What is *worldbuilding* for?

pemerton

Legend
Perhaps games like D&D aren't for you.
Well, I've been playing D&D and related games since 1982.

What's not particularly for me is a game like the following:

I do all this because I find it enjoyable. I enjoy world building. Otherwise I wouldn't do it. The game is not just about the players - the DM gets to have fun too. In this case - it's MY CAMPAIGN. I created the world and the players get to explore it. They may give me ideas for new areas to flesh out, but ultimately it is my creation and I have the final say on anything that affects the world. They control their characters, I control the world. They influence the world through the actions of their characters and through the parts of their backstories that I choose to incorporate into the game. Together we tell a story.

My enjoyment comes from creating the world and having them experience it. Their enjoyment comes from exploring it, watching their characters grow and become part of that world​

I've never GMed a game in that style, and when I first played in such a game - in 1990 - after a couple of weeks I and the other players "sacked" the GM and started a game in which players made contributions that went beyond "exploring" the GM's fiction (which, non-metaphorically, = the GM telling them stuff that s/he wrote).

I find your lack of understanding completely believable.
The only agency I can see in the game that you and [MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION] describe is that the players - in the play of their PCs - get to make suggestions to the GM as to what s/he should say next: eg they can say "I look for the map in the study", and the GM may tell them that they find it, or may not, depending on some mix of what is written in the GM's notes, what the GM thinks makes for a good game/good story, and what is rolled in some dice.

Depending on the details of the set-up, the players may also be able to make choices which determine which bit of the notes the GM reads first (eg if they decide their PCs go to the woods, the GM reads out that bit; if they decied their PCs go to the hills, the GM reads out that other bit).

That's not zero agency, but in the context of a game in which a significant goal is the collective generation of a shared fiction, it is rather passive.

It contrasts fairly markedly, for instance, with a game where the GM is not allowed to change what's written in his/her notes, and hence, therefore, in which the players have some chance of unravelling the mystery of those notes (what @howandhwy99 calls "solving the puzzle and the game rules behind the screen"). In that sort of RPGing, action declaration isn't just a suggestion/requet to the GM to narrate some more fiction. It's actually a move in a game.

Based on the evidence presented in this discussion, playing games like that may render you incapable of understanding even basic concepts associated with playing D&D.
I've played a lot of D&D. There can be more to D&D than the players taking an imaginary trip through the GM's world and story.

But that is one answer to the question "What is world building for?" To provide the material for the GM to read to the players, which will constitute that imagined trip.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Well, I've been playing D&D and related games since 1982.

And you still state that you are confused by and cannot understand relatively basic concepts associated with D&D. That is indeed unfortunate. I sincerely hope you figure it out someday.

What's not particularly for me is a game like the following:

I've never GMed a game in that style, and when I first played in such a game - in 1990 - after a couple of weeks I and the other players "sacked" the GM and started a game in which players made contributions that went beyond "exploring" the GM's fiction (which, non-metaphorically, = the GM telling them stuff that s/he wrote).

At least you recognize your limitations and moved onto a different type of game. I hope you enjoyed it.

The only agency I can see in the game that you and [MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION] describe is that the players - in the play of their PCs - get to make suggestions to the GM as to what s/he should say next: eg they can say "I look for the map in the study", and the GM may tell them that they find it, or may not, depending on some mix of what is written in the GM's notes, what the GM thinks makes for a good game/good story, and what is rolled in some dice.

If you say that is all you are capable of seeing, I believe you. It is unfortunate your understanding is so limited, but we all must work with what we have.

Depending on the details of the set-up, the players may also be able to make choices which determine which bit of the notes the GM reads first (eg if they decide their PCs go to the woods, the GM reads out that bit; if they decied their PCs go to the hills, the GM reads out that other bit).

That's not zero agency, but in the context of a game in which a significant goal is the collective generation of a shared fiction, it is rather passive.

In your opinion. And as you've already pointed out, there is much that confuses you, or that you simply do not understand.

