Designing RPG Adventures With the Players And Not the GM In Mind, Part One

One of the first rules they teach you in those pesky freshman-year composition courses is "know your audience." Before you sit down to write a text, consider who's going to be reading it and plan accordingly. When it comes to tabletop role-playing games, I've always considered the game master to be the primary audience of published adventures. Game masters are far more likely than players to read the text of an adventure, so why wouldn't a designer write with the game master in mind?

One of the first rules they teach you in those pesky freshman-year composition courses is "know your audience." Before you sit down to write a text, consider who's going to be reading it and plan accordingly. When it comes to tabletop role-playing games, I've always considered the game master to be the primary audience of published adventures. Game masters are far more likely than players to read the text of an adventure, so why wouldn't a designer write with the game master in mind?

Because the peculiar genre of tabletop role-playing adventures draws a key distinction between the game master who reads the adventure and the audience of players who probably won't.

Joseph Goodman, the tabletop designer who runs Goodman Games, took a look at this distinction in a fascinating essay titled "A Publisher's Perspective On Adventure Modules That Don't Suck." The piece appears in a collection of over 20 such essays called How To Write Adventure Modules That Don't Suck, an expanded edition of which was published earlier this year from Goodman Games. The collection features essays brimming with game master advice and imaginative encounters ready to drop into virtually any fantasy role-playing game. There's even an essay on designing convincing alien races for science fiction settings. In this first part of the look at this book, and how it can impact your adventure creation, let's focus on Goodman's entry about what he looks for in high-quality adventure design.

Early in the essay, Goodman makes a point that hadn't occurred to me before, at least not in the direct way he words it. "First and foremost," Goodman writes, "a budding adventure author needs to keep one very important thing in mind: Your audience is playing, not reading."

It's fair to say that one sentence shifted my entire perspective on published RPG adventures. I'd always imagined that published adventures should take a game-master-first approach. Goodman, on the other hand, says the first goal of any adventure should be to "give the players a fun time." If I'd been asked what the primary objective of a published adventure should be before reading Goodman's essay, I would have said something like, "Provide the game master with the tools and instructions he or she needs to give the players a fun time." The difference is subtle, but the "players-as-primary-audience" paradigm should color every step of the design process, from the conception of the adventure onward.

What does that mean? For starters, Goodman recommends that adventure designers playtest their ideas at least twice before sitting down to write the final product, first with a group of players the designer knows personally and again with a group the designer doesn't know. Only if both playtest groups had fun should a designer start putting pen to paper, according to Goodman.

He also recommends that adventure designers thoroughly consider the strengths and weaknesses of their chosen system before writing. A fun adventure is one that plays to the strengths of the system being used, while avoiding its weaknesses or blind spots. Once a designer has developed the adventure in enough depth that it delivers a fun experience that plays to the strengths of its system, then (and only then) does Goodman recommend the designer start writing text meant for other game masters to use.

I virtually always take on the role of game master, and I used to judge published adventures from that perspective. If the game master can grasp the material easily, I thought, it would be likely that player fun would follow. Goodman's essay inspired me to start thinking about written adventures on two different axes, the more important of which focuses on what the players need rather than what the game master needs. Adventures that score well on the player-needs axis should feature a variety of challenges that make good use of the mechanics of the chosen system, and that they all link together to tell a coherent story. Adventures that score well on the game-master axis should present all those qualities through clear and concise text and illustrations that allow the game master to bring the adventure to life at the table with minimal fuss. It's a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation with a twist: which group should an adventure writer consider first, the game master or the play group?

It could be possible that an adventure would score well on one axis, while doing poorly on another. For instance, if you, as the game master, found an adventure module with well-written and polished text that conveys only dull ideas. Or, on the other hand, maybe some adventures showcase imaginative encounters that get lost in poorly written text or confusing organization. I suspect that the two axes aren't as mutually exclusive as they would seem to be. My hunch would be that an adventure can start out with fun concepts for players, but that it will also provide value for game masters as well.

So are there famous adventure modules that serve game masters well but lose sight of the needs of players, who are ultimately the true audience for a role playing game? What adventure modules do the best job of striking the balance of providing high-quality material for both the reader and the audience?

​contributed by Fred Love

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I long ago found it true that some modules play better than they read (a lot of Judges' Guild stuff is like this) while others read better than they play.

Agree with this.

But, going back to the premise really of the title of this article...things like modules exist to make the DMs life easier. Thats the only reason. There is no other reason.

