One on One Character building with DM

So I'm about to do a Session 0 soon with my intended friends who
will play this first epic adventure of mine. But my question concerns
after Session 0:

As a New Hatchling DM, I am totally not in the flow yet but excited
to be. Is it possible to go on One person adventures to build up
character experience and levels leading up to the campaign?

Obviously I have to spend time with each person and make sort
of a back story adventure for them but at least its like practice right?

What do you guys think?

Feedback is totally appreciated. :D

mellored

Legend
If you have the time (and not when eveyone is sitting around waiting), it sounds like a good idea.

I suggest at the end of each solo adventure, they all get captured.
Then they all wake up together in the same cell, ready to be sacrificed to an evil God or something. They then need to escape (possible stealing a special item needed for the ritual, or are helped by some ex-cult member who escapes with them), run from the cult, protecting the item/gut, until they get strong enough to come back and defeat it. Though plenty of unrelated non-cult side missions on the way that they get to go towards instead or run away from. Such as kobolds attacking a town. And the cult only shows up occasionally.

That gives you something to hold the overall story together.

Also, if there are times where a player goes solo, give other players some NPCs to play. Like letting someone play a shop keeper.

Jsin

First Post
I did this with my group about 7 years ago. I had been friends with the guys in the group for several years before the campaign and I could anticipate their actions with made it even better. I played them solo until level 3 and then they started to run into each other in various ways. This was actually part of a large campaign that I was planning with another DM where my guys who were all good alignment were completing quests that affecting the other DMs group who were evil alignment, and vis versa. In the end the two groups had to meet and face each other for control of the realm.

This is not something I would recommend unless you are well versed in the rules and know how to direct your players in the path you want them to travel.

I know that when creating a PC, one can make them at whatever level you want, as there are tables within the various editions about how much treasure/magic items one should have at those levels.

If they are newbie players, having a small solo adventure to get used to the rules, dice, creating ones PC`s personality, etc. is a good idea.

I recall how without that introductory solo adventure, when we have a newbie joining our group, the first few sessions they were more like an observer, trying to digest all that is happening, with plenty of times a fellow player or DM having to ask the player to please rolling `this dice`, etc.

But once that is over, they were more than happy to fully contribute.

So having a intro.solo adventure, if one has the time, is a great idea.

Great Thank you! Will have to try it and do it. ^_^

I did this with my group about 7 years ago. I had been friends with the guys in the group for several years before the campaign and I could anticipate their actions with made it even better. I played them solo until level 3 and then they started to run into each other in various ways. This was actually part of a large campaign that I was planning with another DM where my guys who were all good alignment were completing quests that affecting the other DMs group who were evil alignment, and vis versa. In the end the two groups had to meet and face each other for control of the realm.

This is not something I would recommend unless you are well versed in the rules and know how to direct your players in the path you want them to travel.

Duly noted. Indeed I need more experience with playing with the rules. Thanks for the feedback! :D

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I would jump into running the game with the group and let them build up their character experience together, rather than apart. I can appreciate being nervous on your first time GMing. I get the same way even after GMing a bunch. (Although I'm primarily a player.) I find it's best to just jump in with both feet. Some things might not go perfectly but it's a learning experience.

I would jump into running the game with the group and let them build up their character experience together, rather than apart. I can appreciate being nervous on your first time GMing. I get the same way even after GMing a bunch. (Although I'm primarily a player.) I find it's best to just jump in with both feet. Some things might not go perfectly but it's a learning experience.

Thanks for the tips. I'm jumping in and taking the leap of faith. Hopefully I'll land on an invisible mirage bridge that shall help cross to the land of legends. If we shall fall, time to learn to skydiving. hahaha

Remove ads