from decades ago when i say that. that led to a flurry of ouch-ouch-damn-ouch-crap-ouch-ouch-ouch noises before she could barely jump for her life.)

Player skill is what drives combat and every other aspect of the game. The dice introduce a random element, but player skill can often, even usually negate that random chance. If the party engages in good combat tactics, it takes really, really bad luck on the part of the dice(consistent very bad rolls) to lose the fight. If they engage in really bad tactics, it would take really good luck(consistent great rolls) to win the fight. Even something like opening a locked door doesn't hinge on one roll when you have players with good skill. They will have multiple ideas such that it would be very unlikely to fail to open the door.

Player skill is far more important than the die rolling is.

5ekyu

Hero
Player skill is what drives combat and every other aspect of the game. The dice introduce a random element, but player skill can often, even usually negate that random chance. If the party engages in good combat tactics, it takes really, really bad luck on the part of the dice(consistent very bad rolls) to lose the fight. If they engage in really bad tactics, it would take really good luck(consistent great rolls) to win the fight. Even something like opening a locked door doesn't hinge on one roll when you have players with good skill. They will have multiple ideas such that it would be very unlikely to fail to open the door.

Player skill is far more important than the die rolling is.
We agree.

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

This shows a who different attitude to dungeon delving, essentially reducing the 'exploration' pillar of gaming to little more than an afterthought.
actually what I was describing was an entire next 'room' 'location' 'encounter' that was nothing but exploration... what you instead was looking at was a short hand to save time.

What would have if the door handle was trapped?
I would have checked passive perception, seen if cheching the lock would trigger the trap, and then based on 2 new bits of info done things different...

Or there was a spider above the door?
as above... see what the character PP was...so on.

Or a crossbow lined up to trigger when a tripwire is touched?
as above...

Which way does the door open?
I normally only note that when it matters, but if a PC asked I would make up an answer on the spot.

It's quite a modern phenomenon,
yup one dateing back to 1979 when jon started playing (the oldest member of group but he took years off in middle missing almost all of 2e and part of 3e so not the most experienced) and one that has seen almost constant use by kurt who started in the late 80's with his uncle in 1e...but he was tought by his uncle who was similar that was playing for years before...

edit: I have been playing since 1995, and running since 1996, so that alone is 20+ years. so it's as 'modern' as roleplaying is. depending on if you count from Jon, Kurt, Kurts Uncle or me, this is between 21-38 years...

the idea of charging from room to room gung ho, with little care for the environment of the dungeon.
please go back and reread my description of the environment...we care a greatdeal.

The group I DM for were initially of that leaning, and it has taken a many many hours of play (and character deaths) to get them to slow down and approach everything in a more circumspect manner.
yes, I have had players come in over the years who feel this way...after a session or two they normally relax a bit though.
Now when faced by a door, the passage of event is more akin to:

(note I make any applicable rolls, so the players never know for sure whether they heard nothing because there was nothing to hear, or simply due to a bad roll)
- "I listen at the door, can I hear anything?"
- "I check the handle for traps"
- "I try the handle and give the door a little push or pull to see if it is locked"
- "I open the door a few inches, and using my infra/dark vision I carefully peer inside, what do I see"
everydoor? everytime?

And only then, after they believe it is safe to enter, do they move onwards.
so in my example they would take all that time for an empty room?
This whole process actually helps them though - they have a better chance of surprising any occupants, they have very little chance of being surprised themselves, they get catch out by fewer traps, they are often able to observe any occupants and decide upon fight or flight before committing to fight. Once again - it gives the party more control of the course of their adventuring.
funny thing. My way takes less time, and they are rarely surprised...and even manage to surprise some enemies... I also give the party much more control of there adventureing then you give me credit for...

This is the game I much prefer to both run and play.
and it sounds to me like a game I described up thread where 17 days of travel took more than 1 full game session even though we had 0 encounters... almost the whole game session was "Day 1 tell me marching order, tell me what weapons you have prepped" "Night one how do you set camp and who is on rotation" then day 2 repeat... and when we as players asked if he could just assume we do the same thing every day and night until it matters, he said no...

today that DM is a different guy and loves my games... where the 17 days of travel would take about 5 minutes...unless something happened intresting

Ok sure thats great and how many times in a session of dungeons and doors does that sequence get repeated and does it add as much the tenth time as the sixth in a night?

The position expoused by that post **as i read it** about going on to the description of the next room was not a position of "reckless wanderer without a clue PLAYERS" but of "competent and capable adventurers" where the GM did not insist they go thru the same lather-rinse- repeat at the table with every door in the dungeon every time out of fear that a not stated action phrase by the PLAYER would be read as lack of caution by their supposedly seasoned character.

that is to say the fact that the players and Gm did not explicitly state they went thru reasonable precautions does not translate into their characters not taking reasonable precautions any more than them not describing their characters going to the bathroom five times a day means their characters are straining at the seams.

I myself remember the days of long multi- page door protocols written up in like word star and printed out on dot matrix printers so the players could either pull it out as checklist to follow or use it as their "we do protocol seven" to save time... All because they had been taught by their GM the knowledge of surviving door traps had to be PLAYER knowledge not CHARACTER knowledge and that the actual TRAP was there to catch the PLAYERS in a mistake, not their CHARACTERS.

i sometimes describe to new roleplayers in my games the difference between PLAYER and CHARACTER with a scene from that great classic somg Over the River.