It contrasts fairly markedly, for instance, with a game where the GM is not allowed to change what's written in his/her notes, and hence, therefore, in which the players have some chance of unravelling the mystery of those notes (what @howandhwy99 calls "solving the puzzle and the game rules behind the screen"). In that sort of RPGing, action declaration isn't just a suggestion/requet to the GM to narrate some more fiction. It's actually a move in a game.

That is one style of DM'ing and world building, and it can be quite fun. But it's certainly not the only one. A variety of playstyles and DM'ing styles can be fun and enjoyable. You seem to have identified a style you don't enjoy, and that too is fine. Different people want different things out of the games they play.

For me, the point is that both the DM and the players enjoy the experience. Everything else is secondary.

I've played a lot of D&D. There can be more to D&D than the players taking an imaginary trip through the GM's world and story.
Indeed, on that point we agree. You just seem to be confused about how it can actually work in D&D. It probably good that you moved on to other games that better suit your needs.

But that is one answer to the question "What is world building for?" To provide the material for the GM to read to the players, which will constitute that imagined trip.

That does seem to be the only answer that you don't find confusing.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
It doesn't. Really, it won't taint you. I think maybe there is just a large barrier in trying to explain the style, especially if you are steeped in traditional DnD style of play. It's not all that strange or nutty, otherwise all those indie games would have never taken off. It's looking at rpging through a different lens, but it's still roleplaying, and players are still engaged in challenging adventures.

See, now I'm worried that it might negatively impact my ability to recognize humor in written form when I encounter it.

pemerton

Legend
[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION], in my view much of what you say about the significance of non-wargamers playing D&D, and the effect on widespread/mainstream approaches to play, is uncontroversial. So I'm only replying to those bits of your post where I think I have a meaningful disagreement, or have something to add this is relevant to the thread topic.

I think the living world is a HUGE strength of tabletop roleplaying games. If someone wants a static world that doesn't change, where they can scout and learn patterns and know their enemies never move, they'll play a video game. That's pretty much what they excel at.
Well, c 1979 Lewis Pulsipher described the role of the GM in wargame-style D&D as being a "friendly computer with discretion". (I think I'm getting the quote right.)

The difference between a wargame RPG and a video game - which relates to the referee's discretion - is that in a RPG fictional positioning matters, and there is no limit on the permissible moves. To give a banal example: if a player deducts the right number of coins from his/her PC sheet, and writes "shovel" on his/her equipment list, then if - later on in play - the GM describes the PCs as arriving in a room with a dirt floor, the player can declare "I use my shovel to dig up the floor and see if anything is buried there!"

That's not feasible in a choose-your-own-adventure book (where the number of permitted moves in each situation is strictly limited by what the author has written, which is in turn limited by page count as well as imagination).

I have basically no familiarity with modern computer games other than having watched some friends play WOW aroudn a decade ago, and having watched some kids play minecraft. So I don't know how powerful modern games are in terms of allowing fictional positioning to be a significant factor in action declaration and resolution. I'm going to guess, however, that humans are still better at that particular aspect of adjudication (even if the computer is obviously better at managing many other aspects of refereeing, like all the arithemtic ones).

Anyway, my point is that a "living, breathing, world" isn't the only attraction of a RPG over a video game, and I think - among the proponents of the wargming style - it was that ability to play on fictional positioning that was the predominant significance of the shared fiction, rather than its character as a "living, breathing world".

As our discussion of dates and styles shows, I think it's hard to put a precise timeframe around changes in typical approaches to RPGing. No doubt Runequest is a significant publication event, but it comes out of a prior culture of play (the West Coast D&Ders, I think, whom Lewis Pulsiher was rather critical off in his essays/articles around that time). A publication event that I see as a paradigm of the shift, though, is the Planescape Module Dead Gods. That is chock full of "living, breath, world"-type stuff; but the ability of the players to actually affect things through action declarations, including the exploitation of their PCs' fictional positioning, is close to zero.