A good module may take some work, but it should be less work then otherwise, or the DM gets something else out of it. And a bad module may be easy, but of course the DM probably does not need that module for an easy but only so so session, they can probably just wing that so-so session on their own.

If the DMs life is hard, including from all advice out their that tell DMs to do more work, then there will be less DMing and less gaming.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Nowdadays,modules also exist for a common experience among the players (and GMs). I don't need to run pre-made stuff, I have more than enough ideas of my own. But comparing how your players did vs other GM's players, and my friends and me vs another groupis fun, and it is also fun to first play and then run something for the same reason. That also goes for old adventures.

S

Sunseeker

No article to reference, article in question sold in book with other DMing advice...well..okay then, let me just respond to the concept then.

Well yeah DUH you need to know your audience, but I think tailoring campaigns for specific groups is foolish. It's either A: going to be an unmarketable product because it's literally designed to cater to the 5 people you game with, or B: never going to be run with any other people.

Knowing your target audience is good in a general sense. Are you aiming for people who want action and adventure? Politics and intrigue? Horror and fright? A good laugh?

pemerton

Legend
modules exist to make the DMs life easier. Thats the only reason. There is no other reason.
I don't really agree with this.

I don't find refereeing particularly hard - I don't normally have trouble making rules calls, deciding what my NPCs and monsters do, adjudicating action resolution, etc.

What I want from a module is interesting story elements - NPCs, backstory, possible situations, etc - plus maps (I don't really enjoy doing maps). The point of those elements isn't to make my life easier (except maybe the maps). It's to make the game better. And that's about the players as much as the rGM.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024

I don't find refereeing particularly hard - I don't normally have trouble making rules calls, deciding what my NPCs and monsters do, adjudicating action resolution, etc.

What I want from a module is interesting story elements - NPCs, backstory, possible situations, etc - plus maps (I don't really enjoy doing maps). The point of those elements isn't to make my life easier (except maybe the maps). It's to make the game better. And that's about the players as much as the rGM.

Semantics. In theory you could create those story elements, but you get them from the module.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

5ekyu

Hero
So as a theory and cpncept, is it actually possible to write a module FOR players in a more direct sense - with the expectation that players buy a product and the GM still runs a game?

One key to the structure would be say a series of sections that identify the modulecelements from different perspectives, each getting parts of the whole, each getting incomplete info etc.

For example imagine some newly available island where each race has different lore, each describing linked but different elements. Naybe the dwarves have info on the underground palace, the elves the woodland cities, etc and each has "specs" including muktiple versions of some about denizens and history.

The players could each buy one product and read their sections etc and then the gm really builds the scenario by choosing which pieces parts and options actually turn out to be true, this time.

Has this been tried?

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Happens every now and then, when we make custom worlds. Which mostly means players buy stuff from different generic 3pp sources.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules

Though NPC and monster actions and reactions could also be baked into a module, should it go in to such a level of detail (some do, particularly for the BBEG).

The point may not to be to make your life easier but the intention is, I think, usually to make the life of the typical DM easier via inclusion of these elements.

In my own case the maps, monsters, NPCs, and room descriptions make my life easier about 99%* of the time as that work is done for me. The included backstory makes my life more difficult most of the time, as I almost always have to strip it away so I can replace it with my own. But the end result is still less work for me overall, most of the time.

* - the other 1% is due to major errors, typos, missing rooms, and so forth.

Lanefan

fredlove

First Post
So as a theory and cpncept, is it actually possible to write a module FOR players in a more direct sense - with the expectation that players buy a product and the GM still runs a game?

One key to the structure would be say a series of sections that identify the modulecelements from different perspectives, each getting parts of the whole, each getting incomplete info etc.

For example imagine some newly available island where each race has different lore, each describing linked but different elements. Naybe the dwarves have info on the underground palace, the elves the woodland cities, etc and each has "specs" including muktiple versions of some about denizens and history.

The players could each buy one product and read their sections etc and then the gm really builds the scenario by choosing which pieces parts and options actually turn out to be true, this time.

Has this been tried?

Sent from my VS995 using EN World mobile app

You raise a lot of questions that I've been asking myself of late. Can we change the conventions of the genre in a way that serves players and game masters better? I've seen adventure modules that includes handouts meant to be read by players, but they're never very lengthy and not usually of central importance to the game. My gut tells me most players probably don't want to have to do a lot of reading before they sit down to take part in an adventure -- otherwise they'd probably be game masters themselves!

But my gut also tells me there's a better way to disseminate adventures that publishing texts that only a quarter of the audience actual reads. If I could figure out what that better way is, I could stand to make literally dozens of dollars! :)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads