D&D 5E D&D movie, take note...

When I saw the trailer for the new Jumanji movie I thought this is exactly the kind of thing that should be done for the upcoming D&D movie.

This review on Mashable explains why it works so well: 'Jumanji' is a great video game movie that's not actually based on a video game. Let’s note that the Warcraft movie is not mentioned favorably...

We’ll have to see how well it does in the box office...

In my youtube channel (heart of the story we tell) I talk about stories and how and why we tell them Every once in a while I pitch my own 'fan fics' and I just talked about a D&D series like a mix of Jumanji and stranger things...but with the D&D cartoon thrown in. if you want check it out. I don't often get to mix my rpg hobby with the channel (I did use some larp experience when I reviewed West World) so I'm proud of my geeky video.

[video=youtube_share;3H89w5OJsJU]https://youtu.be/3H89w5OJsJU[/video]

S

Sunseeker

Well sure because the game of Jumanji is more a story about how the characters deal with their real-life problems and come to realize that their lives really aren't so bad and that dealing with all these dangerous things helps them "grow up".

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Well sure because the game of Jumanji is more a story about how the characters deal with their real-life problems and come to realize that their lives really aren't so bad and that dealing with all these dangerous things helps them "grow up".

And you don’t think that applies to D&D? How many articles have there been espousing the real-life benefits from playing D&D?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
In my youtube channel (heart of the story we tell) I talk about stories and how and why we tell them Every once in a while I pitch my own 'fan fics' and I just talked about a D&D series like a mix of Jumanji and stranger things...but with the D&D cartoon thrown in. if you want check it out. I don't often get to mix my rpg hobby with the channel (I did use some larp experience when I reviewed West World) so I'm proud of my geeky video.

[video=youtube_share;3H89w5OJsJU]https://youtu.be/3H89w5OJsJU[/video]

I like your ideas in this, my only disagreement is the animated part. I would go live action personally :) but hey we’re just spitballing :)

MarkB

Legend
There are plenty of other stories out there that take this approach. The Gamers comes quickly to mind, and the "story of players and the MMO characters they play" genre is very popular in anime.

It's just not what I'd be looking for in a D&D movie. I want something that really brings a D&D setting to life an immerses me in the sort of epic tale we aspire to participate in when playing. Not something that jogs me out of that world by constantly reminding me that we're watching actors pretending to be kids pretending to be heroes.

It's not impossible that something like that could be pulled off well, in a way that does justice to both the story of the players and their characters. But I think it would be a more challenging task than simply making a good fantasy movie in a D&D setting.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I am not a fan of this style of D&D movie or Netflix series.

I would prefer the movie or series be a conversion of the story told by the adventures converted to a different media (film or to) in the same way that Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones is a conversion of the story told by books converted to a different media.

Just because the previous movies have sucked doesn't mean all such attempts will suck. There are plenty of books & comic book stories converted to film or tv that suck - but there are plenty that don't.

I think the story of The War of the Lance would be a fine TV series. That a movie that used the Ravenloft or Desert of Desolation modules as inspiration could be done. For mine the advantage that gaming has is that you don't have to worry about if the audience has empathy with the characters - of course they do - they are playing the characters. So any movie has to work on empathic characters. Also a D&D game has lots of fun stuff that is neither about the characters or the story (exploring 15 room dungeon, lengthy fights followed by more lengthy fights). These need to disappear in a movie, but I think that's obvious.

Anyway as I say I don't want to revisit the D&D cartoon or a version of Neverending Story but with a game. I want a movie that is about a story that I could see myself playing through.

S

Sunseeker

And you don’t think that applies to D&D? How many articles have there been espousing the real-life benefits from playing D&D?

I don't think that's what they've been making D&D movies about.

I like your ideas in this, my only disagreement is the animated part. I would go live action personally :) but hey we’re just spitballing :)

I was thinking to keep the cost down, special effects for dragons, magic, and everything else can get pricey...but animated is way cheaper.

Remove ads