The contrast with White Plume Mountain or Tomb of Horrors - no living, breathing world and backstories that are the barest veneer over a series of gameplay challenges; but in which the opportunities to exploit fictional positioning and make good game moves abound (although in ToH are, in my view, very tedious) - could hardly be starker.

To me that comes off less as a puzzle/ challenge and more a scripted encounter where enemies respawn. It means the players past actions have little impact—no matter how many giants they killed outside and how many serving maids were slain reinforcements arrive.
It's only a puzzle if you need to find a way to "solve" the encounter, bypassing the conflict.
It's a puzle in this sense: the players have to decide whether this is really a social encounter, which they can use to their benefit; or whether it's a combat encounter, in which case kneeling before the queen is almost certainly going to impose some sort of disadvantage (as it turns out it turns her into a vorpal backstabber, but I'm prepared to treat that as a quirk of classic D&D's relative shortage of systematic resolution mechanics).

The puzzle can be solved by such devices as a Wand of Enemy Detection, or a Medallion of ESP, or a Detect Evil or ESP spelll, etc. Or, less mechanically and more fictional positioning based, the PCs might capture and interrogate one of her maid servants - who could tell them about the Queen's pets, and perhaps even her penchant for asking intruders to kneel so she can decapitate them.

This sort of play, which engages the fiction even though the fiction is artificial/inane, is more viable if the scope of the fiction is relatively confined.

pemerton said:
Without this artificiality, that style of play can't work, as the players can't scout, collect information and then plan and execute raids.
If that were even remotely true, it would be impossible to execute scouting missions and raids in the real world. Which happen all the time.

<snip>

it just adds another dynamic: stealth. Having to avoid attracting attention. Quick strikes before the alarm can be raised
I think comparisons to reality are unhelpful. In reality, I learn the situation by looking around and scanning with my eyes; by listening carefully; by smelling the air; etc. A couple of weeks ago I went for a walk in some forested hills outside Melbourne. When I heard rustlinging in the bushes, I stopped and looked. On a few occasions I saw birds. On one occasion I could see the foliage moving, but couldn't see what it was that was moving it. On another occasion, I saw an echidna.

Playing a RPG in which my PC is scouting is nothing like this. The way I learn what is going on is by making moves - that is, fictionally positoining my PC, or declaring actions, or both - which then trigger narration from the GM. There is no sensory input independent of the desires of human beings. Generally, there is little narration independent of my desires, as I have to do stuff - make the moves - to trigger the GM's narration.

And the GM's narration will almost inevitably focus on mattes that the GM regards as interesting and/or salient. In the course of a 4-hour wnader through the woods, I spent perhaps 15 or 20 minutes paying attention to the things I had heard rustling - the largest block of that time was spent looking at the echidna, as it's the closest I've ever come to one oustide a zoo. But if the PCs go on a four hour scouting mission, almost no GM is going to spend 20 minutes (or more, if they want to cover all the sensory inputs that I was taking in simultaneously) describing all that stuff, and letting the players decide what to make of it.

The direction, focus and content of play is going to be very significantly shaped by the GM's own narrational priorities, unless there is some other device for circumventing those.

One device is to put a limit on GM moves; but then we're back to some form of static design, and have lost the "living, breathing" aspect.

Another device of that sort, which I'm most familiar with is, the skill-challenge style complex resolution system (the earliest explicity version of it that I know is in Maelstrom Storytelling, 1997; it's then found in HeroWars, 2001 (I think); in BW; in 4e; in Cortex+; and surely many other RPGs I'm not so familiar with - does Fate use it?) - where the resolution focuses on the players setting a goal for their PCs, the resolution structure then leads the group through the process of attaining or failing at that goal, with changes in the content of the fiction and in fictional positionig taking place on the way through, and yielding an outcome at the end.

