D&D 5E Help with a were-creature bitten PC

Sloblock

Explorer
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Hello all[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Another day another Curse of Strahd question. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So one of the characters was bitten in the werewolf den by a werebear ( I popped a couple in to make sure the encounter wasn’t too much of a breeze for level 8 folks ). [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Anyway, I now have a conundrum around how to play this. Next session is the night of the full moon. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I was going to hand wave the evening and have him wake up somewhere else after eating a local. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Does anyone have any good were-creature stuff they have used in CoS or other settings ?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Help as always is appreciated[/FONT][/FONT]

Perhaps change it up and have him transform in front of the other PCs. His first time might be long and traumatic (see American Werewolf in London). Insinuate that the player has been possessed during the early stage and it becomes clear right at the end what has happened. If the other players don't kill/incapacitate the player then he attacks them (if not being badly injured) or runs away and commits mayhem without any control or memory of doing so.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
There's eating a local, sure. But the real clout comes from the unknown, the implied violence and the consequences that begin to develop while the character is desperately trying to catch up with what the hell happened last night...

For example, its pretty standard to have said infected NPC wake up covered in blood with a foul taste in their mouth and... is that a finger?

Then, if they're in the wilds, have farmers leading a small hunting party burst into the camp looking for, 'the beast', that mangled their cattle last night. They're shouting, they're armed, they want answers. HAVE YOU SEEN THE BEAST?! WHY ARE YOU HERE? IS THAT.. BLOOD?

Escalation is a certain, drama ensures.

And if they're in a tavern, having them wake to the screams of towns folks who have discovered the mulchy remains of their cattle and kin. Of course, the tavern room is covered in blood and there are all the furniture is smashed. And there's already a knocking at the door inquiring to the nature of the noise last night and the bloody footprints..

Point being - imagine/remember when you've woken to the sound of someone bashing at your door. You have the worst hangover of your life, you're covered in blood and are those cops outside? And why are you holding a ...foot*?

The sense of desperately trying to piece together the pieces of a horrible puzzle while the situation spirals out of control. If you can get that nailed, your players are in for a wild ride.

*..we've all been there.

Sloblock

Explorer
Then, if they're in the wilds, have farmers leading a small hunting party burst into the camp looking for, 'the beast', that mangled their cattle last night. They're shouting, they're armed, they want answers. HAVE YOU SEEN THE BEAST?! WHY ARE YOU HERE? IS THAT.. BLOOD?

Escalation is a certain, drama ensures.

And if they're in a tavern, having them wake to the screams of towns folks who have discovered the mulchy remains of their cattle and kin. Of course, the tavern room is covered in blood and there are all the furniture is smashed. And there's already a knocking at the door inquiring to the nature of the noise last night and the bloody footprints..

Point being - imagine/remember when you've woken to the sound of someone bashing at your door. You have the worst hangover of your life, you're covered in blood and are those cops outside?

This sounds great a way to pick up the transformation, many many thanks for this.

I can now see a way forward that suits the player too

Rhenny

Adventurer
When Chris Perkins was running his Dice, Camera, Action game, he had the PCs experience the PC's transformation, and restrain her. Later, they weren't as lucky and she escaped for a night. Eventually they found her all bloody and nearby they found a cave with the carnage of some dead child or something. The group assumed that the PC was the culprit, but later he revealed another werewolf that was actually responsible. The PC werewolf was so relieved and the quickly tried to find a way to get rid of her curse.

TarragonVix

Villager
My guy got turned by a wererat. I didn't know it. The DM played it more like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. The wererat was as smart & sneaky as me. He cleaned up before changing back into me. We just thought we had an anonymous ally helping us while we slept. He would leave us notes for us to find; that kind of thing. We knew the unseen ally was a bad guy but we thought the enemy of our enemy was helping us. Technically we were all behind enemy lines at the time so it made sense. Trying to find out which NPC it was was fun. Then the big reveal had us all floored. Especially me! After we escaped, he turned on us big time. He tried to frame the others for murder or inform on us or try to ruin our attempts to cure me. There was no carnage or combat really with that storyline but it sure was fun!

Remove ads