Fourward Path

Possible the first time I thought of using hit points as a direct output of skill use was for the use of Intimidation to induce the enemy to give up the fight if the enemy is bloodied (you effectively did half their hit points to finish it)... ie instead of being an all or nothing that could be measured in hit points. Stealthing in to a combat scene may get you surprise and that extra attack opportunity IS much like doing more hit points as well.

This is obviously about applying skills toward or in a combat scenario...

One of the advantages of casting all challenges in the same way could be as you arent deciding as much "this is a combat scenario and this is not"

Yeah, I understand the temptation. I just feel like its a pathway to 'rules heavy' kind of. Beyond that, the REAL beauty of the SC system is just that it applies to anything. I mean, sure, not everything makes a really GOOD SC stood alone, but I don't think most of those kinds of things make a good ANYTHING mechanical. That is to say, if a situation is just 'plod onward doing the same thing 100x' is that even CONFLICT? I mean, why not reduce that to one check? Now you can put it in the greater context of a larger challenge. So, once you think that way, then challenges are operating on various tactical, operational, maybe even strategic levels if you want.

So, your examples are good examples of why HP as a currency is awesome, and downplaying 'conditions' or 'effects' such that they become what the guy calls 'geography' or 'situation' is a great thing in combat. I think having markers for situation within other challenges CAN be a good thing too, but a lot of times it would seem like HP or 'SP' is also pretty arbitrary. I don't feel as wedded to damage rolls as perhaps some people do either.

In the few cases where combat is a small element of a challenge, I don't see a problem with just saying at the end of the fight "OK, you got a success/failure" depending on the general outcome. If the bad guy manages to run away, well that's a failure he raised the alarm. If you ganked him right off, well that's a success. It isn't like this is some huge extra bookkeeping that IMHO warrants using a HP scaled currency. In fact I'd be more tempted to rework things so that HP was scaled more to SC success/fail and HS, lol.

pemerton

Legend
I think it is a reasonable discussion. I'm not finding myself super excited by the concept, any more than I have been by Wreccan or other people over the years expounding basically the same thing. Its not that it doesn't work, but it seems mostly like SCs with bigger numbers.

<snip>

I guess the question is, if you have a 'fighty' challenge, maybe the truth is it SHOULD be more of a variant of a combat encounter, outright. Perhaps this points more towards a better tool for making slightly more abstract 'combats'. So maybe the 'break into the castle' thing is run like a combat, but instead of a straight up grid to play on you have a map and the combatants move around in zones on the map, only getting into direct standard combat when they are in contact.
I only ever ran one infiltration. I can't remember if it was a skill challenge or a couple of individual skill checks. The main thing I did, which I think can work for the castle, is allow a successful check to "minionise" the enemies, so they are easily dispatched. If the check fails, then the fight is more of a real one.

In the case of a castle's defenders, I also think swarm rules come into their own.

I agree with you that I'm not that excited by giving skill challenges "hit points", and I'm not persuaded it solves the problem of bridging non-combat and combat: eg there is this fn to the third blog post:

That is, if you sneak past the guard and get him to down to zero, you should be taking him out (in whatever manner you see fit). If all you're doing is going past him and not actually impacting the situation, that's just a roll, not a challenge.​

I can see the reason for it - if you don't shank the guard, then how come s/he isn't going to show up later with full hp? Thus undermining the premise of the system.

But it seems to me that sneaking past a guard, and thus bringing it about that the guard isn't aware of your presence in the interesting place, is changing the situation!

I think the big issue here is that D&D - including 4e - simply doesn't have a uniform system for establishing consequences and fiction. In combat there is not only position as well as hit points, but there are also conditions of a mechanical variety, and fictional positioning that bleeds into them (like "not having perceived someone", being blocked by a wall or portcullis, etc). Trying to reduce them all to a single commodity - hit points - doesn't really work, in my view.

HeroWars/Quest gets much closer to this. So does another system I know better - Cortex+ Heroic. All abilities, all elements in the fiction, all consequences, are all Traits rated on the same scale (d4 to d12) with a uniform resolution system for relying upon them, trying to eliminate them, etc. So in Cortex+ you can sneak through the castle by establishing a No One Has Notice Me Yet asset (via a roll against the Doom Pool). If the GM narrates the presence of a guard, you can impose a You Haven't Noticed Me Yet complication (via an opposed check against the guard, perhaps buffed via the preceding asset). If - as the situation and fictional positioning unfold - you find yourself in combat with the guard, then the asset and complication may or may not help you, depending on the further details of the fictional positioning (eg are you fighting with your Bow and using your Deadly Sniper trait, or are you fighting with your Battle Axe using your Furious Rage trait?)