But a distincive requirement of those systems is that they depend upon the details of the fiction - the worldbuilding - not being fully established at the start, because flexibility in respect of this is a necessary element to enable the narrative to be developed as the PCs' fortunes wax and/or wane.

If resolution proceeds, though, in the context of a "square by square"/"hex by hex", wargaming-style scouting by the PCs (as the players' vechicles), and with no limits on GM moves, and with the players only able to get information by making moves that prompts the GM to tell them the stuff that s/he thinks is salient - well, I think this is a very hard puzzle/maze to beat.

Add into the repertoire of GM permitted moves that s/he can (secretly) thwart any player action declaration at any time by (secretly) writing new backstory (which is what [MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] were discussing in the context of GM authority over the fiction) - well, then I think it gets even harder.

No matter what system is being played, I'm not going to let the rolls of a character solve a "puzzle" or riddle. I might give a clue, reflecting the character's superiour intelligence compared to the player, and any in world knowledge. But thought is still required.
OK. I'm not sure how that relates to my example, though. As I said, in Cortex+ Heroic you can't run a classic dungeon crawl, because the fiction isn't pre-authored in the right way to support that. As in the example I gave, strange runes or carvings aren't a riddle to be solved; they're an element of the fiction that establishes the basis for action declarations like the one I described (ie "They might be a map - let's see [frames check, rolls dice, beats Doom Pool] - yes, they are, we're here and here's how we get to there [rubs Lost in the Dungeon complication of character sheet]").

If the game being played isn't a classic skill-played dungeon craw, then the GM's worldbuilding provides setting and flavour. Description of the environs. Characters for the world.
The nature of worldbuilding doesn't change at all really. Creating the walls of the dungeon or the provinces of a kingdom are the same thing. If you move through the adventure's plot by advancing from dungeon room to dungeon room or from scene to scene, it's functionally the same.
Well, classic dungeon crawling didn't really involve moving through the adventure's plot. As we see in Gygax's PHB, the players set an objective for the session (eg finding a staricase to the next level down), and then try to achieve that objective without getting lost in the dungeon, beaten up by monsters, or foolishly lured into trouble by the GM's clever tricks, wandering monsters, etc.

The setting is the framework in which the making and carrying out of these plans happens. Describing it as a maze or puzzle isn't perfect, but is an attempt to convey the idea. (Luke Crane describes it thus: "Since the exploration side of the game is cross between Telephone and Pictionary, I must sit impassive as the players make bad decisions. I want them to win. I want them to solve the puzzles, but if I interfere, I render the whole exercise pointless.")

I think creating the provinces of a kingdom (oustide the contxt of a Diplomacy-type game, where the players play the kingdoms or their rulers) is quite different. Whatever exactly it is for, it's not part of a game that is a cross between Telephone and Pictionary.

I agree with you that setting, in a RPG, contributes setting and flavour. Description of the environs. Characters for the world. Is there anything more distinctive or unique to be said about what GM pre-authored setting does (outside the cross-between-Telephone-and-Pictionary context)?

pemerton

Legend
A variety of playstyles and DM'ing styles can be fun and enjoyable.
I didn't think that was controversial. I assume that your players enjoy playing in your game, otherwise, why would they?

That doesn't tell me whether or not they're passive, though. As you yourself posted,

You know this is a game and not a creative writing assignment for the players, right?

You are making the assumption that a) the players WANT to write that much stuff about things that don't directly affect their character (i.e. a thousand year history for a country in my campaign world), and b) that the purpose of the game is for the players to create the world.

I can tell you for a fact that not every player wants to write an extensive background (or any background at all). And that's fine, if they don't enjoy it they shouldn't be forced to do it or made to feel lacking because of it. Some players really don't care about "depth" or "richness" - they want loot and combat. Others want to be part of a story and influence the world.