DAD Hey guys we are going to grandmas house. We leave in 5m. Grab your stuff. Moms driving? I will navigate.

Now as i describe it DAD is the player and MOM is the character. Its mom's skill at driving that will be called into question whenever problems arise while Dad will always chart the direction and can at anytime step in and TAKE THE WHEEL (thru minute detail about the how normally left to mom.)

But I wont be asking Dad about turning on her turn signal or slowing for a caution light or slowing for a school zone, thats assumed to be MOM's responsibility and her competence is show on her character sheet.
you got it...

Last edited:

JonnyP71

Explorer
Just a few quick replies to some of the points, as it's very clear we come from opposing ends of the gaming spectrum.

Regarding Passive Perception - I never, ever, ever allow that to detect 'small' traps, such as needles, switches, etc. For those to be found the PC must Investigate the device and specifically state they are looking for traps.

Should they be cautious about empty rooms? Of course they should - as how were they to know it is empty?

For outdoor travelling, it depends on the environment - I handwave days away in civilised lands, or areas that the party have travelled through frequently before. But in dungeons? No. Though I will allow a quick return to rooms that are nearby, eg "Let's go back to the chapel we found an hour ago, and check out that door behind the altar"

5ekyu

Hero
Just a few quick replies to some of the points, as it's very clear we come from opposing ends of the gaming spectrum.

Regarding Passive Perception - I never, ever, ever allow that to detect 'small' traps, such as needles, switches, etc. For those to be found the PC must Investigate the device and specifically state they are looking for traps.

Should they be cautious about empty rooms? Of course they should - as how were they to know it is empty?

For outdoor travelling, it depends on the environment - I handwave days away in civilised lands, or areas that the party have travelled through frequently before. But in dungeons? No. Though I will allow a quick return to rooms that are nearby, eg "Let's go back to the chapel we found an hour ago, and check out that door behind the altar"

A KEY difference between us RE the bold is who is "they" referenced in that sentence and how much screentime does that get?

the scene as described by GMfor... said nothing at all about were the CHARACTERS being cautious at every door, it simply showed a different way pf dividing ON_SCREEN vs OFF_CAMERA activities.

Ever watch MST3K? i loved a send up they did for some old 60s movie about yeti which it seemed showed "characters walking in a spiral uphill by a fern" at least 50 times or more to represent climbing the mountain to get to the "yeti eats you" phase. it ate up actually quite a bit of the run time of the film. Whether it is for movies, books, video games or other forms of storytelling, every single media shows and uses ON_SCREEN vs OFF_CAMERA editing of content as a thing. Sometimes it is integral to the story and drama.

just because something like "door protocol 7" is not shown in play at the table by the PLAYERS at every door does not mean the CHARACTERS necessarily did not act just as cautiously at those doors.

So its nothing about "should the characters be cautious at..." in any way. it is about "how we edit our on-screen time".

guachi

Hero

Or put another way, if your player does not know for your game and playing his character in it whether or not he described a DEX based action/approach or an INT based action/approach, the core problem you have that needs dealing with is much larger than the issue of who calls the roll.

As soon as you (DM) call for the ability check he'll know precisely what ability check you believe his approach described.

"I attempt swim the long distance to shore from the wrecked boat"
"Okay. Make an Athletics (Con) check"

"We've found the secret door. Now I try to determine how to open it. I'll search along the wall and nearby to find a mechanism"
"Okay. Make an Investigation (Int) check"

Now, if you're the kind of DM who believes some rolls should be secret then the player might not know what ability and tool/skill was being used unless certain activities always use the same ability/skill (like searching for a secret door).

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
As soon as you (DM) call for the ability check he'll know precisely what ability check you believe his approach described.

"I attempt swim the long distance to shore from the wrecked boat"
"Okay. Make an Athletics (Con) check"

"We've found the secret door. Now I try to determine how to open it. I'll search along the wall and nearby to a mechanism"
"Okay. Make an Investigation (Int) check"

Now, if you're the kind of DM who believes some rolls should be secret then the player might not know what ability and tool/skill was being used unless certain activities always use the same ability/skill (like searching for a secret door).

Well, yes, after a GM tells you the ability you will know - no dispute there. that was never in doubt but thanks for pointing that out, I am sure some may have not been aware of that once the Gm says CON or INT the player would know that was the ability.

As for so-called hidden rolls, obviously a Gm can go behind a screen and do whatever they want and announce whatever they want... as long as the players allow that kind of thing. But the point i was making is (and you last little bit seems to be in total agreement with me) with a body of experience playing together and a consistent campaign approach the player should actually clearly know (and really does need to know) how his "action as described" and "the ability used" match up. DEX or INT should not be some great mystery behind the screen as far as "what i describe my character as doing" and "which ability is rolled" for most any case if i was required earlier to choose values for or assign scores to abilities and skills and the like when i built my character. Even if it was all random chargen, if i am as a player to make reasonable decisions for my CHARACTER i really ought to be in a game where i feel i can confidently describe an INT approach vs a DEX approach.

otherwise, it would seem like its not me running a character so much as me giving the Gm opportunities for fiat and hoping the results are fun.

I, as a GM, would feel very much that i was failing in my goal of running a game that makes sense to my players if it was in any way shape or form common (heck even uncommon maybe rare) that my player's did not feel they knew that a given described action would use a given ability when mechanics were called for (with exception of course for some cases for brand new players or a brand new and unique setting, though even then not so much. After all, they did chargen and had to have some basis of understanding to make those choices.)

Remove ads