D&D 5E What does "murderhobo" mean to you?

What's a Murderhobo to you?

• Powerful adventurers who bully commoners

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • Homeless adventurers who kill orcs and take their stuff

Votes: 154 62.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • I've never heard the term before

Votes: 6 2.4%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I also don’t consider murderhobo the default mode of dnd.

To me, the default mode is adventurers trying to help people, explore lost ruins, and gain fame and fortune, but has nothing to do with lazily using violence as the default response to any situation.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I also don’t consider murderhobo the default mode of dnd.

To me, the default mode is adventurers trying to help people, explore lost ruins, and gain fame and fortune, but has nothing to do with lazily using violence as the default response to any situation.

But are they hobos?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But are they hobos?

Generally not in my group’s games.

They travel, certainly, but a travelled with money to sleep in a clean room in town, and supplies to camp reasonably comfortably when not near town, isn’t a “hobo” by any reasonable definition, IMO.

Wiseblood

Adventurer
1&2 combined. A group who think very simplistically - everything in the game is just a bag of hitpoints to be murdered and looted.[/QUOTE

This I might change to the definition below.

Murderhobo(n); PCs killing for loot, xp or fun instead of plot or character motivation.

Murderhobos are ruthless and may take prisoners for enhanced interrogation but will:

A) Usually execute them.
B) Put them in situations that are likely to result in their death.
C) Spare their lives only if the reward is substantial enough to warrant the inconvenience of mercy.

It's root words only hint at it's meaning. Murder is used instead of killer only because it is catchy and has more sinister connotations. Hobo is used because they usually carry all of their belongings with them on their person.

Last edited:

Cyrinishad

Explorer
1&2 combined. A group who think very simplistically - everything in the game is just a bag of hitpoints to be murdered and looted.[/QUOTE

This I might change to the definition below.

Murderhobo(n); PCs killing for loot, xp or fun instead of plot or character motivation.

Murderhobos are ruthless and may take prisoners for enhanced interrogation but will:

A) Usually execute them.
B) Put them in situations that are likely to result in their death.
C) Spare their lives only if the reward is substantial enough to warrant the inconvenience of mercy.

It's root words only hint at it's meaning. Murder is used instead of killer only because it is catchy and has more sinister connotations. Hobo is used because they usually carry all of their belongings with them on their person.

Wow... Your definition of "Murderhobo" is far more comprehensively Evil in scope, than a simple Homeless Murderer... Thank you for validating my perspective.

I'd be curious to see a simple "Yes/No" poll about whether or not "Murderhobos" are Evil... Cyric would be amused if people can no longer comprehend what is and is not Evil...

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
When I think of hobos, I think of trains. Thus, murderhobos are Eberron exclusive (at least in published settings).
"Strangers, united by unfortunate circumstance, are huddled in a boxcar on the lightning rail when the train is suddenly hijacked" seems like an excellent starting point for an adventure.

All kidding aside, I am genuinely surprised at the number of people who think the term "murderhobos", as applied to D&D, is pejorative or critical of either the characters or the players.

I have always considered it to fall somewhere between mildly satirical and fondly affectionate.

Celebrim

Legend
Generally not in my group’s games.

They travel, certainly, but a travelled with money to sleep in a clean room in town, and supplies to camp reasonably comfortably when not near town, isn’t a “hobo” by any reasonable definition, IMO.

I would add that my PC adventurers are usually of fairly high social status or are presumed by strangers to be of fairly high social status and are treated accordingly.

Clerics in my game often attain or encouraged to attain high rank within their priesthood, and high ranking priests are treated as corresponding levels of nobility. Indeed, any full priest (normally attainable by any 3rd level cleric) is accorded the same respect you'd accord a knight, and will be addressed as 'Your Worship' or 'Your Reverence' by commoners or as 'Mother' or 'Father' by pious laity. This is the living representative of a deity; often with sway over things like how well your crops grow, or whether you'll have good weather, and so forth. Why in the heck would they look at themselves or be looked at as hobos? Even deities that encourage their followers to live like hobos, the public will treat them differently than hobos of the non-holy sort.

Wizards are by right addressed 'Your Potency' and have certain rights accorded to them (such as privacy, and immunity to certain taxes such as tolls).

Many PC's often earn titles in their own rights, so that my party contains "Sir Gareth Gorenthar, Lord of Quindici, Knight of Amalteen, and Templar Captain of Aravar". He has the right to bear arms and dispense the Justice of Our Benevolent Despot.

Hobos by contrast have low social status and can expect trouble from the authorities. My PC's can expect to be accorded honors.

But if you want to get the PCs to act like murderhobos, then have every NPC in authority treat them like murderhobos or presumptive murderhobos whether they deserve it or not. Have adventures where they save the town or the world or whatever, and then are framed for some crime on scant evidence and are suddenly irrationally treated as known criminals. Have them walk into taverns carrying small arsenals and have random tough guys try to bully them. Have every single magistrate out there be corrupt and incompetent and unwilling to offer even help that would cost them nothing. Don't allow the PC's to make allies, and have anyone that they show mercy to ruthlessly stab them in the back at the earliest opportunity. Do the Skyrim thing where bandits insanely attack obviously well armed killers. And so forth. Sooner or later, you'll end up with murderhobos.

Then you have the player show up in my campaign and I have to unlearn them from the habits and expectations you taught them.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
That's it. My next character will be a dwarf fighter named Oboh Red-Rum. His home was destroyed by drow, and his family slaughtered. He vows revenge, etc., etc.

Remove ads