If players want only, or primarily loot and combat, then presumably they're happy for the GM to control all of the fiction, and just serve up combats with loots following behind them. (That seems to be how some modules work, eg many of the encounters in, and especially the dungeon at the end of, the 3E adventure Bastion of Broken Souls; the Horned Hold mini-dungeon in the 4e adventure Thunderspire Labyrinth; and plenty of others I've read.)

If players want to "influence the world", then how does that work? Does the GM relinquish control over the setting - in which case it's no longer His/her campaign? Or does the player make suggestions, which the GM incorporates or not based on his/her conception of how his/her campaign world works?

pemerton said:
There can be more to D&D than the players taking an imaginary trip through the GM's world and story.
Indeed, on that point we agree. You just seem to be confused about how it can actually work in D&D.
Well, given that I've done it in D&D I know how it can work.

If you think it can work in a game in which the GM pre-authors the seting, and in which the GM is free to change that setting secretly if s/he wants, andin which the players only know those bits of the setting that the GM has narrated to them, and the GM is free to rely on secret elements of the setting to stipulate that action declarations fail - please tell me what you have in mind.

A concrete example: a player wants to influence the setting by turning one ancient religious faction against another. This is going to depend upon a range of factors - theological/cosmological argument; histories of conflict or condordance between the factions; which leading personalities, both in the past and in the present, are assocated with the factions; etc.

In the real world, a person might start learning all that stuff by going to a reearch library; than interviewing various people; etc. In a RPG in wich the GM is sole author of all those elements of the fiction, the player can only learn that stuff by having the GM provide summaries, short (50 to 100 word) paraphrases of the outcomes of reading books, talking to people, etc. How is the player going to prise that stuff free of the GM's presentation and framing of it so as to actually carry out his/her plan independently of the GM's view about the propsects for its success or failure?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I didn't think that was controversial. I assume that your players enjoy playing in your game, otherwise, why would they?

That doesn't tell me whether or not they're passive, though.

Nor was it intended to. It's kind of irrelevant to the question of worldbuilding. If that was something you actually wanted to know about, you should have said so.

As you yourself posted,

You seem to like repeating stuff I've said back to me. I find this curious. Do you worry that I've forgotten what I wrote? Or are you confused by it?

If players want to "influence the world", then how does that work? Does the GM relinquish control over the setting - in which case it's no longer His/her campaign? Or does the player make suggestions, which the GM incorporates or not based on his/her conception of how his/her campaign world works?

I'd tell you, but it's kind of complicated. You've already encountered several concepts in this discussion that you claim to find confusing or simply don't understand. I don't want to add to your mental stress.

Well, given that I've done it in D&D I know how it can work.
Perhaps one way it can work. Given the number of things you've stated that you don't understand or find confusing, I'm willing to bet there are more ways it can work than you think there are.

If you think it can work in a game in which the GM pre-authors the seting, and in which the GM is free to change that setting secretly if s/he wants, andin which the players only know those bits of the setting that the GM has narrated to them, and the GM is free to rely on secret elements of the setting to stipulate that action declarations fail - please tell me what you have in mind.

Eh, like I said. It's complicated. I'm afraid you would just find it confusing, and I don't want that on my conscience .

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], I have to make dinner so will try to simmer this down to essentials for now, but I'm also trying to get at the crux rather than spend energy with endless asides and details.

In the campaign style that I'm discussing--I can only speak for myself, but think it is basically representative of "traditional D&D" (not classic)--a PC has just as much agency as you and I have in this world, and even a touch more in that a player gets more of a say in his or her backstory. It is, to use the GNS phrase (although not necessarily in the exact way that Edwards intended), an imaginative simulation.

Is that understood? It is not less agency, but actually slightly more. So if you'd characterize this style of game play with "player passivity," then I assume you see yourself and human beings in general as inherently passive, because you and I have less agency than a PC in traditional D&D-style game play (unless we're talking about pre-generated players or other tournament-style requirements, but I think that is a different matter - and one of the reasons I never have played tournaments...I want more agency in character creation!).

