Calidar: Dreams of Aerie

birelarweh

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Calidar -- Dreams of Aerie

I received the hardcover book just before Christmas, and I'm very happy with the quality of it. It has a feeling of parchment, and the art is a mix of full page art, like the front cover, and also black and white line drawings.

The content is very detailed in laying out the locations and personalities in this flying circus. I intend to use this as an occasional place to visit in my games, perhaps having the PCs visit once or twice before running the main adventure.

As for the main adventure, I'll have to read it in depth to be able to comment, so consider this a flip through review. One feature I think is very good though is the set of progressive events for each faction, so you can work through the suggested encounters depending on how the party proceeds with respect to each group.

Also worth noting are the excellent maps, and the included statistics for characters and monsters. While not based on any given RPG system, they are a good guideline for 'statting up' into whatever system I choose to use. Most likely I'd use the D&D Rules Cyclopedia or Whitehack, depending on the group.

Thorf

Explorer

Not just an adventure, but a sandbox mini-setting full of memorable characters, which can serve as a base to carry the PCs around the world after the adventure has run its course. There's enough here to keep the players busy for quite a while, should they wish to follow up all of the leads sprinkled throughout.

The adventure itself is a murder mystery, with a cast of close to a hundred to help — and hinder — the PCs in their investigations. With art from Eric Lofgren, Joe Garcia and Steven Cummings, and Bruce Heard's signature floor plans, the book contains a wealth of material for referees to run the mini-setting.

Five thumbs up!

Last edited:

Yaztromo

Explorer

The first aspect of Dreams of Aerie that impresses the reader are the artwork and the great, coloured maps.
Then you get the brilliant concept of this setting-adventure: it is a Flying Circus (in the sense that it is a circus set on a huge flying vessel) that constantly moves over the Great Caldera of Calidar (but, considering the situation and the setting, probably it won't be too difficult adapting it to any fantasy or stesm-punk setting of your choice), with plenty of strange and fun and scary performers, of course: a whole society, with its own relations, likes, dislikes, friendships, enemities, intrigues!
On this sandbox setting, you will have to do your investigation, and I can guarantee that you will find plenty of surprises, as it is usually the case, when you go to the circus!

Remove ads