Season 8 will switch to the Organized Play rules presented in XGTE

darjr

I crit!
I love this idea except for one thing.

The milestones in some adventures allowed for the players to spend as much time in a chapter as they wanted to, using this may level the characters out of a chapter too fast.

rczarnec

Explorer
A character reaches 1 checkpoint for each hour an adventure is designed to last. If a character completes an adventure designed for a higher tier than the character's current tier, the character is awarded one additional checkpoint (may not apply to AL if tiering remains).

At levels 1-4 it takes 4 checkpoints to advance to the next level.
At level 5 and above, it takes 8 checkpoints to reach the next level.

Basically you level up every 4 hours in tier 1 and 8 hours thereafter. This is true regardless of whether or not the characters accomplish anything or just hang out in an inn.

Nagol

Unimportant
Assuming the award is based on the adventure design and not the actual time, it's not particularly abusable. Level 20 in 35 level-appropriate 4-hour adventures, 32 if the player constantly punches up.

What is the advantage over typical milestone play or even basic xp awards though? What behaviour is it trying to incent/disincent?

darjr

I crit!
It’s trying to allow all kinds of play, even play that wouldn’t otherwise earn xp. Which I think is awesome, with my one caveat of a concern.

Nagol

Unimportant
It’s trying to allow all kinds of play, even play that wouldn’t otherwise earn xp. Which I think is awesome, with my one caveat of a concern.

So does milestone leveling. So does xp granted as a quest reward. If the checkpoint award is as described above "1 checkpoint for each hour an adventure is designed to last" then assigning milestones or xp would accomplish the same thing since all should get assigned at the end of the adventure (conceptually at least). Now, if the award is 1 checkpoint per hour of table play I see a clear difference.

Nagol

Unimportant
Thinking a bit more about it, the one thing I see it doing is incenting the party to concentrate on completing an adventure and skipping any optional areas / secondary objectives.

XP and treasure incents "collect them all" attitudes -- look in every room.
Milestone incents completing sub-objectives and plot advancement.
Checkpoint incents "get to the end".

rczarnec

Explorer
I am not sure what it is intended to incent.

From the book, "A character played for 10 hours reaches the same number of checkpoints, whether the character went up against a dragon or spent all that time lurking in a pub."

Remove ads