Based upon what you said in your response, I also assume that you want your gaming experience to not echo the degree of agency you and I have in the real world, but to be something more. Is that correct? In other words, your enjoyment of the RPG experience depends upon you feeling that players have (signficantly) more agency than we do in real life?

Which brings me to the crux of the matter. I already alluded to this above, but in addition to GM authority I think the other major difference in the "Pemertonian style" vs. the "traditional style" is the degree to which meta-gaming is part of the experience. In the traditional style, the GM is the creator and storyteller, and the players are actors within the world. The point is to simulate the experience of real life, but in a shared imaginary space. The player "inhabits" the character (or role), and acts as if they are the character within the setting. Thus role-playing.

Your approach seems more that of characters as game pawns utilized by the players, who in turn are partially responsible--or at least able to--direct some of the unfolding action in a meta-game sense. This meta-game aspect is, I think, what breaks immersion for me...and it is what broke immersion for me in 4E combat. And I do think the meta-game aspect and (diminished) GM authority correlate to some degree.

More later...

Sebastrd

Explorer

You're so cute, Pemerton, with your deliberately obtuse shtick. Clearly, if I have a ball and let you play with it - relinquish control, in other words - its no longer my ball.

I will admit, for the sake of argument, that any GM who declares ownership over the campaign is overstepping. However, I think it's perfectly reasonable for a GM to declare ownership over the campaign setting. Many of us put a LOT of effort into developing our campaign settings to include NPCs, geography, situations, maps, motivations, etc. Most players put proportionally less work into the game; they roll up their characters, perhaps include a backstory, and show up with some dice. GMing a simulated living, breathing world in which the players can explore and adventure involves a ton of work. Personally, I spend about the same amount of time developing an adventure as the players spend playing through it. I think I've earned the right to have substantially more say over what exists or can feasibly happen in the setting I created.

I'll also admit that most GMs seem way too possessive about their settings and NPCs. It's immensely important to understand that the setting exists primarily as a vehicle for the players to reach their goals - to be heroes. The villains' primary function is to oppose the players but ultimately fail. The entire campaign world should be a challenge for the players to overcome - assuming they play intelligently, work together, and roll well when it counts. Failure should be an option for them, as well, or their victories will feel hollow.

D&D may have its roots in wargames and mazes full of monsters, traps, and loot; but it has evolved far beyond those. I consider TTRPGs primarily a mechanism for shared storytelling, because that's the one aspect of a TTRPG that cannot be replicated in a book or videogame. Someone has to develop the shared world in which that storytelling takes place, and it usually falls to the GM to do so.

In professional wrestling terms, I view my role as GM as similar to a jobber. My role is to sell the players' moves and amp up the excitement but ultimately lose the match. I'm fine with that role. However, in return, I retain a certain degree of control over the campaign world. It's an arrangement that always works for me and my my table.

Glenn Fleetwood

First Post
The answer here is I thought, self-evident.

However, I reject the idea that the 'classic' game was ever about just dungeons.

I was there at the start... it wasn't even then.

As for world building - the following words and phrases sum up the point of it all;

Verisimilitude / Suspension of Disbelief / Immersion.

Roleplaying is semi-structured storytelling without a fixed plot - one cannot have a story without a setting, nor enjoy a story without being to some extent immersed in it.

Read any good book, or watch a decent film set 'somewhere else'.

Now try to imagine that story with no setting...

... it doesn't work does it...

The 'world' of the story is in effect one of the characters, and shapes the protagonists and antagonists alike.

Anyway - all of this is pretty obvious. I am not sure why the question arises to be honest.

Sadras

Legend
@pemerton, when I was a teenager and I got into D&D, the classic dungeon style play with the static monsters was quickly, through my own logic, replaced with a living breathing dungeon world. I cannot imagine that Gygax as an adult didn't dismiss the static dungeon too, all you have to do is look at the ToEE.

What purpose do you think the worldbuilding of The Village of Hommlet (1979) serves?

Last edited:

Remove ads