There are clear strengths to Cortex+ Heroic - the smooth interface of combat, social, etc; the uniform mechanics and traits; etc. There are features that might be seen as weaknesses compared to D&D or (say) BW or RQ or other games that use more "traditional" ways of handlling fiction, consequences etc. For instance, it is very abstract and not very gritty. Fictional positioning doesn't affect resolution (as opposed to framing) unless it has somehow been "mechanicsed" by being turned into a trait (so there's no "playing for fictional position", like taking the high ground or ducking for cover, independently of making checks to generate assets). This enhances the abstractness and lack of grittiness.

4e isn't gritty on the "gritty vs gonzo" spectrum, but it is very gritty on the "details matter vs abstract" spectrum, as far as combat is concerned, and in skill challenges elements of that grittiness are still relevant (eg equipment lists are meant to matter, and they're a different resource pool from powers, which are a different resource pool from rituals, etc).

So I'm not persuaded that these schemes for homogenisation are heading in the right direction. (On the other hand, fixiing skill maths (expected bonuses and DCs) so that it tracks combat maths (expected bonuses and defences) is a no-brainer, and it's almost criminal that they didn't get this right before they released it! Then it would be easy to (say) use Intimidate to inflict psychic damage via p 42, as an attack vs Will.)

I mean, lets take Climbing the Mountain, you can clearly implement this with ease as a classic SC. I can see some argument for basically having an SC mechanic where it is scaled with hit points so you can directly inject them into play as a 'currency', but that's about the most cogent argument in favor.
My thoughts were that it looks like a complexity 3 or 4 challenge, with damage (due to storm and avalanches) on a failed check - or perhaps with secondary group checks to avoid damage (I've done this before for environmental challenges) - and with an encounter with wolves (1 standard and 5 minions) as one check in the challenge (let's say that if they last more than a round, it counts as a failure due to the exhaustion of fighting them in the storm and the cold). His "scattered" could be implemented as a consequence for failure, breaking the character out of the group check and forcing them to make their own.

When I look also at the long list of things his method can't handle, I'm not persuaded that it's adding flexibility that justifies the extra complexity.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Frees the DM and Players to have PCs who do not care about wealth or want to hoard it or want to use it for ultimate world domination(until a monster shows and drives off all your synchopants)

Right. I would have liked to see this systemetized in some way.

It occurs to me that one of the problems with the 4e rituals and practices .... is the D&D economy is always insane phenomena.

IE more than one system takes a hit if either isnt sound.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
It occurs to me that one of the problems with the 4e rituals and practices .... is the D&D economy is always insane phenomena.

IE more than one system takes a hit if either isnt sound.
In my 4e game I gave a lot of treasure in the form of residuum rather than gold. It cuts out the pretence of an economy and cuts to the chase: this stuff is for use in rituals (including enchanting items, if you're so inclined).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In my 4e game I gave a lot of treasure in the form of residuum rather than gold. It cuts out the pretence of an economy and cuts to the chase: this stuff is for use in rituals (including enchanting items, if you're so inclined).

Nods realistically you might argue that there is always a translation ie a market for the power. I do also allow foraging of ritual components.

darkbard

Legend
IIt cuts out the pretence of an economy

This gets to the heart of one of my earlier posts, re wealth, etc. The 4E treasure parcels system is merely the pretence of an economy that is really about character build. I would have like a 4ward revision to have presented alternate rules that allowed for an actual economy to work side-by-side with the PC build system in place.

MoutonRustique

Explorer
This gets to the heart of one of my earlier posts, re wealth, etc. The 4E treasure parcels system is merely the pretence of an economy that is really about character build. I would have like a 4ward revision to have presented alternate rules that allowed for an actual economy to work side-by-side with the PC build system in place.
The difficulty here is that as soon as $ can be translated to power (and it always can without DMs going "NO!") it automatically integrates...

To make this idea work, you'd have to dramatically change how magic items work. Random ideas that maybe could help make this work :
- item power gated by character power (level)
- robust time requirements for consumables (both in terms of purchase time and shelf-life)
- all items require recharge/maintenance costs (significant)
- robust limits on availability of items (similar to 1st)

But even with all this, you run the risk of creating a game called : "Dungeons and Merchants"...

darkbard

Legend
The difficulty here is that as soon as $ can be translated to power (and it always can without DMs going "NO!") it automatically integrates...

To make this idea work, you'd have to dramatically change how magic items work. Random ideas that maybe could help make this work :
- item power gated by character power (level)
- robust time requirements for consumables (both in terms of purchase time and shelf-life)
- all items require recharge/maintenance costs (significant)
- robust limits on availability of items (similar to 1st)

But even with all this, you run the risk of creating a game called : "Dungeons and Merchants"...

All true enough. Nevertheless, 4E works with a built in assumption that PCs progress from local to regional to planar "players" but doesn't really have a social system to make this part of play (while it does, obviously, do so with regard to the combat system). 1E, for all its warts (in my retrospective opinion), at least had systems in place, however minimal, for becoming a "lord" (or similar named level rank), and the game expanded accordingly.

Aside from the very tangential "equipment" of MME, etc., which at least lists prices for towers and such, there is no system in place to make this a part of play with rules that have outcomes that affect the shared fiction, etc. Everything is free form as a kind of contract between player and GM, which is so different from everything else in 4E, which gets systematized with mechanics (combat, skill challenges).

All true enough. Nevertheless, 4E works with a built in assumption that PCs progress from local to regional to planar "players" but doesn't really have a social system to make this part of play (while it does, obviously, do so with regard to the combat system). 1E, for all its warts (in my retrospective opinion), at least had systems in place, however minimal, for becoming a "lord" (or similar named level rank), and the game expanded accordingly.

Aside from the very tangential "equipment" of MME, etc., which at least lists prices for towers and such, there is no system in place to make this a part of play with rules that have outcomes that affect the shared fiction, etc. Everything is free form as a kind of contract between player and GM, which is so different from everything else in 4E, which gets systematized with mechanics (combat, skill challenges).

LOL, I'm talking about my game design again...

I abstracted wealth. In other words there IS a 'currency system' in HoML, but its just set dressing. When you make expenditures they fall into the categories of 'trivial', 'minor', and 'major'. There's a chart which equates this to 'gold pieces' so that the GM can describe a treasure of some explicit size, but in terms of what the characters DO they simply make trivial, minor, or major expenses of a given level, with something that may be major for a low level character perhaps becoming minor or even trivial at higher tiers. So a night's lodging is a minor expense at level 1, and by level 8 its trivial. Likewise purchasing a suite of plate armor would be a major expense at 3rd level, but minor for a 10th level PC.

In terms of what happens when you incur an expense, if it is a trivial expense, then nothing happens. Granted, a higher level PC could simply camp in the Green Dragon Inn for all eternity, but that would be equally the case in 4e where he's probably got 1000's of days worth of expenses in his belt pouch. Its just making explicit what the game already effectively does.

Minor expenses could 'add up'. They are probably plot-relevant, so they would come within the realm of elements of a conflict of some sort, and thus be materialized in the form of a check. I haven't formally written this up, but I would simply call this a 'wealth check'. Should the character find himself insufficiently funded (IE failing the check) then either the cost is beyond his means, or his means have fallen on hard times! Given that I have a 'degree of success/failure' mechanic that means the degree of failure can indicate which of these is the case. Players can elect to spend resources to improve their chances, or even expend 'Inspiration' to alter their circumstances, so lack of funds should normally become either an occasion for creative play, or an instance of substituting some other type of resource in its place.

Major expenses pretty much work the same as minor ones, except they are just more significant. By incurring a major expense a PC actually depletes their wealth, making future wealth checks either infeasible or considerably less likely to succeed. It hasn't happened in play, but its not that far-fetched to think of a PC 'going broke'.

Interesting things happen with this system since it has ways to substitute different resources. A character could spend an HS and utilize a technique he knows "I slit my finger and expend an HS to complete the material components of the ritual using the technique 'Blood is Power' this is now an Endurance check, not Arcana."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases